Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,041,767 times

Advertisements

Oh, Dare! but there's really a lot of folks that are looking around Littleton. A lot more than I would have thought. I've been surprised by it. Please don't go away.

C'mon mods: Suzette, VTer, Skytrekker.. Plains..... isn't there anything that can be done? This forum has always been happy to give suggestions and advice for anyone with questions - nothings every been ignored (just gets annoying when the trolls post - but I can't imagine we're the only ones who get that). If we lose all our great core people, it will cut down that much more on those available to answer questions for their area!

What if we just cut down on some of the OT posts: maybe only 1 for the happy day comments (or even kept them in the OT chat), and only 1 for the congrats (we can adjust the subtitle for the person). You don't really want to make the NH section that boring and fogey with everyone leaving, do you??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,417 times
Wow, I dont sign on for a day and everything goes crazy. I am not sure where all this came from. I am going to go read my DMs', and see what is what....

Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,955,713 times
Default Huh??

Did I miss something? (I'm always the last one to the party....)

Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,005 times
Dunno what could be done..maybe you could peruade the powers at be to create a "chat" subforum specifically for NH? Or, create a NH chat forum under the Community Chat forum which already exists?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,180,389 times
No, no, no - I'm not leaving! I just won't be around as much! You'll still be "treated" to my dementedness!

I can understand having to go by the TOS - if an exception is made for one forum, then it will have to be made for the others as well, and could create a mess for the mods.

I got notification that posts had been made in this topic, so here I am When I receive notification, I'll pop in. The threads that were off topic brought me here more often and usual, then I would see something about this area (like shop14's post about Littleton vs. New London). If something isn't posted in one of the threads where I've posted, i.e. a new post about this area, I may not see it.

I think JFR may have actually left, which is a shame.

There's no way I could just leave the forum - I like too many of the people here! I'll just be here less frequently, that's all.

Personally, I liked the threads that were considered "off topic" - They may have been off topic in a "technical sense", but they also showed the type of people who inhabit the forum, so in my weird way of thinking, they really weren't off-topic (If that makes sense, you get a rep point!...when I can rep again, that is), as it showed the personalities of those who either live in NH or want to live in NH, and they definitely are not cold, reserved, unfriendly or unwilling to accept new people to the area. The threads showed humor, compassion and an acceptance of new people and relatively new people to the state.

With NH having the reputation of the people being "reserved and unfriendly", the off-topic posts showed that wasn't the case for all the residents of the state, but that's just my opinion

Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Personally, I liked the threads that were considered "off topic" - They may have been off topic in a "technical sense", but they also showed the type of people who inhabit the forum, so in my weird way of thinking, they really weren't off-topic (If that makes sense, you get a rep point!...when I can rep again, that is),
That makes total sense to me. In my first year back in NH I learned a lot about the mindset, priorities, lifestyles, traditions, vibe, etc. of NH people just chatting here in a friendly way. I can honestly say I have a much broader sense of the people and the place than I had when I'd lived here before thanks to my CDNH friends and everyone who has contributed here, formally or informally. Informal contributions are spontaneous and usually just about regular everyday life. The kind of details you usually don't put together until you live someplace...has been shared in an informal style here with great success, imo.

Dare, please stick around! I really hope JFR isn't gone

Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
That makes total sense to me. In my first year back in NH I learned a lot about the mindset, priorities, lifestyles, traditions, vibe, etc. of NH people just chatting here in a friendly way. I can honestly say I have a much broader sense of the people and the place than I had when I'd lived here before thanks to my CDNH friends and everyone who has contributed here, formally or informally. Informal contributions are spontaneous and usually just about regular everyday life. The kind of details you usually don't put together until you live someplace...has been shared in an informal style here with great success, imo.

Dare, please stick around! I really hope JFR isn't gone
Here's JFR's last post - sounds like he's gone for at least 6 months.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/5105787-post1346.html

I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say (but I can't rep you yet, I owe you one!)

Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Wow, I dont sign on for a day and everything goes crazy. I am not sure where all this came from. I am going to go read my DMs', and see what is what....
Suzet - Yac posted the below note on a buch of different threads (but oddly enough, not others that may have been considered "off topic" to the state specifically ) - and that's what got all this started....the threads weren't locked or closed, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guys, I don't want to spoil your fun, but remember that this forum is a place for people to find answers to specific answers about NH. We're really happy you have formed a solid community here, that's why we have created the "Off topic chat room" thread you can find it on top of the NH forum. Please use it for personal topics like this one, creating new threads clutters up the forum and really makes finding specific information more difficult.
So once again, please use the "Off topic chat room" thread for similar things in the future
Yac.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,541,641 times
I found CD by researching NH, but I joined and started to participate because of the great interaction with all the members here. That same interaction, fun & humor is what keeps me coming back to visit here. Of course I've also learned a lot about New Hampshire & New England, because not only do we have fun, but there is great information shared here too.

If it was possible for a Chat subforum for NH that would be great!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,202,950 times
Red face WOW! :0( THANK YOU TO ALL THE RECENT INPUT REGARDING OUR "FAMILY" falling apart.....

I am SO BUMBED by ALL of THIS!

We have always been so UNDER THE RADAR because to begin with, we do

NOT get the traffic of questions, like for example the State of MAINE does,

if you post something in the STATE of MAINE in the morning, it will be on the

second page within a few hours OR LESS

THEY ARE ALWAYS SUPER BUSY,

and they even have a SUB FORUM for PORTLAND!

We have never had THAT MANY questions pop up in one day, that OUR

OTHER THREADS would get in the way (I hope I'm making sense)

And what DARE TO DREAM said is correct.

MANY of the "REGULARS" come by to check on the FRIENDLY POSTS and

stay & answer questions to a new individual interested in NH.

I would not be surprised if one of THOSE TROLLS that got CLOSED (because

they were TROLLS) probably complained JUST OUT OF PURE ENVY!

PEOPLE UNFORTUNATELY CANNOT STAND TO SEE OTHERS HAPPY!

And VTER is RIGHT it is in the TOS, but AGAIN we DO NOT GET THAT MANY

QUESTIONS to begin with, like MAINE OR CALIFORNIA. And with OUR

FRIENDLY COMMUNITY, we were also ANSWERING the few questions we do

get on a TIMELY BASIS, and with time THEY ALL GET RECRUITED INTO OUR

GROUP!

I have ALWAYS said & believed, if it is NOT BROKEN WHY FIX IT

We are ALL WELL BEHAVED, WE ARE NOT RUDE TO OTHERS STOPPING BY,

WE ARE ALL SUPER HELPFUL!AND WE WELCOME OTHERS IN!

WE RECRUIT EVERYONE ALONG THE WAY!!!!!!

We take care of business & have some FUN ALONG the way!

In a way we are ALL helping this PLACE TO KEEP GROWING by bringing

FRIENDS, NEW MEMBERS, RELATIVES etc. Which is WHAT KEEPS MAKING

THIS EVEN MORE ATTRACTIVE TO OTHERS!

THE MORE TRAFFIC WE ALL PROVIDE, THE MORE ADVERTISERS THEY GET,

IN TURN CITY DATA MAKES MONEY at the end of the day, BECAUSE OF ALL

OF US!

So, it would seem to me, that it would BENEFIT $$$$ THE POWERS AT BE

TO KEEP A HAPPY GROUP, TO BE ABLE TO ATTRACT MORE HAPPY PEOPLE,

IN TURN IT BRINGS HAPPINESS TO THEM AS WELL $$$$$$$$$$

I hope I am NOT offending anyone, I hope I am making sense!

YES, it is in the TOS, but some RULES are meant to be broken, or at least

some FLEXIBILITY allowed. If you were a PARENT, would you RAISE

every single one of your 10 children the same way, I DO NOT THINK

SO

BECAUSE EACH ONE OF THEM HAS A DIFFERENT PERSONALITY, DIFFERENT

TEMPERAMENT. EACH ONE OF THE STATE FORUMS HAS A DIFFERENT

PERSONALITY, DIFFERENT GROUP OF PEOPLE, THE SAME RULES CANNOT

APPLY TO ALL, JUST LIKE AS A PARENT OF 10 CHILDREN, YOU WOULD NOT

GIVE THEM THE SAME TYPE OF PUNISHMENTS, OR TYPE OF DISCIPLINE.

WE ALL LOVE IT HERE!

WE HAVE BECOME A GREAT COMMUNITY OF FRIENDS!

I personally cannot KEEP UP with the OFF TOPIC thread, because it has TOO

many conversations going on. I pick the TOPICS where I stop by, because

I DO HAVE A DAY JOB that I have to keep to be able to

SUPPORT MYSELF

GREAT INPUT FROM ALL!

Well, I hope MOST OF US DO STAY!

It was GOOD while it lasted! What a shame............

I LUV YOU GUYS!

((HUGS))BE WELL, HEALTHY & HAPPY!

TAKE GOOD CARE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
No, no, no - I'm not leaving! I just won't be around as much! You'll still be "treated" to my dementedness!

I can understand having to go by the TOS - if an exception is made for one forum, then it will have to be made for the others as well, and could create a mess for the mods.

I got notification that posts had been made in this topic, so here I am When I receive notification, I'll pop in. The threads that were off topic brought me here more often and usual, then I would see something about this area (like shop14's post about Littleton vs. New London). If something isn't posted in one of the threads where I've posted, i.e. a new post about this area, I may not see it.

I think JFR may have actually left, which is a shame.

There's no way I could just leave the forum - I like too many of the people here! I'll just be here less frequently, that's all.

Personally, I liked the threads that were considered "off topic" - They may have been off topic in a "technical sense", but they also showed the type of people who inhabit the forum, so in my weird way of thinking, they really weren't off-topic (If that makes sense, you get a rep point!...when I can rep again, that is), as it showed the personalities of those who either live in NH or want to live in NH, and they definitely are not cold, reserved, unfriendly or unwilling to accept new people to the area. The threads showed humor, compassion and an acceptance of new people and relatively new people to the state.

With NH having the reputation of the people being "reserved and unfriendly", the off-topic posts showed that wasn't the case for all the residents of the state, but that's just my opinion

Last edited by countrylv22; 09-03-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: I AM GOING TO MISS YOU GUYS! 0( 0( I am so SAD!!!!! 0( 0(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire