Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 26,434 times

Advertisements

I don’t care who you vote for in the federal elections, but, PLEASE, unless you want an income tax, sales tax, or a capital gains tax, do not vote for a democrat at the state level. The democrat dominant legislature has voted in those taxes each year for the past few. It’s only because Sununu has vetoed them that we don’t have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 02:03 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
I've never understood the folks who choose to live in a relatively low tax and relatively high freedom state and choose to raise taxes and reduce said freedom by attempting to enact unnecessary laws. It is weird.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:49 PM

174 posts, read 232,089 times
I lived in NH for 23 years and other places for45 years before moving back to where I grew up and am now retired in WI. I never had much bad to say about my time in NH because you had it pretty good there. Property taxes are a bit high but with no income and sales tax it was fine. WI has high property taxes but lower than NH but we have the dreaded sales and state income taxes plus all the same fees as NH which then makes it more expensive to live in WI. Too many people are moving into NH from NY, NJ, MA and maybe CT plus others and they bring their wants and needs from those states which are horrifically managed and want the same things that were bad there. I would move back to NH in a heartbeat but it seems that eventually it will succumb to tax and spend philosophy. That would be truly unfortunate good luck to all who don’t want that to happen.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:55 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
Something has to give on property taxes. You can't keep raising them on people who can't afford the added burden. The fairest and best method of generating more tax revenue is to reform the abusive current use tax system which allows certain people to receive a discount of 95% off their taxes while everyone else has to make up for the difference. Even better yet is to reduce the size of govt. If Biden gets elected the price of everything is going to increase substantially to pay for his promise to give stuff away and save the planet from mother nature itself.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Smile How about a head tax? $1k per adult, $100 for senior citizens and babies, and $7,621 per school-age child

Still tasting sour grapes from buying a 9 acre lot?

The "fairest and best" method is not to generate more tax revenue at all, but rather to spend less, and be more intelligent about unavoidable spending and act now to address unfunded pension liabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I've never understood the folks who choose to live in a relatively low tax and relatively high freedom state and choose to raise taxes and reduce said freedom by attempting to enact unnecessary laws. It is weird.
Freedom is nice, but you can't have other people enjoying said freedom in ways of which you do not approve!

Newcomers figure NH is a mostly nice place to live, but it'd be a lot nicer if they could stop the hunting and shooting, decommission the fireplaces and wood stoves, and get the towns to provide water, sewer, trash pickup, bus routes, methadone clinics, homeless shelters, and all the other amenities they miss from the "big city". And if that means increasing everybody else's taxes to ensure newbies can live in the style to which they had become accustomed, that's just "their fair share".

Heard a neighbor from Seattle at the transfer station bemoaning how his family hates fall because the wood smoke messes with their asthma and why can't the gov't make us all switch over to nice clean electric heat like they did back home?

Last edited by Nonesuch; 10-16-2020 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 05:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Heard a neighbor from Seattle at the transfer station bemoaning how his family hates fall because the wood smoke messes with their asthma and why can't the gov't make us all switch over to nice clean electric heat like they did back home?
Did you suggest he move back to Seattle? Sounds like he'd be happier there.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:21 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
Quote:

The "fairest and best" method is not to generate more tax revenue at all, but rather to spend less, and be more intelligent about unavoidable spending and act now to address unfunded pension liabilities.

Why don't you get right on that. Talk is cheap and if you have the answers then answer them and get NH out of the mess it's in.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:58 PM

477 posts, read 336,346 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear that.
But I really love this smell. It is a warm, cozy scent that reminds me of my childhood and youth.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 AM

385 posts, read 398,575 times
Being two of those refugees who escaped a horribly run state (CT), we couldn't agree more. Every time I hear/read about what a great idea an income (or any other new tax) would be to reduce the property tax burden, I shudder. It's difficult to implement a new tax, but once established, it is incredibly easy to slowly raise the rates. Before you know it, your total tax burden far exceeds any existing property tax bill and whether you believe it or not, your property tax will continue to rise. In our case, we moved to NH to leave that all behind.

We hope NH never changes and will continue to vote in that direction, but I believe the influx of big government believers and uninformed voters will change NH into just another northeast state.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:15 AM

13 posts, read 16,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Something has to give on property taxes. You can't keep raising them on people who can't afford the added burden. The fairest and best method of generating more tax revenue is to reform the abusive current use tax system which allows certain people to receive a discount of 95% off their taxes while everyone else has to make up for the difference.
Saying NH has 'high property taxes' is misleading, when it really means 'high housing taxes'. The housing tax is a close to a flat tax as you can get. No matter how much money you earn, your house is your footprint in NH that is taxed. No one gets a discount on their house itself because of current use.

NH has low land tax (above a certain amount), and that's fine. It's good for society at large to have that one or two property owners in town with more land than they know what to with, allowing recreational opportunities for residents. NH would be a lot different if all that open space was divided into nine acre strips.

Land ownership is certainly something to be jealous of. Who wouldn't want to have a hundred acre piece of land they have logged every 20-30 years for profit? It's an investment with risks and long periods of time between harvest. If the taxes exceed the profitability of the timber, so much more of NH would be subdivided into a suburban nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire