Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 17,795 times

Advertisements

Easy question I hope. Looking to see what peoples opinions are on buying a sfh vs buying a multi-family. The latter half would be bought between family members. Are there regions in the area that would be better to look for a multi-vs single. We are partial to the Dover area but are also looking for perhaps more land with a homestead type feel if we go the multifamily route. Hopefully my post is not too confusing in what I'm asking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 02:17 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
I like space, so sharing walls is not my thing.

There are plenty of condos through the Lakes and touristy parts of the White Mountains. Unknown about duplex type stuff.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I like space, so sharing walls is not my thing.

There are plenty of condos through the Lakes and touristy parts of the White Mountains. Unknown about duplex type stuff.
Sharing is not ours either but the current market doesn’t bode well for first time home buyers unable to go 70k over asking and so we have talked about going into a multi-family with family. We wouldn’t be living next to people we didn’t know do I guess that would be a bonus.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded_Scorpio View Post
Easy question I hope. Looking to see what peoples opinions are on buying a sfh vs buying a multi-family. The latter half would be bought between family members. Are there regions in the area that would be better to look for a multi-vs single. We are partial to the Dover area but are also looking for perhaps more land with a homestead type feel if we go the multifamily route. Hopefully my post is not too confusing in what I'm asking!
Not saying they're not out there, but most two-family homes are "in town". Dover definitely has a lot of multifamily homes. If both units will be owned, rather than you buying the whole thing and renting the other half out, typically the legalities are structured as a condominium complex, even if it's just a two-unit complex.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:52 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Sharing is not ours either but the current market doesn’t bode well for first time home buyers unable to go 70k over asking and so we have talked about going into a multi-family with family. We wouldn’t be living next to people we didn’t know do I guess that would be a bonus.

Yeah. I've had similar conversations/commiserations with several people over the last year. To say "it's rough out there" would be putting it mildly.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Sometimes you encounter a 2-family home on an acre or larger lot, usually a townhouse/duplex style new construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Not saying they're not out there, but most two-family homes are "in town".
When I was looking at houses in S.NH (before the recent boom) I noticed a strange trend in new construction homes -- building a duplex (one shared wall) on a multi-acre lot.

So you have no neighbors within sight, except for the family you share a wall and well and driveway with. I suppose it does make sense for multi-generational living, and maybe allows developers to get around some town zoning in relation to minimums.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
When I was looking at houses in S.NH (before the recent boom) I noticed a strange trend in new construction homes -- building a duplex (one shared wall) on a multi-acre lot.

So you have no neighbors within sight, except for the family you share a wall and well and driveway with. I suppose it does make sense for multi-generational living, and maybe allows developers to get around some town zoning in relation to minimums.
It sounds similar to a condex:

https://activerain.com/blogsview/375...k-is-a-condex-

Old 09-23-2021, 03:53 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up Thank you, Granite Stater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

A very nice & helpful link, Granite Stater It has the look of a nice large house, but it has the
capacity for 2 families. And sometimes more, right? Very pretty!

What I like, is that it does not look like an apartment building, it looks like a house, fits in with the surrounding single family homes.

As prices keep going up, the cost of living keeps going up, that might be a good solution.
And it brings families closer as well. Some children might also want to be closer to their
parents or a sibling. You're close to a loved one, yet, still have your privacy. A win win. Thank you!

Old 10-04-2021, 02:37 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
I'm seeing that too around here. Of the new construction (and there's been a lot of construction in my area in the last few years) about 50% are condex type. The SFH usually start about $1' +, so the condex, at $699K+ is the "affordable" alternative. I've lived in one before and I didn't really hear or have any issue with the other side. They are usually joined by the garages, so the living area is completely independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: