Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM

32 posts, read 149,662 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved to NH and we are amazed at the people who refuse to admit that they are "taxed" to death in NH just like we were in NYS, however, the state has them convinced they don't have taxes. What about the outrageous "fees" to register vehicles and the "privilege" of being able to buy or sell a house. NH residents are just nickeled and dimed to death in different ways from other states. In all of our shopping ventures (grocery and otherwise), we are paying more for things than we were used to in NYS.

New Hampshire residents - you are taxed to death just like other states even though NH tells you they don't have sales tax and income tax - they just "get you" in other ways, some of which we more than likely haven't had the "privilege" to pay yet in our short time here.

But that's okay. We didn't expect a bed of roses. We came from NYS. If we could survive financially there, we can survive here. It is a beautiful state and we are happy to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 04:57 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Just curious......We are also former NYS-ers and other than the registration for my husband's car (which is much newer than mine), we really haven't found we are paying more than what we did in NYS - We were in the Mid-Hudson region - were you further north? We are now in northern NH, and so far, everything has been less expensive (with the exception of the aformentioned car)......Just wondering.....I like reading about others' experiences

Old 02-11-2007, 05:20 PM

121 posts, read 563,370 times
What kind of fees do you have to pay in NH to buy a house?

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
What kind of fees do you have to pay in NH to buy a house?
I just looked at our paperwork and saw no such fee. We had Tax stamps but they where not that high. that was only $1300 on a 150K house. so that isn't bad and it is tossed in the closing cost. So I don't know what else they are talking about.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 PM

69 posts, read 324,728 times
Tax Free State, is a joke. However, it probably is very handy for people who don't live in NH but shop here. I believe NH would be better off as a taxed state. Property tax and stuff wouldn't be so high. Registering new vehicles is ridiculous. I think Vermont is a standard $50 a year. It cost me over $300 for my Ford Focus. Hate to see the cost of a large pick-up.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer17 View Post
Tax Free State, is a joke. However, it probably is very handy for people who don't live in NH but shop here. I believe NH would be better off as a taxed state. Property tax and stuff wouldn't be so high. Registering new vehicles is ridiculous. I think Vermont is a standard $50 a year. It cost me over $300 for my Ford Focus. Hate to see the cost of a large pick-up.
VT has to pay a huge tax the first time they register the vehicle than 42 dollars a year. We never stated to be a tax free state. WE have no sales or income tax. We do how ever have the lowest tax burden in the nation aside from alaska, Who get tax money from the oil pipe. If you don't like how we due our taxes in this state than LEAVE. Noone ever said you had to stay. Sales and income tax just get raised faster when the DEMOCRATES are in control. You Failed to mention that VT has a sales tax of more than 5% plus a income tax that is over 10%, Oh ya they also have a property TAX that is almost equil to NH. Ya property taxes here are high but there are over 10 states that they are higher and those states still have a sales or income tax or both. NH is fine as is. If the dems where not in power I might consider otherwise. But there is no doubt in my mind the scumbag govner and his cronnies will give us a sales tax and keep our property taxes as they are.
At least with the conservatives in control our taxes where modest. The dems are the ones that got us into this mess with high property taxes now they got control and just want to pass laws that limit our state freedoms, and tax us more. Too bad the republicans don't know how to run a campain. We need good conservative in the house and senate now.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 PM

117 posts, read 485,883 times
I live in Ohio but am moving back to NH. I pay a heck of a lot more in taxes here than Nh ever did to me. More taxes do not get you better things. We have a 6.5% income tax ans a 6.5% sales tax and a 2% county tax and they still do not have enough money to make everyone happy. Once you start a tax it will never end. Enjoy the beauty.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM

69 posts, read 324,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
VT has to pay a huge tax the first time they register the vehicle than 42 dollars a year. We never stated to be a tax free state. WE have no sales or income tax. We do how ever have the lowest tax burden in the nation aside from alaska, Who get tax money from the oil pipe. If you don't like how we due our taxes in this state than LEAVE. Noone ever said you had to stay. Sales and income tax just get raised faster when the DEMOCRATES are in control. You Failed to mention that VT has a sales tax of more than 5% plus a income tax that is over 10%, Oh ya they also have a property TAX that is almost equil to NH. Ya property taxes here are high but there are over 10 states that they are higher and those states still have a sales or income tax or both. NH is fine as is. If the dems where not in power I might consider otherwise. But there is no doubt in my mind the scumbag govner and his cronnies will give us a sales tax and keep our property taxes as they are.
At least with the conservatives in control our taxes where modest. The dems are the ones that got us into this mess with high property taxes now they got control and just want to pass laws that limit our state freedoms, and tax us more. Too bad the republicans don't know how to run a campain. We need good conservative in the house and senate now.
All I know about Vermont was the registration, which I was just surprized about. A lot of people have been complaining about the taxes in NH and I was just going on what people have been telling me. And yes I am leaving this state.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2007 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Language.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer17 View Post
Not really. States, counties, and towns need money to run on and provide basic services (fire, police, roads, etc).

It just so happens that NH does a pretty good job of it from what I've seen. Sure, we get hit with higher property taxes, but considering that costs for property are much lower than neighboring states like Mass, etc., that all evens out.

Vehicle registration? Lemme tell ya a little story--way back in the day before I left (escaped) California, I paid virtually the same amount as in NH. Oh, and that doesn't include the smog certificate I had to pay $60-80 for. Or the DOUBLE insurance rates because of all the uninsured, etc.

On top of that, I had to pay 9.3 percent income tax, 8.25 percent sales tax ON EVERYTHING (not just meals out), and got hideous roads and traffic, lousy schools, and overwhelmed public services in return.

So go ahead and play the "grass is greener" bit. At least in NH, we get our money's worth.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 PM

147 posts, read 268,762 times
Default A lot better than other places I have lived

We just moved here from Nebraska, and let me tell ya.....try moving to Nebraska and then tell me how bad it is here. Registration is the same or worse even. Property taxes nearly identical. Then you have state income tax and about 6 1/2% sales tax. This is in as conservative a state as your gonna find....then there is all the lovely scenery and oceanfront property! LOL

Enjoy what is here...a little bit of everything and not crazy taxes.

One of the first things we noticed was how people here viewed their taxes here. I think they are high in the two areas, but other than that....?

Texas wasnt so bad tax wise....and Colorado was sorta high, but nice there too. Not even gonna talk about what my Mom's taxes are in San Francisco.....egads and yikes!

I think NH has the best of it all personally.

Last edited by frozintime; 02-12-2007 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire