Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 348,390 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Portland OR with our two kids. He is originally from New England, and lately we have been toying with the idea of moving back east. We love this city, however the real estate prices are getting more and more out of control every month. We own currently, but we'd like a third bedroom and a yard and that probably isn't going to happen here in a neighborhood with a decent school assignment. Further, I think Oregon is in the bottom half of school rankings nationally whereas New Hampshire is in the top 5. Being close to family is another "check" in the NH column.

I am intrigued by Exeter because of the reputation of the schools, downtown with restaurants and amenities, Amtrak station, and proximity to the beaches.

I can find houses online in Exeter in the $250,000-$300,000 range that would cost $500,000+ here. We just want 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, a yard, a garage, and a bonus would be a finished basement or attic space. Online it appears the property taxes on these homes are about $6,000 - $7,000/year. That is comparable to what we currently pay in property and income tax combined so it doesn't feel like a barrier.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Are the property taxes noted on real estate sites (like realtor.com) the total tax burden for that property? Or, are there other taxes we need to know about?

2. Is Exeter a nice place to live and raise kids? Are the schools actually great?

3. The snow and bugs are on my "con" list. But I did spend five years in New England during college and after, and I mostly loved the seasons, landscape, people, etc. Any other "issues" with Exeter or southern NH in general we would need to be aware of?

4. I also love Portsmouth (my husband used to take me there in college) but it seems the real estate is a bit pricier there and the schools not as highly rated. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:32 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
1. Are the property taxes noted on real estate sites (like realtor.com) the total tax burden for that property? Or, are there other taxes we need to know about?
Sites like realtor are not correct AT ALL. Just an estimate. If you want to look up the taxes for a house in exeter, go here. Vision Government Solutions No other local taxes. Look up the house and it will tell you the property value say $456,000. Take the tax rate of exeter $26.06 per thousand and multiply it times 456 and you get $11,883.36 taxes per year.

Quote:
2. Is Exeter a nice place to live and raise kids? Are the schools actually great?
Nice town. Public schools are good. The best school in town is private, Philips exeter acadamy and costs $45k per year. Yes, that school is great.

Quote:
3. The snow and bugs are on my "con" list. But I did spend five years in New England during college and after, and I mostly loved the seasons, landscape, people, etc. Any other "issues" with Exeter or southern NH in general we would need to be aware of?
Heating expenses. As the cost of energy has fluctuated greatly in the last 10 years, it would be beneficial to buy an efficient home to insulate yourself from price changes.

Quote:
4. I also love Portsmouth (my husband used to take me there in college) but it seems the real estate is a bit pricier there and the schools not as highly rated. Is this true?
Portsmouth schools are likely just as good as exeter. Exeter has a smaller town feeling. Portsmouth has more resources for the kids like multiple public pools, etc. I would also say Portsmouth is more interesting, cultural, restaurants, parks, events, etc.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Take a look at Dover. Nice town in the general area & might give you a better bang for the buck.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Take a look at Dover. Nice town in the general area & might give you a better bang for the buck.
Yes, more for your money but Dover school system is horrible. And with all the renters, its not a very desirable town.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:34 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Exeter does have very high property taxes and house prices are not low for what you get. I agree with the Dover suggestion, lots of properties on some acreage right outside the city limits as well.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM

242 posts, read 244,576 times
Take a look a Bedford nh. Schools here are great.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Exeter does have very high property taxes and house prices are not low for what you get. I agree with the Dover suggestion, lots of properties on some acreage right outside the city limits as well.
Exeter $26.06 per thousand
Dover 26.01 per thousand

On a $300k home, Dover is $15 cheaper per year.

You really cant put a price tag on living in a better city with better schools. A more modest house in a nicer town would be preferable to me.

Compare the police logs between Dover and Exeter. You will see the difference.....

Old 06-15-2015, 03:42 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
The grass is always greener.

You're gonna pack up the kids, quit your jobs, seek new employment, new town, and for what?
Some illusionary vision of a bigger yard?

Let's look at some figures. The population of Portland Oregon itself is equal to half the population of the entire state of New Hampshire. All sorts of amenities, stores, services, etc. is going to be a fraction of what you have access to now.

You best have a super rock solid marriage to make such a drastic move such as this.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

311 posts, read 348,390 times
Thank you to everyone for the helpful suggestions. 399083453, thank you for the tax tool, I will refer to that in the future.

As for the poster who expressed concerns about the strength of my marriage, my job, and my motivations for moving... um, OK? Really? My husband and I have been together for 15 years, married for 10 we've weathered rockier transitions. I don't have a job to quit, I'm a full time stay at home mom so that job moves with us. Moving to NH is only a option if my H receives an expected promotion which would essentially allow him to work anywhere relatively close to an airport. Right now we are 3000+ miles from both our families, in NH we would be within easy driving distance to both. My kids haven't started school yet and I'd prefer to move before they do start.

And yes, Portland is lovely. Have you visited? Everyone wants to live here. That's why $300,000 will buy you an 800 sq/ft fixer across the street from a registered sex offender and in the boundaries of a failing school.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
I have lived in Exeter in the past and live in Portland (northeast) presently, by coincidence. From Exeter you'd have access to both the Manchester airport (Southwest Air service the main attraction) and obviously Logan a bit farther away.

Personally I would choose Exeter over Portland in a heartbeat, assuming you can find work to pay the mortgage. Part of that is that I prefer the scale. But while there is cheaper housing in Portland than what's noted above, yeah, you won't get into a good school district on $250k.

Dover public schools may be a step down from Exeter, but with the cost savings on housing you could potentially go private for schooling. 6 of one half-dozen of something else perhaps. STA is a very good high school, and of course there's Exeter.

I haven't priced them lately, but I think the cost quoted above is tuition plus room/board, and as a local you'd be a "Day Student" living at home and without the room/board cost. Had friends who did that:

Phillips Exeter Academy | Day Students

Edit - Day student cost would be $36,000, but they do provide some financial aid/remission assistance based on income. Income under $75,000 would, by their website, qualify for a full tuition remission. All of that, however, assumes one can get in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire