Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Good to see you back here Sandbarcreek! Yes, we do welcome the thaw and for yours truly 30F is a thaw up here. But there are micro pockets where when it is 30 in LIttleton it could be 5F on some hill tops. So enjoy the next week or so, as in about 2 weeks it may just come down real heavy!
I had lunch with the Littleon Hospital volunteers today at the Beal House and it had warmed up very nice The Beal House put on a wonderful wonderful lunch with almost fourty woman there. High praise for all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Any towns that are left are few, and I know a couple, but if I say so they won't be what they were in the 50's anymore.

I remember when North Conway was one, and the cops stood on a box with wagon wheels to direct traffic. Where Rt 16 comes into Conway there was a Russian stle train depot and the Kanc was a dirt road..

Now N Conway is a golden mile sodom and gomorrah, where greed and money are the main values. Conway is in the mid 30's depression, complete with ugly little box stores, and nothing like it once was.

I ain't tellin where the old back woods towns are...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Any towns that are left are few, and I know a couple, but if I say so they won't be what they were in the 50's anymore.

I remember when North Conway was one, and the cops stood on a box with wagon wheels to direct traffic. Where Rt 16 comes into Conway there was a Russian stle train depot and the Kanc was a dirt road..

Now N Conway is a golden mile sodom and gomorrah, where greed and money are the main values. Conway is in the mid 30's depression, complete with ugly little box stores, and nothing like it once was.

I know of some too. Sometimes you have to go way of the beaten path. You are likely familiar with the numbered class roads like I am. In terms of population density the three most rural counties in NH are Coos, Grafton, and Carroll.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Littleton is cold but so is Colebrook Mr Comet! Love the snow! Our cross country skiing is really fun too! People down near Keane should check out all of our trails up here!
Dixville Notch at the Balsams is also gorgeous. I couldn't think of a more postcard like setting anywhere,

Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:

There's quite a few small backwoods places up in those woods i hope they never find, at least till i'm gone.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dixville Notch at the Balsams is also gorgeous. I couldn't think of a more postcard like setting anywhere,

Yeah that's sweet riding country up around there, but ya gotta look out fer the mices..

I see I hit on some other's sentiments too. Some of these towns are like fishin holes and deer knolls, and are best kept secret.

Thar's plenty of fools with way too much money, always wanting new and improved. But wait! for just......

That saying once it's gone it's gone sure runs true in N Conway, after they moved in hills called land scaping, and box stores, selling junk made in China, where once there was a small airport, and not the same basic town fathers want another airport.

No place to build it. I wonder how it feels to want?

I recall small back woods penny sores selling things for a penny, and now the gubbermint wants to kill off the penney. Fine by me as I roll my own smokes.

I was thinkin on quitting, due to the price and i can't seem to get seeds to sprout. But no I changed my mind as I am in a hurry to come to my demise and smoking is the fastest legal way.

I'll be happy to be out of the way of the PC thinkers.

If I were King I would build a dam from Redstone to the Moats, dam the Saco to 1,500 feet deep at Lake N Conway.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's sweet riding country up around there, but ya gotta look out fer the mices..

I see I hit on some other's sentiments too. Some of these towns are like fishin holes and deer knolls, and are best kept secret.

Thar's plenty of fools with way too much money, always wanting new and improved. But wait! for just......

That saying once it's gone it's gone sure runs true in N Conway, after they moved in hills called land scaping, and box stores, selling junk made in China, where once there was a small airport, and not the same basic town fathers want another airport.

No place to build it. I wonder how it feels to want?

I recall small back woods penny sores selling things for a penny, and now the gubbermint wants to kill off the penney. Fine by me as I roll my own smokes.

I was thinkin on quitting, due to the price and i can't seem to get seeds to sprout. But no I changed my mind as I am in a hurry to come to my demise and smoking is the fastest legal way.

If I were King I would build a dam from Redstone to the Moats, dam the Saco to 1,500 feet deep at Lake N Conway.
I agree regarding N Conway. The airport in the area is in Maine at Fryeburg. I really don't know what they were thinking when it came to zoning or anything. I think they let the developers run the show for far too long in my opinion. It makes no sense to cram in every single store on one "highway" road. I can think of only one or two roads to get around that mess on 16. Also, they like building these big subdivisions in the middle of nowhere does not fit the rural landscape at all. I also agree on not telling city slickers where the "good" places are. If you don't tell "them" they won't let their developer friends know either.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-11-2010 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Quote:

Hey Mac you sound as depressed about the so-called 'progress' of these times as I am. When I finally build my time machine I will let you know and you can ride for free. I am shooting for a trip back to the 1950s

As for here and now - as long as you do not become PC you will be out of their way, and actually in their way there has to be some joy in that.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Hey Mac you sound as depressed about the so-called 'progress' of these times as I am. When I finally build my time machine I will let you know and you can ride for free. I am shooting for a trip back to the 1950s

As for here and now - as long as you do not become PC you will be out of their way, and actually in their way there has to be some joy in that.
Yeah! The 50's sounds nice.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
I have always liked my hometown. I would have never really considered it to be the place the OP is asking about. It doesn't have the quintessential downtown- the kind with churches and gazebos, or a downtown lined with quirky shops.
But one thing I will say about the rural town of Campton (population 3000). Is the people that live there represent all that is good about New Hampshire.

We have little things that surprise me like the turnout for a lighting ceremony of the new lights at the town bridge, The great job the the town garden club does around town, and the parental involvement in the sports programs.

Last night I witnessed something that made me think that Campton is this place.
A town resident ( a 4 yr old preschooler) was recently diagnosed with leukemia.
Without too much planning some volunteers organized a fundraiser. They decided on a spaghetti dinner to be held at the elementary school. The food was donated by Alex Ray owner of the common man resturaunt and inns. Who by the way is notorious locally for his compassion and charitable work. And there were other parents who worked as servers and such.

As I have said the population of the town is about 3000 and if they weren't all there I must have miscounted. My wife , who has relocated out of state asked if I saw anyone I knew and my response was anyone that you could name was there.

It occured to me not only the outpouring of support but that I actually knew everybody from the teachers, the postal workers, the gas station attendants, all the parents, the town employees.

I am reluctantly moving in about 2 weeks due to my wifes job relocation. I live in a beautiful house with incredible views and sunsets on 5 acres at the end of a cul de sac and I never once thought i would miss it (after all it's only wood and nails. But I am going to miss the people and this community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire