Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM

55 posts, read 44,421 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire generally has been on the trend of seeing an aging population which is happening in a lot of the north east of both the US and Canada. In New Hampshire Manchester doesn’t seem to have the best reputation but do you think Covid and any lasting work from home impacts will create a resurgence/ gentrification there? I wonder if more people will leave Boston area for cheaper cities and if one of those will be Manchester. What do you all think? Some younger people inherently want to be in cities because of the social environment they offer. New Hampshire needs a younger population in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 02:39 PM

199 posts, read 182,173 times
Yes, NH will continue to gain people from other states, even faster than it was before the civil unrest and plandemic. People from dense metro areas like NYC consider places like Manchester a small town or city, so it will grow as well. I also work in Nashville, which I consider a city, but tons of people are moving there from NYC and Chicago because they consider it a small town.

Regarding NH and the aging population: We have already seen that trend slightly reverse. See this article from a few years ago.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,499,419 times
I think NH will see a gain of people, Manchester tho? Why would someone move from a nice city to a crappy city? if they are fleeing to get away from people and germs I would think they would be looking for the suburbs or a rural location not manch..

Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM

For years I've been predicting that it will continue to get harder and harder for more and more Americans to make it. As this happens, Americans in search of help and financial opportunity will continue the migration trend of leaving high-tax and high-regulation states, for low-tax and low-regulation states. NH ranks the 5th lowest in regards to taxes, so workers will continue to migrate here.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I think NH will see a gain of people, Manchester tho? Why would someone move from a nice city to a crappy city? if they are fleeing to get away from people and germs I would think they would be looking for the suburbs or a rural location not manch..
As out-of-staters continue to move to NH, it drives up real estate values and could force people already in NH to move to places like Manchester, because they can't afford to rent or buy in the nicer cities and towns in NH.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:02 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
As out-of-staters continue to move to NH, it drives up real estate values and could force people already in NH to move to places like Manchester, because they can't afford to rent or buy in the nicer cities and towns in NH.
If young out-of-staters continue to move to NH, they are also going to drive up our property tax rates if they all plan on having children and using the public schools. The Free Stater Project group promotes home schooling, so as keep taxes down by not using local government resources.

I would be really happy if New Hampshire were to appeal more to the empty nesters and newly retired people.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,116,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
NH ranks the 5th lowest in regards to taxes, so workers will continue to migrate here.

The difference between NH's position (45th) and NY in 1st, is 5.43%. The difference between NH's position and IA in 10th, is 2.68%.

The difference in tax burden for the vast, vast majority of people is far less significant than differences in cost of living or average salaries/job opportunities between metro areas. That's basically one decent raise.

And if you live in NH and work in MA/VT/ME, as a good ~15% of the workforce does, you get to pay their income taxes anyway.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:29 PM

9,913 posts, read 7,261,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
The difference between NH's position (45th) and NY in 1st, is 5.43%. The difference between NH's position and IA in 10th, is 2.68%.

The difference in tax burden for the vast, vast majority of people is far less significant than differences in cost of living or average salaries/job opportunities between metro areas. That's basically one decent raise.

And if you live in NH and work in MA/VT/ME, as a good ~15% of the workforce does, you get to pay their income taxes anyway.
In 2017, almost 20% of the workforce (123K) went to MA for work.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:20 AM

55 posts, read 44,421 times
I’d be curious to see the total income gain from those that do commute and pay MA income tax. I wonder if it is actually worth it for a lot of them. And I don’t mean just $1 or $2 net an hour. To me that wouldn’t be worth it.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 AM

For those who are interested, here is a link to commuting patterns of workers in NH. 571k workers live and work in NH, 65k come to NH from other states, and 106k leave NH to work in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire