Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
The only truly ALL season tires I would trust in NH or VT winters is the Nokian WRG3. https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/ the rest are really just a 3-season tire in my opinion.

I've run Hankook iPikes, Michelin Arctic Alpins, Cooper Weathermasters, Firestone Winterforce, Gislaved, and Nokian Haka2's. Each had minor pros and cons but honestly I didn't find much of a real difference in day to day driving between any of them including the Hakka's which cost twice what the others costs.

The more aggressive treaded ones (winterforce and weathermaster) were louder on dry roads but better in deep snow. The smoother treaded ones (Alpins and Hakka's) were quieter on dry roads but spun more in deep snow.

These were on a variety of front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars. I currently have a set of "generic" Winterclaws* (made by Cooper) on the Prius and while they are louder than I'd like on the highway, they are exceptional on snow and ice and stay grippy on cold wet & dry pavement. Worth the trade off imo.

At the end of the day, most any dedicated Winter tire is going to be a massive improvement over your average "all season" tire in temps below 40 and consistent snow, ice and bad road conditions.

Blizzaks are better then the Nokians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 04:23 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If that's how you feel, then great. I'm happy when people use ANY dedicated winter tire.

Car & Driver: Winter-Tire Test: Six Top Brands Tested, Compared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychometrika View Post
The AWD might get started easier off the line but is of limited usefulness at speed. When none of your wheels have traction, the drive type is irrelevant. Of course an AWD with snow tires is ideal, but it's tires not drive type that makes the biggest difference.
Agreed.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:06 AM

385 posts, read 398,822 times
Quote:

This is pretty much the Ford vs Chevy debate, It's based on your opinion and experience. However, Honda is better than them all.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If you do not want to pay for instruction (aka Team O'Neill) then find a snow/ice covered EMPTY parking lot and slide around enough to learn how to control skids.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 8,748 times
I am from Southern CA and thinking of moving there too but I did live in Big Bear Lake, CA for a while and I learned some things up there.

I don't know if you do chains out there but we did in Big Bear, I never needed them though as I 1) Had a 4WD (Ford expedition) and 2) really good mud/snow tires, chunky etc. 3) drive slow and pull over if others behind you like someone mentioned (I pull over a LOT lol)

If it is a 2WD the new tires but not sure about chains in NH, I am sure CA is 100% different on that.

Also be sure to seal your car, I bet the salt will wreak havoc on it if you don't (or wash it a lot or something!)

Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
OP - I assume you got some practice during the last snow. How did it go?

Be prepared for tomorrow morning.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
New Blizzaks are better then the Nokians.
Blizzaks have a sticky rubber layer on top of regular rubber. Worn Blizzaks are actually very slippery in winter conditions. Blizzak tire owners need to keep an eye on their snow tire tread depth after the first season on them. I'd rather not the worry, so I've never considered buying them.

Nokians are my snow tire of choice, even worn Nokians.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Not really. The grip on a Blizzak WS-80 goes in the toilet at about 12,000 miles when the outer rubber compound wears off. I've run the Nokian Q, R, R2, and studded Hakka SUVs. My Blizzaks went in the dumpster after 12,000 miles. Nokians have better performance on most winter driving conditions and give you 2x to 3x the tread life. Blizzaks are a bit better on black ice until they hit that 12k wear problem.

The Michelin X-Ice is another excellent option.

A RWD car with snow tires is fine. You don't need AWD. My FWD VW GTIs with Nokians and Blizzaks were better than my much heavier SUVs on plowed, snow covered roads. Few of us see deep unplowed roads where AWD and some ground clearance matters.

I'd also comment that snow driving requires a very different driving style. Avoid any sudden steering, braking, and acceleration inputs. Use that PRND32L thingie to control your speed instead of the brakes. Drive like grandma downhill and entering corners. Keep your momentum going up hills. Black ice is the most dangerous condition. Pay close attention to the outside air temperature and be very cautious on wet roads as the temperature drops to 32. I lived in Vermont for years driving RWD cars with summer tires. You can do it but you have to be very aware of your control and traction at all times. If you can afford snow tires, it all becomes much easier and safer.

Tires
Learn how to disable the traction control.
Get out and practice.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 AM

37 posts, read 50,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - I assume you got some practice during the last snow. How did it go?

Be prepared for tomorrow morning.
Sorry for the late response! I was so busy all of Feb. Well, I can say that I have improved a lot since my first post, lol. Looking back, I'm pretty sure that part of the reason why I had so much trouble was because I didn't know what to expect, since I didn't know how it felt to drive on snowy, icy roads, which caused me to constantly brake and speed back & forth, causing my car to stop moving. I learned that when I kept a steady speed, I no longer had that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire