Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Not all real estate agents and brokerages use Zillow.
Agreed. Some agents don't like too much exposure. They're the ones we sellers need to watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM

221 posts, read 243,289 times
We are looking for month to month. we may only need the rental for 2 months maybe 3-4 tops.... zillow and craigslist have left me with basically nothing as far as budget and "short term" go... maybe our best bet is just a dirty extended stay near my work while the house gets built.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 AM

86 posts, read 84,223 times
Renting with pets is rough.

We're at the point of wondering what the heck we're going to do--an out of state move fell through and now we have about a month to get a place with our 50 lb. dog.

Landlords are really inflexible, too.
At least you have the means to build a place.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
As long as your dog is not on the aggressive breeds list it's more possible to find a pet-friendly rental. It would help if you could sign the Good Canine Citizen pledge and your dog to take the test.

Training Testing - American Kennel Club

And will your current and past landlords give you and your dog a good reference?

So aside from your dog needing to be friendly, well behaved and housebroken, it also would reassure a potential landlord if you could promise a situation where the dog is walked regularly and when needed, rather than being shut in all day while you work.

If I were a landlord, I'd rather rent to people with a well behaved dog, than ones with children.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:44 AM

God bless you Miu. I wish everyone was like you! I see this in nearly every ad....NO PETS. Yet "smokers" are welcome... Or you see no smoking or pets.

I understand the landlords have dealt with a lot of jerks who are irresponsible but don't paint every dog owner with the same brush.

We've rented with our dog (a gentle and older lab mix) since she was a puppy. She is not destructive and never has been. There is always someone home with her most of the time or perhaps she is alone an hour or two when my wife goes and does some errands.

I have been in 3 complexes and two private apartment homes with my dog so "we've proven" she's a good pet. Landlords are out there (a few) but they demand huge deposits (one lady wanted a thousand dollars deposit!) for my dog. Or they charge upwards of $50/month per pet. On top of very high rents in the Upper Valley.

I may have more luck if I go more rural as the landlords are more open to pets but then again, one time I did that the other tenant had a nasty German Shepard she let menace my dog as she was a long term tenant there and "could." Out of spite she'd let it off leash and it almost attacked me several times.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Well good luck to you in your housing search!! If I had a rental, I would rent to you. Where would be your ideal location?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
Landlords are out there (a few) but they demand huge deposits (one lady wanted a thousand dollars deposit!) for my dog. Or they charge upwards of $50/month per pet.
As a landlord, that is completely reasonable. If new carpet costs $1000 and your pet pees on it, it is impossible to get rid of that smell and will smell every time the temperature rises, especially if its a cat. The carpet and pad needs to be removed and replaced. This could easily cost about $1000 if your using cheap home depot carpet. You may loose a new tenant if you dont replace it and they dont like the smell.

So its completely reasonable for a landlord to ask for more money to bring the apartment back to non-smelly status.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:02 PM

I rented at one place when we moved in NH a few years back and he told me to ask for pet deposit/pet rent is illegal in NH. He owned several properties and also was a contractor. He did not charge us for our dog but he also never fixed major issues like electric and heating so...

This other place I live in charges per pet per month.

Weird, some of these laws are really strange.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
Every pet owner claims "don't worry, he won't bite," yet people are getting bit by dogs all the time. Every pet owner claims to have good pets, yet pets continually wreak havoc to many homes. Landlords know this from experience. They are not just bad people trying to be mean.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Every pet owner claims "don't worry, he won't bite," yet people are getting bit by dogs all the time. Every pet owner claims to have good pets, yet pets continually wreak havoc to many homes. Landlords know this from experience. They are not just bad people trying to be mean.
What terrible logic fallacies. Surely you can make a better argument than that! And just for the record, one wild party can do more damage to a home than any dog. Never saw a dog spill wine on the carpet. Never saw a dog trash a bathroom. No dog ever burned down a deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire