Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
As a retiree in VT, I paid $120 to the state last year for income tax. The previous 3 years I paid nothing. If your taxable income is lower that about $100,000 you will not pay the full property tax (there is a form you have to fill out each year to get the "discount"). I shop in NH so no sales tax. I don't find the tax burden very high in VT. This coming year I may have to pay more income tax because I had to start taking withdrawals from my IRA which is taxable income.

NH does not reduce property tax for anyone. And they charge outrageous amounts for your car each year.

You really have to add up the numbers for yourself. A lot depends on your income level.
We looked at NH in 1995 - but rejected it b/c of the high property taxes - right now second highest in the country Property Tax Rates By State 2018 - Tax-Rates.org

It seems that all of the non income states have high "fees" - instead of outright taxes. That includes the vehicles. At one time I was paying $800/yr for the priviledge of living in a no income tax for my newer truck. I was also paying $2000/yr in property taxes. Across the line in Montana, everything was 50% less + no sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire