Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times

Advertisements

I've been perusing the "about the forum" forum and FAQs looking for some explanations regarding why off-topic posts are not allowed. Here is what I've come across. The senior mods and/or Administrator have chimed in with explanations.

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/4...ads-posts.html

I'll edit this post as/if I find more threads that might help answer some questions.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,260 times
~~~~~~~~~~~SWEET DREAMS TO ALL OF MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Here's JFR's last post - sounds like he's gone for at least 6 months.
//www.city-data.com/forum/5105787-post1346.html

I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say (but I can't rep you yet, I owe you one!)
I wondered if there was more to the note! For some reason, I only got the title loaded and no message. poop.

Dare, I understood what you said as well - and I totally agree. I think being able to observe (and join) how people chat is a great way to understand the personality of an area. Especially when folks from away tend to think New Englanders (especially staid NH) are cold and unfeeling (only cold in the winter! ).

<sigh>

Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Okay, here's my guess for what it's worth: Looking at the THREADS that have been started, some of them aren't really very specific to NH, if you get my drift. Within other threads about certain cities, towns, issues, it's really up to your moderator what is or isn't off topic. I think the idea of a dedicated social group for New Hampshre is a pretty good one. I know that there was one started for New England, but it's not the same.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyb View Post
i think the idea of a dedicated social group for new hampshre is a pretty good one. I know that there was one started for new england, but it's not the same.
Amen!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
The bottom line is, no more "off topic talk" unless it is in our off topic thread. Plain and simple. We dont need anyone posting rules and what not. Or talking about how unfair it is...it is their rules. If we want to post here, we need to go by them. Sorry but that is how it is. I for one really enjoy our NH Forum. I have learned a lot about NH, even in the silliest of threads. I am not sure how I feel about all this. I know I am dissapointed, but I will stand by the rules. Maybe this is my fault, as I kind of let you guys talk about pretty much anything. I found myself enjoying it as much as you. So I guess I wasnt following the rules as much as I should have. So I apoligize to you all for that. I hope some of you who have told me you are going to leave CD will not. We can still enjoy our NH Forum. It will just change a bit. If anyone has anything to say, just post it in the off topic thread, that is why I made it in the first place!!! So we could talk about off things, and the rest of the forum would be for NH topics. I dont know what else to say, except, I have made some wonderful friends here, and hope to see you all still posting.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
I asked the Admin about creating a chat subforum here, stay tuned
Yac.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
The bottom line is, no more "off topic talk" unless it is in our off topic thread. Plain and simple. We dont need anyone posting rules and what not. Or talking about how unfair it is...it is their rules. If we want to post here, we need to go by them. Sorry but that is how it is. I for one really enjoy our NH Forum. I have learned a lot about NH, even in the silliest of threads. I am not sure how I feel about all this. I know I am dissapointed, but I will stand by the rules. Maybe this is my fault, as I kind of let you guys talk about pretty much anything. I found myself enjoying it as much as you. So I guess I wasnt following the rules as much as I should have. So I apoligize to you all for that. I hope some of you who have told me you are going to leave CD will not. We can still enjoy our NH Forum. It will just change a bit. If anyone has anything to say, just post it in the off topic thread, that is why I made it in the first place!!! So we could talk about off things, and the rest of the forum would be for NH topics. I dont know what else to say, except, I have made some wonderful friends here, and hope to see you all still posting.

Suzet - Do NOT beat yourself up over this. What we had going on worked for THIS forum, even if it was technically against the TOS, although I still think it gave people insight into the people of NH That being said, I'll still be around, just not as much. I plan on checking here in the mornings and probably at night, to see if there's anything posted/asked about the area up this way that I can answer/respond to, but I will be spending most of my time on another site for "socializing".

I know about the off-topic forum that has been posted here and I personally find it too "busy", sorta like having just one chat thread, which is why I don't go over there. I enjoyed the "celebratory" posts that were specific to NH forum posters.

If Yac is successful in his request to the admin, then I'll be back here to "socialize" as well.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Suzet - Do NOT beat yourself up over this. What we had going on worked for THIS forum, even if it was technically against the TOS, although I still think it gave people insight into the people of NH That being said, I'll still be around, just not as much. I plan on checking here in the mornings and probably at night, to see if there's anything posted/asked about the area up this way that I can answer/respond to, but I will be spending most of my time on another site for "socializing".

I know about the off-topic forum that has been posted here and I personally find it too "busy", sorta like having just one chat thread, which is why I don't go over there. I enjoyed the "celebratory" posts that were specific to NH forum posters.

If Yac is successful in his request to the admin, then I'll be back here to "socialize" as well.

I agree with everything Dare said. Most importantly Suzet-do not beat yourself up about this.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I agree with the others...Suz, you are a great mod and an asset to City-Data. Good news from Yac re: creating a NH chat subforum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire