Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:59 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times

Advertisements

The home is situated at 105 Lake Road, Dublin (Cheshire County) and had been priced at $3,650,000 but was reduced to $2,950,000. Taxes are $47,000 per year. It went under contract on October 7 but the sellers are asking for more bids indicating that they are not satisfied with the current offer.

There is yet another estate just put on the market also in Cheshire County. It is situated at 149 Pond Brook Road in West Chesterfield, listed for $5,995, 000. The estate is magnificent and has every conceivable luxury with the exception of a private air field. Real Estate tax is $70,000 per year. Note: This is much less than Bob Bahre's Lake Winni estate tax bill at $254,000. But it is still a big chunk to have to pay every year.

The West Chesterfield property was one of the homes of real estate investor John Chakalos who was found dead in his Connecticut home in 2013 possibly murdered by his grandson. I don't know if the house is owned by the Chakalos' estate or already distributed to his heirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 01:59 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,439 times
How do you know they’re asking for more offers on the Dublin property? Because Zillow says they’re accepting backup offers? I’ve noticed this status seems to be common now. Could be they’re concerned about any number of things aside from the price, though. Contingencies, ability to finance, etc.. I always try to read something into it but I don’t know… I think maybe a lot of people just have their realtor automatically select this status. Are there other websites which show that sort of status? I know the actual MLS doesn’t (at least publicly.)

I tried to look up the ownership of that other property but I’m not sure if West Chesterfield assessing info is online. I found what I thought was the property under Chesterfield, but then realized that given the assessed value there was no way it was the same one. (Didn’t compare anything else before noticing that.)

It is sort of hard to fathom, but I guess $40-something K or even $250,000 is pocket change for some people! That West Chesterfield one is so grand and honestly the mere thought of owning it sort of stresses me out. You would have to spend so much money on maintenance and have so many people in your life every day, just cleaning the place, maintaining the grounds, etc.. It’s certainly a different sort of lifestyle beyond just living in a far more gorgeous house than I could ever hope to own.

Edit: Actually is that the right address for the W. Chesterfield one? I had already looked at the listing because I saw it posted somewhere else, but I can’t find it using that address.

I just checked and it is 140 Pond Brook Road. The assessing database indicates it is still a Chakalos property. Not clear if it is completely up to date.

Last edited by cowbell76; 10-09-2021 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2021, 05:43 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post

I just checked and it is 140 Pond Brook Road. The assessing database indicates it is still a Chakalos property. Not clear if it is completely up to date.
Sorry for the error. The 9 and 0 are right net to each other on my keyboard. The link is below.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...42956727_zpid/

Old 10-10-2021, 06:59 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Sorry for the error. The 9 and 0 are right net to each other on my keyboard. The link is below.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...42956727_zpid/
Boston.com had a story on the house (that it was the most expensive in the state since the Bahre estate sold in Alton a few years ago). Auther noted the Bahre estate was 49mm, reality was the estate was 2 houses that sold for 5mm each. So 10mm total sale, no where near their 49mm asking price.

This Pond Brook home is nice but in the middle of no where. I wouldn't buy that place for 1mm.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:41 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
I wonder why boston.com did not do a story on the property in North Hampton that includes Historic Runnymede Farm that is listed for $19,950,000. The former home of Dancer's Image, the winner of the 1968 Kentucky Derby who was then disqualified due to a post-race drug test has been on the market since Feb 2021. More recently, it was owned by Dan Brown, author of The Divinci Code, Inferno, etc. This property of 48 acres includes an impressive 6-bedroom, 9500 s/f home, multiple out buildings, including the 4000 s/f 12-stall barn & the 3000 s/f caretaker's residence. Or someone could just purchase the barn & caretaker's residence for just over 5 mil. This property is just 1/2 mile from the ocean. I was lucky to have attended an equestrian event here several years ago - those beautiful horses live better lives than many humans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Boston.com had a story on the house (that it was the most expensive in the state since the Bahre estate sold in Alton a few years ago). Auther noted the Bahre estate was 49mm, reality was the estate was 2 houses that sold for 5mm each. So 10mm total sale, no where near their 49mm asking price.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I wonder why boston.com did not do a story on the property in North Hampton that includes Historic Runnymede Farm that is listed for $19,950,000. The former home of Dancer's Image, the winner of the 1968 Kentucky Derby who was then disqualified due to a post-race drug test has been on the market since Feb 2021. More recently, it was owned by Dan Brown, author of The Divinci Code, Inferno, etc. This property of 48 acres includes an impressive 6-bedroom, 9500 s/f home, multiple out buildings, including the 4000 s/f 12-stall barn & the 3000 s/f caretaker's residence. Or someone could just purchase the barn & caretaker's residence for just over 5 mil. This property is just 1/2 mile from the ocean. I was lucky to have attended an equestrian event here several years ago - those beautiful horses live better lives than many humans...
It’s interesting you mention this. Someone mentioned this property on the NH Reddit awhile ago, specifically that it was owned by Dan Brown, and people were all outraged by the asking price vs. the assessed value (like look, here is Dan Brown ripping off the town by not paying his “fair share.”) I’m trying to remember the specifics, but I couldn’t find any evidence (in the assessor’s database) that it was owned by Dan Brown or had previously been. I don’t have a Reddit account so I didn’t participate in the discussion but everyone just took the OP on that thread at his word that it was Dan Brown’s.

I just looked it up again and the issue was that someone else is listed as the owner in the town’s assessing database, and that person has supposedly owned it since 2001 (with a wife added in 2006.) The person before him was also not Dan Brown. Is it possible for a famous person to have a false name on the tax assessor’s roll? I would expect perhaps a trust or something, but not a regular person’s name that doesn’t match their name.

I see that what I gather is an abutting property on Atlantic Ave (now owned by Historic Runnymede Farm LLC and also for sale for the $5.2 million you mention) was also previously owned by this same person. I’m curious about it. I mean, Dan Brown is a very prominent resident and a lot of people in the area have met him. I have personally met him. It isn’t like the location of his residence would be secret, so I assume people know what they’re talking about, but I am curious about this name in the assessor’s database.

Second question though… why is the $19.5 million property listed as having 14.89 acres, not 48 as you mention? The description does say it is “amid 58 acres.” (Yes, I meant to type 48 and 58.) Seems like it is actually 14.89 actually for sale at that price? The listing description confuses me a little bit.

Last edited by cowbell76; 10-10-2021 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-10-2021, 08:38 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Usually the pending accepting offers status is during an option/inspection period or financing contingency period. Property will often still be shown and backup offers accepted in case the other contract terminates.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:43 AM

441 posts, read 440,579 times
Even if I won the lottery and was wealthy I would NEVER buy such a large house. it's just stupid. Like others said the upkeep would be tremendous and the taxes NO WAY. I would be happy in a small house maybe 2500 sq feet with some land would be perfect. I do love NH but the property taxes are so high. But of course no sales tax or income tax is nice.

You also have the best motto ever!!

:-)

Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Even if I won the lottery and was wealthy I would NEVER buy such a large house. it's just stupid. Like others said the upkeep would be tremendous and the taxes NO WAY. I would be happy in a small house maybe 2500 sq feet with some land would be perfect. I do love NH but the property taxes are so high. But of course no sales tax or income tax is nice.

You also have the best motto ever!!

:-)

That is my thought too. I picked up a hair less than 40 acres and am building a 1400 sqft house with an attached 815 sqft two car garage. Hope to get the driveway and some clearing done before the snow hits.

The land is currently in current use, but I'll take a couple acres out in the spring for the house. Currently saving pennies for the LUCT.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:53 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
That's an impressive entrance:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9078...7i16384!8i8192

There are a surprisingly numerous number of much higher end properties with very high tax bills in the Monadnock Region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire