Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times

Advertisements

Moved into a house in Dublin in July FWIW. The 500 gal propane tank outside says "Allen and Matthewson" on the side. When I called them, to find out about tank ownership, they said they have no record of owning the tank. They also quoted me a price for propane, and sent me an application/contract to complete.

Since they say they don't own it, can I buy from anyone? Seems to me others would object, given the name on the side, but what if I had bought the tank after leasing it for a year or two? The name would be on the side I presume.

Do folks get price quotes in writing, or do companies honor their over the phone quotes?

Any other watchouts or advice? Newbe here to propane.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,730 times
It depends on the propane company. Some will fill an existing tank that isn't their own, others won't. I would try and if they ask tell them it was new from A&M two years ago and you simply want to change propane providers.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
Get ownership in writing. If that company states they don't own the tank then get a letter from them. The letter should state that they do not own the propane tank at your specific address.
Note that the providing propane companies normally do not own the tanks either. They lease them from a wholesaler.

Ask the previous owner the same questions. If owned they would have paperwork showing such.

All is rare that homeowner actually owns propane tanks of this size. I do. I purchased mine directly from the propane company. There is no great advantage to doing this. Owner assumes all responsibility and costs if tank leans, breaks, or has issues.

The advantage of owning is that you can open several accounts with different propane companies. And hypothetically get lower costs for propane. But note - each company that you apply to has to come out to your home and inspect everything. And notate serial number of all gas appliances and to check for issues.

Propane costs have a tier system. The more you use the less it costs. Prices/costs vary widely.

Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:53 AM

114 posts, read 123,736 times
Was there any information about the tank in the seller disclosure when you purchased the house? I would recommend reaching out to the listing agent and see if he or she knows any additional information about the tank. Typically it is a lease or rental agreement with the supplier of the tank. Very rarely would you own a tank outright and if that is the case you will need to look into maintenance on the regulator, valves, and lines.

If the company logo is on the tank then they had something to do with it or at least it's install. Instead of referencing the address when contacting Allen and Matthewson, try using the previous owners name for the account. I have run into this issue before.

Best!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:06 PM

Nothing about it in any disclosure or other closing document. A M has the records for the previous owner - told me how much last year, but said nothing about ownership. Listing agent has no additional information.

I may try to contact the former owner. I don't have is info but a neighbor does.

What is a good price these days?

Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
What is a good price these days?
What is a good price for what?

Old 09-13-2016, 02:51 PM

for propane! I've seen other postings for tank cost. yes, I searched the archives before starting a new thread. This board is very helpful. Thank you all for comments to this, and other interesting posts.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
for propane!
Telephone each provider and ask for the current price. Simple. They will all ask you questions so be prepared for those.
There is no one answer to cost.
Have a lot to learn about propane and how it is priced.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 PM

346 posts, read 358,320 times
I own my current propane tanks and have at one other house in NH not far from Dublin. You definitely want a copy of the bill of sale for the tank. Should you go to let's say Rymes, who we bought our fuel from, they'd ask for a copy of your bill of sale. Owning your tank is worth it if you stay there a few years. PS Rymes was cheaper than Owen Mathewson on propane. Good Luck.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 PM

60 posts, read 43,902 times
You are all not to like these numbers (just remember, I am just the messenger):

Fuel Prices | Energy Division | NH Office of Energy and Planning

(It has nothing to do with propane tank ownership, just the operating costs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire