Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times

Advertisements

^ Thanks. Seen this already, and it does not seem to be very consistent with what little price data I have, which points to less than $2/gal for propane.

Interesting too that the state finds pellets to be more expensive than oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 04:27 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet1971 View Post
You are all not to like these numbers (just remember, I am just the messenger):

Fuel Prices | Energy Division | NH Office of Energy and Planning

(It has nothing to do with propane tank ownership, just the operating costs).

Thanks for posting this. Apparently some don't read it or some just don't get it.

Some still think that gas (propane) is cheaper then heating oil. Never learning the BTU per unit or not even understanding the concept.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:33 PM

346 posts, read 358,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Apparently some don't read it or some just don't get it.

Some still think that gas (propane) is cheaper then heating oil. Never learning the BTU per unit or not even understanding the concept.
We use our propane for several appliances as well as heat, such as a generator and gas stove. Propane appliances don't require annual cleaning like an oil furnace. We use oil in our house and propane in the office.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet1971 View Post
You are all not to like these numbers (just remember, I am just the messenger):

Fuel Prices | Energy Division | NH Office of Energy and Planning

(It has nothing to do with propane tank ownership, just the operating costs).
Other than price, what are the pro's / con's of natural gas vs. wood?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 PM

385 posts, read 345,776 times
One important pro for wood is you can easily use it when the power goes out.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb Wood can be a great backup/supplemental heat source to keep your fossil fuel bill down.

You can run a diesel generator off home heating oil, but it does require more maintenance and cleaning than a propane-fueled electric generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Other than price, what are the pro's / con's of natural gas vs. wood?
I like wood, but a wood stove or fireplace insert can be a lot of work and a lot of mess. Plus it is no fun coming home to a freezing cold house. You can eliminate some of the messiness and bugs by burning compressed wood fuel blocks, aka "BioBricks", basically giant wood pellets.

Pellet stoves burn the little compressed pellets by the bag; I think the differences in estimated costs are based in large part on where and when you buy your pellets. Compared to cordwood, pellet stoves are more expensive initially and in $/btu, but require a little less attention and cleaning. Most pellet stoves require AC power to run, but some can be driven from a 12V battery (like a car battery or solar).

Natural gas is great, but only available in a few parts of New Hampshire. Everywhere else in the state, people use propane instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
One important pro for wood is you can easily use it when the power goes out.
You can choose a gas burning appliance which works when the power is out, most common is the gravity wall furnace.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 PM

147 posts, read 268,820 times
i just signed a pre buy at 1.49/gal for 900 gals....I own two "120s". Last year I did the same at 1.65/gal and got 407$ back to apply towards this year. So I sent the 900ish check for the year.

I have a 2500 sq ft house built in 2005....tough to beat that up here for the year. Very efficient house.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 PM

346 posts, read 358,645 times
I had propane tanks filled today, they took 125 gallons at $1.50 per gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire