Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 PM

238 posts, read 823,843 times

Advertisements

Yet another reason why I am looking so closely at NH is the homeschooling laws in comparison to the other NE states. They still seem like alot considering I'm from a state with no oversight, no notification, no testing, or any of that but considering some of the others( Mass seems just ridiculous when it comes to this) I would comply with those.
My main question though is-
Is there a homeschool presence in NH? Rural areas is mostly what I'm talking about of course. Is it considered "normal" or is there a stigma attached? I ask because where I'm from it's very common but when I lived up north( well not as far noth as yall, was in Maryland) it wasn't very common at all. Anyways, thanks again. Yall are a big help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times
I have to jump in on this one. I homeschooled my son in Houston. It was just becoming popular there (he's pushing 30 now). And I didn't give a rat's as* if it was popular or he was stigmatized when I did it as it was best for him--and neither should you. The kid will live and learn to be resilient, if you let him.
There are programs you can buy that are set up that the child can do by themselves, more or less. They have been around well over 100 years now, and, if you want information, p.m. me. They are accredited in EVERY State, also.
Just don't sign your kid up for public school when you move probably is what I would do.
Myself, I just pulled my kid out and said he was going to X school in Houston next (a private one). Nobody checked--and this was one of the BEST public schools in Houston that people fought to get into. Do you really think public schools really care all that much about one kid? Don't kid yourself.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition

^^^site for NH home schooling coalition

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the response. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough in the first posting though and gave you the wrong idea. I'm a big believer in homeschooling and I won't be caring what people think about it really. I simply asked to see if there would be a homeschooling presence for support groups, other homeschooling kiddos- sometimes they get together for sports,field trips etc, even if there isn't that's just fine. Just curious.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times
And don't listen to the fools who wonder if your kid will be "socialized" since he/she isn't in school. There are still plenty of sports and other activities the kid could get into and be "socialized" in them. And, believe me, there are plenty out there who will discourage you if they can.
My son was homeschooled alot, and now he is into politics with an eye towards running some day in the far future. He's pretty socialized and very outgoing, so I am glad I fluffed off the naysayers.
With the extremely high educational levels of people from NH and Massachusetts around there, I would be just shocked if homeschooling wasn't ultra popular there. You have no fears in that department.
Check around and find some homeschooling groups for parents. I never joined one, but I am sure you could get alot out of them, too.
You are going to do just fine, and I am proud to know you will be homeschooling yours. It is so worth it!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
And don't listen to the fools who wonder if your kid will be "socialized" since he/she isn't in school. There are still plenty of sports and other activities the kid could get into and be "socialized" in them. And, believe me, there are plenty out there who will discourage you if they can.
My son was homeschooled alot, and now he is into politics with an eye towards running some day in the far future. He's pretty socialized and very outgoing, so I am glad I fluffed off the naysayers.
With the extremely high educational levels of people from NH and Massachusetts around there, I would be just shocked if homeschooling wasn't ultra popular there. You have no fears in that department.
Check around and find some homeschooling groups for parents. I never joined one, but I am sure you could get alot out of them, too.
You are going to do just fine, and I am proud to know you will be homeschooling yours. It is so worth it!
I was homeschooled on and off as well as going to both religious private school and public school so I have some experience in both and socialization just isn't an issue. How much socializing can you really get done in a class for 8 hrs a day with 1 teacher and 30 students all the exact same age anyways. That certainly ain't real life. I've always plannned on homeschooling mine so it's a big issue anywhere I move. It doesn't seem I will have a problem in NH besides the pesky state laws. Thanks for your response!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 PM

117 posts, read 425,063 times
From what I hear, it is a pretty strong network along the coast. In the Monadnock region, there are groups and people are very accepting of it, but not an enormous amount of activity (compared to our previous homeschooling mecca). The people in the area are quite dedicated to homeschooling though and represent a various of backgrounds.

I think part of the fact that there is not an enormous amount of homeschooling is that there are a lot of interesting school alternatives.

Acton MA has an active part-time homeschooling program that draws a lot of people from Southern NH. That's about all I know. Hope it helps!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 AM

4 posts, read 15,888 times
Default Former NH homeschool mom

Hello...yes homeschooling is alive and well in NH. My family and I just moved out of state with my husband's job, but we did hs in Dover, NH for over 9 years. There are many different groups depending on what you are looking for. We belonged to SCHEA (seacoast christian home educators association)...you need to sign of statement of faith.
The group has had anywhere from 60-90 member families at any given time. There are people who organize co-ops, swim, skate, ski lessons (all for hs'ers). Huge used curriculum sale in June. I think there might be a science fair this spring. My oldest was involved with the Homeschool Theater Guild and has done Shakespeare plays for the past several years. Many of the businesses have been more than happy to extend classes to hs'er since it fills otherwise deadtime for them.

There are other groups....homeschooling friends & homeschool coalition, I think...I really don't know much about them though. The manchester are has a large active group, and I think the wolfboro area has another group. We (schea) got people from as far east as Strafford/northwood to north in milton to south in hampton and the seacoast areas of nh and me.

The schea meetings are the 1st monday of each month at Christ the King church in Rochester. They have an email loop that sends out announcements about whats going on...let me know...I'll get you connected.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

24 posts, read 75,341 times
Anyone know of any established homeschooling co-ops?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,888 times
yes...I know of several. They are, however, by invitation only. Organizing and running a co-op can be a difficult task. The larger it is the more complex. The co-op we left had 17 families last year. When a number of families opted out this year for various reasons, the co-op decided to keep it small for the time rather that opening it up again.
I suggest you network with some of the groups and ask around about on-going co-ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire