Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That sounds like Acworth.

Personally, I'd be fine with a town with no amenities, no Dunkin Donuts or Aroma Joes. Let other towns deal with the traffic congestion and needing traffic signals.

Close in description, but about 87 miles straight line distance NNE and loaded with small town drama.

I agree completely with your second sentence. That's why I'll be happy when I move from the crowded Lakes Region to Nowhereville, NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 05:25 PM

53 posts, read 83,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Close in description, but about 87 miles straight line distance NNE and loaded with small town drama.

I agree completely with your second sentence. That's why I'll be happy when I move from the crowded Lakes Region to Nowhereville, NH.
As the OP, that’s what I’m worried about, the traffic in the lakes region.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:42 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drums25 View Post
As the OP, that’s what I’m worried about, the traffic in the lakes region.
Aside from a few months in the summer, there is no real traffic in the Lakes Region. Like, none. For whatever reason, it is not much of an autumn tourist destination. This fiction that the Lakes Region is somehow crowded, or overrun with traffic, is utter nonsense.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-18-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 04:25 AM

53 posts, read 83,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Aside from a few months in the summer, there is no real traffic in the Lakes Region. Like, none. For whatever reason, it is not much of an autumn tourist destination. This fiction that the Lakes Region is somehow crowded, or overrun with traffic, is utter nonsense.
I was there in October 2019 & agree! Thanks!

Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Valerie:

3) Definitely NOT well water (Use water delivery service anyway)
4) Public town garbage pick up
Don't think OP understands where water comes from to residences. Either comes from lakes or wells.
Even some city water may come from wells. Most folks don't realize that all fish poop in the lakes. Oh, wait, that water may be filtered, right?

Public trash pick up is limited to larger cities. The rest of the towns will have a dump or more recently called a Recycling Center. No matter what the name - they are the same.

Most folks don't know where all of that "recycled" stuff ends up. Oh, they may have been "told" that it gets recycled. But about 90% +/- gets put into the ground.

The state of New Hampshire did mandate that all dumps be cleaned up. But only one town actually did this. As it is too costly.

And where that "recycled" stuff goes is anyone's guess.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:10 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Don't think OP understands where water comes from to residences. Either comes from lakes or wells.
Even some city water may come from wells. Most folks don't realize that all fish poop in the lakes. Oh, wait, that water may be filtered, right?

Public trash pick up is limited to larger cities. The rest of the towns will have a dump or more recently called a Recycling Center. No matter what the name - they are the same.

Most folks don't know where all of that "recycled" stuff ends up. Oh, they may have been "told" that it gets recycled. But about 90% +/- gets put into the ground.

Quote:
I was there in October 2019 & agree! Thanks!

And I lived there from 1993-2001. The traffic was a royal pain from Memorial Day to Labor Day, after which time they roll up the sidewalks. I haven't seen any less during the times I've been back in the summer.

The state of New Hampshire did mandate that all dumps be cleaned up. But only one town actually did this. As it is too costly.

And where that "recycled" stuff goes is anyone's guess.

My understanding is that the "recycled stuff" is primarily shipped out of state. There's a big facility near Portland somewhere. After that...

OP should also be aware that there are places in NH where "water delivery service" is not available.

He needs to stay in the southern half of the state to find the amenities that he's looking for.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:36 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Delivery as in Poland Spring is not available?

Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Delivery as in Poland Spring is not available?

Depends on the town and your road. I can't get bottled water where I live.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:05 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,875,868 times
As far as dumps ,land fills . Pittsburg wit a pop.of around 500 at the time had one of the best places in the state to watch bears and that was the town land-fill .Every day the Bruins would paw over the trash looking for Good Eats. Dusk was the best time ,alas its ended about 20 years ago.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:12 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Veering slightly off-topic, since the discussion has turned to landfills in the north country, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the most recent debacle with an out-of-state entity that wants to use open space in NH to benefit other north-eastern states - this time to benefit states that are 'out-of-landfill space' (as this would be a regional, not a municipal landfill...)

This concept should sound familiar to many. Remember Northern Pass, when an out-of-state energy company wanted to import electricity from Canada to MA ny running it through (but not to!) New Hampshire. Or the Kinder Morgan natural gas pipeline that would have run through (but not to!) New Hampshire. Now an out of state entityq1 (Casella, out of VT) has applied for a landfill in the town of Daulton. This would mean trucks from multiple other states on NH roads with full trucks of garbage from MA, NY, & RI...

Read more here:
www.saveforestlake.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire