Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

154 posts, read 688,465 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what they know about Concord and surrounding areas? I'm looking for an affordable safe, place to raise a family but still have access to jobs ( culture would be a plus too). Good public education is also very important. ANy thoughts on those topics re: Concord?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM

103 posts, read 317,061 times
Concord, so far is safe for children as long as they're not looking for trouble.

Most of the people from the towns north of Concord like me, consider it a rude place, and don't like it there.

Pretty much like any other city. Someone will put you into the guard rail
before they'll let you out in front of them. For some reason also, the people who work in the stores there are rude as heck too.
I used to go there every weekend but got tired of being treated like a homeless dog, so now I just send away for my outdoor gear.
Save a ton of gas too.

Myself. I would look North, or East of Concord.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWIC View Post
Concord, so far is safe for children as long as they're not looking for trouble.

Most of the people from the towns north of Concord like me, consider it a rude place, and don't like it there.

Pretty much like any other city. Someone will put you into the guard rail
before they'll let you out in front of them. For some reason also, the people who work in the stores there are rude as heck too.
I used to go there every weekend but got tired of being treated like a homeless dog, so now I just send away for my outdoor gear.
Save a ton of gas too.

Myself. I would look North, or East of Concord.

Wow someone who agrees with me about Concord-how very refreshing! I thought my husband and I were the only ones who felt this way.

Nicolem

Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM

103 posts, read 317,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Wow someone who agrees with me about Concord-how very refreshing! I thought my husband and I were the only ones who felt this way.

Nicolem
I know a whole lot of others that feel the same way about Concord. No-Body can put their finger on it but all agree. Concord is a place that you go to, only if you absolutely, positively, need to go there.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,122 times
I am shocked to read the negativity surrounding Concord. People are very warm, friendly, outgoing, and welcoming after they get to know you. That usually takes only four years. After a few decades you can actually claim you are from Concord. And after a few generations, if your family has lived and died in the city, you might actually get invited to something. So to you tourists who come to Concord to shop or work, remember that the citizens here are going WAY out of their way to serve you or accept your services and you should feel lucky to be a part of their very special town.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I am shocked to read the negativity surrounding Concord. People are very warm, friendly, outgoing, and welcoming after they get to know you. That usually takes only four years. After a few decades you can actually claim you are from Concord. And after a few generations, if your family has lived and died in the city, you might actually get invited to something. So to you tourists who come to Concord to shop or work, remember that the citizens here are going WAY out of their way to serve you or accept your services and you should feel lucky to be a part of their very special town.
I was not a tourist. I lived and working in Concord for almost 7 years. My husband and I couldn't be happier to no longer live in a city where leftists rule and they cut or propose cutting snow removal and night time fire service but don't worry they have a trolley-oh boy!. They want to be the San Francisco of the east I guess.

I made some very good friends in Concord but I did not like the place-it was not for us. I do however love the Lakes Region. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by nicolem; 08-21-2008 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
LOL--Nice
Reps to you Konk, and good first post!
Nothing like a bit of morning sarcastic humor while I'm eating my Cheerios!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,002 times
Back to the question at hand...Concord has many jobs (of certain types), and has some good cultural things going on (Capitol Center for the Arts, etc) ! I have worked in Concord for about 5 years now, and I have enjoyed it.....The school system is also pretty decent in Concord. If proximity to Concord is important and schools are an important factor for you, I would check out Bow and Hopkinton--both have excellent school systems and are within an easy commute to Concord.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM

49 posts, read 133,020 times
I dislike it because it reminds me of New Haven, CT (from which I have fled) albeit much cleaner and with infinitely less crime. Just as many uppity scenester kids though.

I've been there a few times for work related meetings.

It's way too tight for me and I'm convinced that whatever most people mean when they say "culture" is one of those things I apparently don't like. It seems to be synonymous with panhandling and over-hyped sceney restaurants as well as the occasional mime. I can live without mimes.

BTW, I haven't seen any mimes or panhandlers in Concord though I did eat at a restaurant that was really pushing it with the cost/quality ratio.

For reference I currently live in the Lakes Region.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
Concord is ok. It's a safe, mid-sized city that has a great hospital, a lot of good shopping and services. Schools are solid, and for a bigger city it's really got a small-town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire