Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times

Advertisements

There is a theater in Lancaster and if you go to the Berlin area there are theaters just over the Border in Maine as well. You can also find a play or 2 in the Lancaster Whitefield area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Oh! Yes! I forgot about the Weathervane Theater....if that's the one nhyrnut meant! There also used to be a Black Bear Bistro in Whitefield that had live music, but I'm not sure if that's still in business.

Franconia isn't far from us and they have a place with live music as well, but right now, I can't think of the name of it

Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Weathervane Theater, Yes that's the one. But there are alot if people know where to look.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Weathervane Theater, Yes that's the one. But there are alot if people know where to look.
In the 2 years we've been here, we're still learning One of the biggest differences between here and where we used to live is the "advertising" for lack of a better term. Back in NY EVERYTHING was advertised, either in the local paper, on the web, local access TV, etc. Up here, we've noticed a lot of things aren't widely advertised, it's more word of mouth, fliers that sometimes get "buried" under others.

Luckily we've met quite a few people in the music community, so we also get a lot of our info from them regarding what's going on.....That was how we first found out about the Weathervane Theater

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 AM

100 posts, read 206,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygurl View Post
Everyone has provided great information. This is the kind of info I've been looking for and haven't really been able to get. Many of the smaller communities don't have their own websites, so it's great to get a first hand impression. I can't get over some of that snowfall data. Here in Cincinnati, if we get over 6 inches at a time we've had a major snow event. I think it would be cool to live in a place where you're pretty much guaranteed to have a white Christmas. We hardly ever have one. I've never had the chance to participate in any of the winter sports, so it would be cool to learn some of that. It sounds like a beautiful area.

Can anyone share how the weather impacts daily life? Do you need snow tires? I just have a Chevy Aveo, a very small car . Would I be able to get around? What kind of emergency kits/planning do you do during winter? How hot are the summers? Does it get warm enough to go swimming in the lakes?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really curious about the lifestyle differences I might encounter if I made the decision to pursue teaching licensure in northern NH.

I love all the info that everyone's already provided. Anything else you can share would be great
Hi Curlygurl,

I'm a little late coming into your post but as for cold... it's really cold. For me it doesn't matter what the temperature reads, once it's under 30 - it's cold. I only remember two non white Christmas' in my southern NH home. It actually snowed in October and November those years, just not on Christmas.

How this impacts my daily life: Well, it means I get to work out all winter. I split and stack all my own cordwood with my kids. I live a seasonal lifestyle and in winter I can be found cooking more hot and hearty meals like pot pies from scratch and stews, hot cider and cocoa. In the summer I cook outside more so as not to heat up the house with extensive stove use. I bake more...

Snow tires are crucial but you can get by with all-season. That really depends on your driving. Winter also impacts me as I wonder with amazement how people can live here 20+ years and the first hint of snow on the ground driving up a clear and straight section of Route 9 into Keene, and still manage to crash their cars.... Driving in the snow for me is simply a winter sport. I love to drive and I am very in tune with the quirks and handling of my vehicle. I love my snowmobile, I love to ice skate.

It also means getting up 1-2 hours earlier each day depending on the amount of snow dumped through the night. It can take quite a while to shovel out my driveway (another winter workout) and still be on time for work.

We don't normally get so much snow that we are stranded. It has happened a couple of times but - that's just fun and romantic. So I don't think you need much for a survival kit. It's always good measure to keep extra goods in the house no matter where you live.

It gets pretty warm in summer. 90+ is not unusual in mid August. Your body will acclamate to the climate within a few years anyway, but the summers are certainly hot enough for shorts and t-shirts and soon enough you will be installing an air conditioner (although I only use a fan).

Just bear in mind that we have 5 seasons here. The names depend on who you talk to but there is Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, and Mud (otherwise known as black fly). That is to say that our springtime is split in two as the mountains thaw out and flood the valleys. My driveway (which is pretty long) gets washed out each spring and I am constantly laying gravel/stone. Once the initial thaw is over you get a really wonderful springtime.

Good luck with your research and of course I would recommend NH to anyone... but then... I'm biased.

jaqui

Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 28,479 times
whatever you do, do not live in northern new hampshire. for the sake of any happiness you ever expect to get out of life do not do that. i hate to be overly dramatic, but it is horrible up there. go for northern vermont if you want to be cold. it's prettier and the people are nicer.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 328,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWoman1964 View Post
We don't normally get so much snow that we are stranded. It has happened a couple of times but - that's just fun and romantic. So I don't think you need much for a survival kit. It's always good measure to keep extra goods in the house no matter where you live.

never found it romantic. Cold, miserable, wet, annoying, unsafe, expensive and oh yes miserable .. never romantic

Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessdel42 View Post
whatever you do, do not live in northern new hampshire. for the sake of any happiness you ever expect to get out of life do not do that. i hate to be overly dramatic, but it is horrible up there. go for northern vermont if you want to be cold. it's prettier and the people are nicer.
"Northern NH" covers, IMO, a broad area - I consider our area to be part of "northern NH" and yes, it's cold, jobs are scarce, it gets cold and we get snow, but the roads are well taken care of. I've never had the experience of "un-nice" people. People have been very friendly.....The area sometimes presents some challenges, but most places do. Horrible? I think that's pretty broad as well......we're in the Littleton area and I think the people up here are very nice and have been very nice to us since we moved here 2 years ago....

I'm assuming you lived in northern NH for a period of time - may I ask how long and where?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx_bomber123 View Post
never found it romantic. Cold, miserable, wet, annoying, unsafe, expensive and oh yes miserable .. never romantic
May I ask where in northern NH you lived, and for how long? Of course it's cold! It would be silly to live in northern NH and think it was going to be warm, for heaven's sake. Are you talking about the weather when you say "unsafe" or the area? The weather in northern NH is no more unsafe than areas that get hurricanes or tornadoes or floods, earthquakes or ranging forest fires. Expensive - a lot of places are expensive these days....in northern NH our heating bills can be expensive, but there are ways to cut down on those expenses with some common sense and planning. From reading some of your other posts, I have a feeling you spent a year in Keene, which is not exactly northern NH....

NH has its faults, everywhere does.....some people are able to adapt to it easier than others, especially northern NH and the more rural areas. If someone is used to one type of environment, whether it be climate, recreation, amenities (I won't say jobs, because things are getting tough all over), and transplants to a totally different environment, there will be a period of transition where a person can either be miserable or adapt.

Also, something I should have added to my post to endlessdel42 - Happiness is something that comes from within, not from the "outside." You can't look to a "place" to make you happy.....A place may make you feel more comfortable, weather-wise, amenity-wise, or whatever.....

The bottom line is, if you are not one who easily adapts to new areas/things, research the area you're moving to for a long time, visit often in different seasons and don't rely on a movie, book, Chamber of Commerce or even other people's descriptions/opinions of a place to get a realistic view of an area.....even if a person is one who adapts easily, check things out for yourself many times before relocating to make sure it's somewhere you will be comfortable..

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx_bomber123 View Post
Yeah, like hurricanes, bugs and stifling humidity are soooooo romantic.

“Bitterness imprisons life; love releases it. Bitterness paralyzes life; love empowers it. Bitterness sours life; love sweetens it. Bitterness sickens life; love heals it. Bitterness blinds life; love anoints its eyes.”---Harry Emerson Fosdick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire