Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,413 times

Advertisements

So what is everyone doing for the 4th of july??? Since it falls on a Friday, is anyone going away for a long weekend? For me and my family, I think we are staying home, I hate going out in holiday traffic, and the drunk drivers... We will be watching the firework show at our town mall. Where we live, we can see the fireworks from the mall and then from Magic Mountain. So we get 2 shows. Once in my life I would love to see the Fireworks over the Boston Harbor.

Whatever you all do, please be safe and have a wonderful time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
We will be staying local. We will be going to a parade, "duck race" and fireworks on Friday. Not really sure what else for the rest of the weekend-but I am sure some good food will be involved.

Nicolem

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 AM

92 posts, read 242,463 times
My 10 year old son is fighting (he does boxing) this weekend so we'll be in Orlando so not sure if we'll get to see the fireworks but we always talk to the kids about what the holiday is so at least they know their history and know what they are celebrating.
Met many kids who have no idea which is a shame, also as it coincides with Gettysburg we tell them about that too

happy weekend to all.

Suzet
the fireworks over Boston is alright but certainly not good to go into town to see them.
Actually IMHO it's over hyped like NY times square is for new years

Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud American View Post
My 10 year old son is fighting (he does boxing) this weekend so we'll be in Orlando so not sure if we'll get to see the fireworks but we always talk to the kids about what the holiday is so at least they know their history and know what they are celebrating.
Met many kids who have no idea which is a shame, also as it coincides with Gettysburg we tell them about that too

happy weekend to all.

Suzet
the fireworks over Boston is alright but certainly not good to go into town to see them.
Actually IMHO it's over hyped like NY times square is for new years
Proud American-you are truly a great American for speaking about the great importance of July 4th with your kids. It is a shame that many do not TRULY understand the extreme sacrifices that were made-not only by our founding fathers but the "nameless" soldiers who died to form this wonderful country. I am so proud of them all. I actually have a few ancestors who fought and some died for our independence. We need to be eternally greatful for the sacrifices that were made back then by all of them. It is too easy to "take them for granted" IMHO.

Good luck to your son with his boxing match.

Nicolem

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Call me crazy, but I'm actually going to Canada with my brother for the 4th. We're going to Quebec City to see the height of their 400th anniversary celebrations. I absolutely love the city and I can't wait to see all the parades and concerts and everything!

Besides, Bristol's fireworks aren't until the 12th this year for some reason. Not that they're particularly good...

Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm actually going to Canada with my brother for the 4th. We're going to Quebec City to see the height of their 400th anniversary celebrations. I absolutely love the city and I can't wait to see all the parades and concerts and everything!

Besides, Bristol's fireworks aren't until the 12th this year for some reason. Not that they're particularly good...
That sounds like fun. I have never been but I have heard that Quebec City is beautiful. I am gaining 10 pounds just thinking about the pastries that I saw when I watched a show on the travel channel about QC.

May I ask a question? I have always wanted to go there. How do they really treat Americans? If we went and were able to speak passable French-but still obviously American- would we be ok?

Since you love it and have been there, I would rather have your opinion, instead of rumor or gossip. It is someplace that we always wanted to go.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Nicolem

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Talking happy new year ha ha ha...oops wrong holiday.....lol

maybe going camping. not sure yet.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
No plans whatsoever, but that doesn't mean much. I'm pretty spontaneous. I've been to the mall fireworks display a few times, Suzet and used to be able to see the magic mtn. fireworks from our balcony believe it or not from way across the valley.

My dogs always freak out on the 4th, and have been freaking out with each of the many recent thunderstorms, btw....

Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
if you guys have fireworks out there the whole state will burn down. it's seems like it's already half way there. fire works are the last thing you guys need out there

Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
That sounds like fun. I have never been but I have heard that Quebec City is beautiful. I am gaining 10 pounds just thinking about the pastries that I saw when I watched a show on the travel channel about QC.

May I ask a question? I have always wanted to go there. How do they really treat Americans? If we went and were able to speak passable French-but still obviously American- would we be ok?

Since you love it and have been there, I would rather have your opinion, instead of rumor or gossip. It is someplace that we always wanted to go.
I have never once encountered any kind of negative attitude in Quebec because I'm American. Canadians in general seem like pretty friendly people overall (there may be bad apples, but that's the same as anywhere else). Quebec City gets tons of English-speaking tourists, so you don't even *really* need to know French, haha. Most people speak English pretty well, although you'll occasionally come across some who don't.

At any rate, most Quebecers would probably love it if you used even a little bit of French with them. It might not be the best way to communicate, especially since their accents are very different from the European French taught in schools, but they always appreciate the effort!

If you get the chance to go to Quebec City, do it without hesitation. It's probably one of the best-kept secrets in all of North America and I'm surprised that more New Englanders don't go up there. It has all the charm of Europe in a small, walkable, very clean and safe city. It's one of my favourites in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire