Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,955 times

Advertisements

I positioned myself the best I could in MA - Big lot in backed up to a bunch of conservation land in an area where the neighbors leave each other alone as much as could hope for anywhere in MA - But a layoff and re-hire in a permanent remote role has me looking at the opportunity to escape the MA madness.

Looking at large plots (50+ acres) SW of White Mountain National Forest. Proximity to WMNF or to Worcester, MA or Albany, NY are a bonus. (Family won't relocate. )

Looking to buy cheap or build myself (*actually* myself, minus things like foundation, over a period of a few years), and looking to minimize taxes and neighbors that would be annoyed by my shooting or hunting.

Reading up on things today I ran into the earlier posts from the type of person I'm moving away from () and "current use." Realizing all of the things that I'd not known when purchasing for the first time in MA, I'm looking for info/advice. What's "current use?" What do I need to be looking for in terms of utilities or permitting off-grid builds if I can't get utilities? What things might I miss that unnecessarily pisses off locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 12:54 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Question What things might I miss that unnecessarily pisses off locals?

Don't worry about current use, ultimately it is just a tax adjustment and talking about it will awaken our resident contrarian to derail the thread.

Most lots, even in parts of central/southern NH are limited in "utilities" and have just electrical and maybe cable hookups. Permitting to build totally off-grid depends on the county/town, they are usually more concerned about how you're getting water and where your sewage will be going than what you do for electricity.

When doing work from home, usually you will need reliable and fast cellular and internet service, and these can be a real challenge out in the boonies. Even if you can get an electrical hookup, winter tends to bring multi-day outages, and solar doesn't work so great under 3' of snow and ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalgodZ View Post
Looking at large plots (50+ acres) SW of White Mountain National Forest. ...

Looking to buy cheap or build myself (*actually* myself, minus things like foundation, over a period of a few years), and looking to minimize taxes and neighbors that would be annoyed by my shooting or hunting.
. . .
What do I need to be looking for in terms of utilities or permitting off-grid builds if I can't get utilities?
The thing about cheap large lots south/west of WMNF is that a fifty acre lot without an existing house on it is probably that way for a reason, may be "landlocked" or just cannot pass perc.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-04-2021 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 01:43 PM
KCZ

4,685 posts, read 3,686,926 times
The State of NH DES actually has to approve your septic plan. The state website has tons of information, from DES to DMV regs. https://www.nh.gov/index.htm

Old 06-04-2021, 03:20 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,202,540 times
I'd check out Sullivan County, NH, which is southwest of the White Mountain National Forest. Parts of the county are very remote and acreage prices are reasonable. This area is closer to Albany than to Worcester.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I'd check out Sullivan County, NH, which is southwest of the White Mountain National Forest. Parts of the county are very remote and acreage prices are reasonable. This area is closer to Albany than to Worcester.
That's largely where I'm looking, though my wife is also attracted to the Downeast area in ME. The perc issue is one I'm aware of but wasn't thinking about the possibility that a plot might have no possible area where I could get a pass. Landlocked plots are something I hadn't considered. Internet and the possibility of needing a very, very large battery bank are something I've planned for, and can absolutely handle myself.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:03 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Quote:
...the possibility of needing a very, very large battery bank are something I've planned for, and can absolutely handle myself.
Hopefully someday we'll have hydrogen fuel cell technology and stable H2 storage, but until then, consider a couple really big propane tanks as the equivalent of a very very large battery which can only be refilled by a truck visit.

Quote:
The perc issue is one I'm aware of but wasn't thinking about the possibility that a plot might have no possible area where I could get a pass.
If you're lucky, there's some possible area that can pass perc. If you're really lucky, that area is downhill from where you want the house, else you need a pump and that much bigger a battery bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire