Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 PM

603 posts, read 623,055 times

Advertisements

After shopping exclusively at Market Basket for many years, I've been shocked at their swiftly rising prices in recent months. This week I didn't buy several items because they had risen 30% or more in price and the quality had gone down. I found these cheaper at Hannaford: golden delicious apples (good quality at Hannaford; rotten spots at Market Basket for months), zucchini, tomatoes ($1.49 Hannaford, $2.49 Market Basket), European cucumbers, etc. I've stopped buying beef, nuts, salmon, and other favorites at Market Basket.

For me Market Basket is losing its mystique. The high cost of the long strike and restructuring is being passed on to customers. Market Basket managers in Tewksbury denied the rising prices in newspaper interviews in December. That type of denial is disrespectful of customers when we can clearly see what's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:09 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
You are correct...somewhat. Certain items have gone up, a lot, and in general there has been price creep overall. That said: Their sales are still fantastic & it's still got better prices than most other major supermarkets. MB has taken on debt, and they need to pay it off. Simple as that. I don't know if you have an ALDI near you, but it's prices are low. I'm guessing about 20% less than MB & close to 40% lower than bigger markets.

I do most of my shopping at ALDI now....but there are things that I can only get at MB, so I use them as a back-up.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:55 AM

77 posts, read 124,787 times
MA minimum wage increased to $10. Market basket raised the wages of all employees including those in NH.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:34 PM

603 posts, read 623,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I don't know if you have an ALDI near you, but it's prices are low. I'm guessing about 20% less than MB & close to 40% lower than bigger markets. I do most of my shopping at ALDI now....but there are things that I can only get at MB, so I use them as a back-up.
I only recently learned about Aldi. There is none near me but it sounds like it might be worth a trip to visit one.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Market Basket has nothing to do with companies changing sizes of products or raising prices. Its been happening for years. The issue is inflation which means your $ dollar buys less and less every day.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
The cost of groceries was predicted to rise over a year ago. Droughts affected produce and livestock costs, poultry has issues with bird flu, and pigs were also sick with a virus. Even with gas prices recently lowered, delivery costs have increased.

It's time for everyone to have their own vegetable gardens and a few chickens.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
I've had chickens, buying eggs is always cheaper. Chicken feed is not cheap.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You are correct...somewhat. Certain items have gone up, a lot, and in general there has been price creep overall. That said: Their sales are still fantastic & it's still got better prices than most other major supermarkets. MB has taken on debt, and they need to pay it off. Simple as that. I don't know if you have an ALDI near you, but it's prices are low. I'm guessing about 20% less than MB & close to 40% lower than bigger markets.

I do most of my shopping at ALDI now....but there are things that I can only get at MB, so I use them as a back-up.
ALDI is GREAT for cheeses and produce (and European sweets). But if you like brand name groceries, they only carry their own brand for just about everything else.

I love MB! They are always well stocked, CLEAN and well priced. Although some produce prices have gone up lately, I am attributing that to them being out of season.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I love MB too but lately they don't seem to be carrying things they used to. Sometimes the shelves are empty. When I go to buy what's on sale, they've run out on the first day. Maybe it's too expensive to keep a lot of stuff in stock or maybe they are cutting down on staff. I still go there but just not liking the empty shelves.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 PM

196 posts, read 275,996 times
Produce always goes up in the winter. But I am looking at their flyer right now - cauliflower 2/5, large eggs 2/3, organic potatoes 3.49 for 5lb bag macoun apples 1.99 for 3lb bag, raspberries 2/5.

I've never shopped at Aldi, but I think above prices are very reasonable.

Can't speak about beef and poultry as I buy that somewhere else.

I will say though, that their organic milk has gone through the roof!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire