Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:47 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums25 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I’m familiar with the property taxes. Here on Long Island, anything below 10k in property taxes is considered cheap, lol. No income tax is great too! I greatly appreciate the advice! As I only visited the lake region (which I loved) it seems more of a vacation spot. Next week I want to explore others areas as suggested! Thanks again!
I also recommend some of the areas north of the Lakes Region that have closer proximity to I-93 like Campton and Thornton. Those are very nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:27 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP22 View Post
The Lakes region IMO is overrated. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You had asked about Laconia. There's quite a bit or drugs and property crime there. There are much nicer towns in the lakes region but growing up in southern NH it always felt so remote.
I too think the Lakes region is overrated. I mean they're big ponds-every state has them. I just don't get the draw. I probably wouldn't be a good fit for the tourism industry. I certainly wouldn't call them remote, but I understand how it might have felt as a kid driving an hour up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP22 View Post
Most people in rural to suburban NH drink well water with no health issues. You can get it tested for like 100 bucks. A lot of people also install water filtration systems of different sorts. I just bought an under the counter reverse osmosis system for like $230.
There seems to be some weird aversion to well water here. Of course I find a lot of things odd and I'm sure folks say the same about me. I also grew up on well water, and am living on well water now. I understand that people may want to avoid future costs such as repairs, but I would rather be on a well than rely on the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I also recommend some of the areas north of the Lakes Region that have closer proximity to I-93 like Campton and Thornton. Those are very nice areas.
These are some of my favorite towns. Neither of them are overcrowded with tourists other than being the gateway to WV. Convenient to a bunch of stuff, and pretty as heck. The views on Ellsworth Hill rd in Campton are awesome. I was this !! close to putting in an offer on a large chunk of land down Page Rd in Campton, but it was a good 1000' after the road turned into a Class VI rd. While I had no issues, Campton's requirements are extremely strict-I would have needed 100K in road building just to apply for a driveway permit.

One drawback for the two towns is a significant number of the houses are in named developments and have deed restrictions. I kind of annoyed my poor agent by making restrictions or HOAs a firm no go zone.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:32 PM

29 posts, read 29,260 times
NH has the 4th lowest tax burden per capita in the country and, as a result, the 4th most residents born out of state. Stratham and Greenland are probably your best bets to commute to Portsmouth........a little price relief from Rye, Newcastle, North Hampton and Portsmouth but nice with good schools (Greenland goes to Portsmouth HS, Stratham to Exeter HS) and just as appealing in my view in terms of space and neighborhoods. Nearby Newington has the lowest property taxes in NH, is also desirable, especially with Pease AFB only having a few commercial/government flights each day, but small population and very limited inventory most of the time no matter the market.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-21-2021, 05:09 AM

53 posts, read 83,574 times
As the OP, I had to put my search on hold last month. I was finally able to get up to the Lake Region this past weekend. I’ve narrowed my search down to Wolfeboro. I’ve never met such nice people who live in that town! I will head back up next month to get more familiar with the area.

I greatly appreciated all the suggestions! Please keep them coming, as my home search begins!
Thanks!

Last edited by drums25; 09-21-2021 at 05:52 AM..

Old 09-21-2021, 12:19 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Wolfeboro is a nice town. As a bonus, it has its own community hospital. There's not as much big-box shopping there, but you can get that on a day trip to Tilton.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:50 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatt99 View Post
NH has the 4th lowest tax burden per capita in the country and, as a result, the 4th most residents born out of state. Stratham and Greenland are probably your best bets to commute to Portsmouth........a little price relief from Rye, Newcastle, North Hampton and Portsmouth but nice with good schools (Greenland goes to Portsmouth HS, Stratham to Exeter HS) and just as appealing in my view in terms of space and neighborhoods. Nearby Newington has the lowest property taxes in NH, is also desirable, especially with Pease AFB only having a few commercial/government flights each day, but small population and very limited inventory most of the time no matter the market.
Rate this post positively
Thank you for this info, which is valuable for me. I live in VT but need to relocate....and, unfotunately, I'll be doing it alone. Costs are going to be very important to me, as will 'quality of life' - particularly quiet areas that are relatively close to the woods and outdoor spaces. I probably should be reasonable close to a good hospital, too.
I have guidebooks (for touristy things) that I will use to find places of interest but I do plan on visiting in the very near future and again in the spring....but I'll need to move on by spring/summer next year for sure.

PS (edit).....I also have to be in a safe area.....(who doesn't?) So....I'd entertain any and all suggestions and comments. TTYL

Old 09-22-2021, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 88,941 times
Here in Franklin it would seem the bubble is running out. Local hospital, you're a few minutes from woods and trails pretty much anywhere, safety has increased. There is hope. Hope works.

as a general thing, don't be afraid to bid well under asking price. I've seen properties go, recently and in the worst of the bubble, go for barely above half asking price. More common for "project" properties, of course, but, who knows, you may be hitting an investor that overstretched and now has to face the music...

we originally wanted waterfront. Forget it, THAT market is holding up just fine.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2021, 10:22 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drums25 View Post
Hi,
My wife & I are looking to move to NH. We’ve visited the “Lake Region” many times. However, we are looking to explore other areas of NH.

We are not looking for the city life. Although, nothing too rural. A country like setting, with a 10-15 drive +/- to local stores.
Schools are not an issue. Work is not an issue either, as we will be retiring soon. Obviously a safe town.
A condo would be ideal or a small ranch. Budget between 400k-500k I know inventory is low & it’s a sellers market.

Thanks! Open to all suggestions!
I find it hard to believe people actually ask strangers on the internet where they should move and then give their criteria. Do you do that with other areas of your life?

Old 10-07-2021, 02:14 PM

53 posts, read 83,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I find it hard to believe people actually ask strangers on the internet where they should move and then give their criteria. Do you do that with other areas of your life?
What is this forum/Citi Data for?
Who would know town’s better than the people who live in the state? Many suggested the same towns. Are they all liars living in the same towns & post here? Perhaps you should ask them on here. That would be a great topic for the forum here.

Yes, I definitely do that with other areas of my life. Knowledge is power!

Old 10-08-2021, 10:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
I have relocated across the country and back again with my family and I sure wish that this forum had been available then!

While there's lots of information available online (most of it advertising) for those moving to an unfamiliar area - There is nothing as valuable as opinions and ideas from people who actually live there and are knowledgeable about town amenities, school systems, and so much more.

And for what it's worth, they are not asking people where they should move, they are just looking for ideas of the best places to explore. You can waste an awful lot of time having to go from town to town to town when you are trying to relocate - Especially if you have limited time to do so so due to a new job or a corporate transfer.

And I found that assigned "Relocation Agents" to be pretty useless. In fact, it was my experience with relocation agents that prompted me to get my real estate license... Just my story and my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire