Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 10:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
We have open carry here in OR but honestly in all my years living here I have not seen many open carry's. We have concealed and I am sure plenty of people do that. I think gun laws are pretty relaxed. Permits are gotten from local sheriff dept.
New Hampshire had "may issue" concealed carry, however a few local police chiefs abused their discretion and annoyed residents enough that we finally pushed through a bill going to a combination of "shall issue" and constitutional carry in addition to the long-running tradition of permitless open carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Before NH had Constitutional carry open unlicensed carry was legal. For 7 months out of 12 I couldn't legally wear an overshirt even if it partly concealed my sidearm. I eventually got my P&R but practiced "casual carry" meaning not concerned with "printing" or exposing my firearm.
Prior to the "Constitutional Carry" law change back in 2017, estimates were that about 15% of eligible adults in the state had their P&R license, sometimes just so they could "open carry" and not worry that an untucked shirttail might turn "open" into "concealed".

There's never been a full count of active Resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses; over the last four years we can assume the number has dropped significantly! I only renewed because it is a prerequisite for some non-resident CHL applications (e.g. Utah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
9 0ut of 10 folks don't seen to notice (or care) who's got a sidearm.
More citizens carrying firearms makes me feel safer and it's one of the reasons why New Hampshire is such a safe place to live.
The average citizen who isn't hyper-aware of firearms is just blind to what their fellow citizen is wearing on their belt, so unless you run into private security at one of the half dozen large malls where they really don't like open carry, nobody is likely to say anything to folk who open carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 03:43 PM

441 posts, read 440,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
New Hampshire had "may issue" concealed carry, however a few local police chiefs abused their discretion and annoyed residents enough that we finally pushed through a bill going to a combination of "shall issue" and constitutional carry in addition to the long-running tradition of permitless open carry.

Prior to the "Constitutional Carry" law change back in 2017, estimates were that about 15% of eligible adults in the state had their P&R license, sometimes just so they could "open carry" and not worry that an untucked shirttail might turn "open" into "concealed".

There's never been a full count of active Resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses; over the last four years we can assume the number has dropped significantly! I only renewed because it is a prerequisite for some non-resident CHL applications (e.g. Utah).

The average citizen who isn't hyper-aware of firearms is just blind to what their fellow citizen is wearing on their belt, so unless you run into private security at one of the half dozen large malls where they really don't like open carry, nobody is likely to say anything to folk who open carry.
thanks good post!! :-)

Old 07-02-2021, 02:02 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

IMO getting a permit is a good thing for reciprocity in other states as well. I think HB334 being signed into law will eliminate NH's last weird leftover quirk for constitutional carry. Currently you need to be licensed to carry on an OHRV. HB334 fixes that.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:00 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajak View Post
Hello,

I'm likely moving to NH from the cesspool of NY and one of the reasons for my move to NH are the fair gun laws. I'm a military vet, 2A supporter, and I need to live amongst like-minded individuals who value and will defend the constitution when the time comes.

I've visited NH plenty of times however i don't recall ever seeing anyone open carry a pistol.

How common is this in the cities of NH and do the police create any problems for those who do open/conceal carry?

Thank you.
I never saw anyone open carry in Fayetteville, NC, when my husband and I lived there. On private property, sure, but not on the street.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never saw anyone open carry in Fayetteville, NC, when my husband and I lived there. On private property, sure, but not on the street.

Not sure why an NC post popped up when the states concerned are NY and NH. Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time.

but...I was at Bragg four different times for about 10 total years. Thankfully Moose Butler is gone, but I have no news about the new guy. Plenty of folks OCing around there. Less than I see in NH though.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:15 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Not sure why an NC post popped up when the states concerned are NY and NH. Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time.

but...I was at Bragg four different times for about 10 total years. Thankfully Moose Butler is gone, but I have no news about the new guy. Plenty of folks OCing around there. Less than I see in NH though.
You're not missing a thing. My husband - who told me that my mind often moved in mysterious ways - was stationed there four times. Twice before I married him. I mentioned it because I expected to see it there and didn't.

Did the Army discourage that?

Old 07-06-2021, 05:23 PM

402 posts, read 686,888 times
Glad I live in Az.! no worries open or concealed. That being said I carry concealed, just a better way I think.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're not missing a thing. My husband - who told me that my mind often moved in mysterious ways - was stationed there four times. Twice before I married him. I mentioned it because I expected to see it there and didn't.

Did the Army discourage that?

Sorry for the delayed reply. The Army didn't discourage lawfully carrying(off post). Of course the Army is extremely risk averse and would prefer none of their people have anything such as firearms, motorcycles, boats, you name it, so every time you add another "risk" factor people frowned. It gets to be a thing where folks off post leave their supposed risks out of the Army's view.

I have put (town I live in in NH), NC on forms a half dozen times since I've moved here. Easy to slip up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Glad I live in Az.! no worries open or concealed. That being said I carry concealed, just a better way I think.
No worries in NH either and I agree with you on concealed.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:11 AM

OP, along the lines of this thread, there are a couple of anti-2A businesses in NH. Here is a burgeoning discussion on another board(some NSFW language): https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown...oid/56-655758/

One of these places is the Common Man restaurant family. They have lots of locations, good food, good service, good beer made by Smuttynose, and I've never met an unfriendly employee there. A poster last year had a good experience with their prepared Thanksgiving meals as well. One of the bartenders in Ashland is cool, and I've had great bar service in Plymouth(place by the highway) as well. I have had two issues at their Concord location(changed tip amount & food poisoning), but I'm rarely that far south anymore.

Here is a link from NHFC discussing Common Man, its owner, and his political activism. There are several additional links within. Some dead links, but the information can be found using google advanced search of the town site. https://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/action...h-gop-digs-in/

Here is a 2013 article from a libertarian tilted "news" source discussing Common Man restaurants and another in Manchester. Note that I am not a fan of the granite grok, but occasionally they ferret out decent information. Anti-Second Amendment Eateries - Granite Grok

Here is a snapshot of some of the owner's political campaign donations:

You can make a new query here: https://www.fec.gov/data/receipts/in...12%2F31%2F2022

Now I am in no way suggesting something like a boycott. If I boycotted everything that hated me, I would be a lonely individual. Just pointing out that the Common Man restaurant chain collectively supports limiting your right to do as you please on your own property(NIMBY zoning), and supports restricting and removing your 2A rights by monetarily supporting anti 2A candidates. Basically, they are not "like minded people".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajak View Post

I need to live amongst like-minded individuals who value and will defend the constitution when the time comes.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:31 PM

26 posts, read 22,991 times
Open carry isn't too common but I've seen it a few times in the Manchester area. It's legal so do it if you want to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire