Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times

Advertisements

So, where are you from? What do you do? What's your name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
so, where are you from? What do you do? What's your name?
+1, I'm Brian from Hollis (now)

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Well, this thread just resurfaced, so Brian from Hollis, I hope you've made a couple of new friends since then? We had a lot of neighbors stop and say hi to us when we first moved in. Since then two neighbors across the street have interacted with us more. Maybe because they have little kids too so they were thrilled that another family moved in (last owner was middle aged childless couple)? Anyway, we went to one of the families' little boy's bday party, which was cool, but otherwise no visiting or hanging out or anything. but the biggest thing about these two neighbors is how helpful the've been. During the power outage, we had to borrow a generator. One of our neighbors bought us an extra gas tank (filled!) when he went out to get one for himself. Then he came by to check on the generator because he heard it turn off and he knew we were still staying with relatives in MA. He saw it was empty and refilled it. After we came back he came to check again because Dh was at work and he was afraid a 5 gallon tank might be too heavy for me to lift. They had full power, so they invited us to their house for the next two nights so we could all take showers and bathe our kids.

Our other neighbor agreed to watch our house while we were in CA for Christmas. It snowed while we were gone, and when we came back we found he had snowblowed our driveway AND our front walk! We had actually hired someone to come plow if needed but I guess he never showed up, so the neighbor just decided to do it.

So nice. I'm not saying our neighbors in SoCal might not have been as nice, but our situation (apt) living was so transient that everyone except the kids really kept to themselves. Whenever we went away we let the manager know because there was no one else we could ask to keep an eye on anything.

Now we were warned that no one really sees each other during the winter, and I could understand why, but on this forum people said that in New England neighbors will help you in a pinch, even if they're not your best buddies. Well in our case that has been true so far. And people DO wave whenever they see you, even kids.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
We moved to Littleton in 2006. I work at home, usually pretty long hours, so I'm a bit "handicapped" in meeting people...however, we've met and socialize with people where my husband was working. My husband is also a musician and we've met and socialize with quite a few in the music community (yes, there really is a music community way up here).

We have met our neighbors, one came over and introduced himself to us when we first moved into our home, another couple we met when we had 2 moose in our yard and, although I haven't met the third "immediate" neighbor, my husband did when he was out working on one of our cars and needed a tool he was pretty sure the neighbor would have. All are very nice people - not intrusive, but not distant, either. The "moose neighbor" and hubby play guitar together occasionally. Another neighbor came through the woods one day when hubby was doing something with one of the cars outside to introduce himself - kinda suprised the heck out of DH when the guy came out of the woods!

This past weekend, we had a "North Country meet-up" at the Littleton Diner with people I've met through this forum and their spouses. It was nice putting a face and personality to the screen names and we intend to keep those friendships going "in person" as well. They may not be next door neighbors, but close enough

For those living in the more populated areas and wanting to get to know others, maybe a meet-up somewhere local could help to "jump-start" something.....you never know!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Haha...we're starting to meet some folks. My wife is doing scrap-booking with folks in town (about once a month) and I've joined a fish & game association. Still working on "friends"- but starting to make acquintances. The neighbor we have met did come by to check on us during the outage/ice storm so that was really nice and some of the others that we haven't really "met" have been more friendly with waves and whatnot.

I'd still love to meet our neighbor who we share a 1000 foot border with and has such gorgeous/well taken care of horses; but that will come in time (I hope).

All is well

Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
BF - I know someone disagreed with the bake treats suggestion when it was first made, but I still think that's a great way to meet people - shows your interest and hospitality. And I still think your idea about a BBQ would be very welcome - it would be a great way to welcome the warm weather once it arrives! More likely than not, your neighbor that shares the 1000 foot border is wondering when they are going to meet YOU! (Somebody has to make the first step!!) If they aren't receptive, that's okay -- it never hurts to try!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
Baked treats have always been a part of neighborliness, imo. I agree, that it's not only a great way to meet neighbors, but a very nice way to say thank you, Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, etc. Frozen homecooked meals are nice to give to neighbors who have just given birth, have someone in the hospital, or are renovating their kitchen! It is comforting (imo) having neighbors who know you well enough to come over & ask for a cup of sugar or a stick of butter.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
I've lived out west for most of my career (Washington, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, with a stint in central Vermont), and I don't think NH is much different than any of those places. I've lived in a place where neighbors shunned me because I wasn't of their religion. I've lived in places where there was gang activity and no one trusted their neighbors. North Dakota, where I am now, is probably the friendliest place I've lived so far. Good midwest values, I guess. I also think the austere climate and suffering brings people together. The friendliness of people here in ND is great, but not enough to bring me back here for good. I hate the lack of mountains, ocean, trees, and see no reason to put up with the austere winters.

Given everywhere I've lived (and being raised in New England), I will say that the people there are as good as anywhere else, just not as outgoing as down south, for example. Generally, they'll be there when you need them, but you might have to ask. There's some people who live in the woods because they don't want interaction with neighbors, but there's others who just like the peace and quiet and are quite social once you get to know them. If your neighbors are shy or indifferent, you'll probably have to make the first move.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
We've been in Amherst for 12 years and it is so much better here than the town we lived in in MA. We really started to make a lot of new friends when the kids went to the school systems. There are a lot of young families in town and we had couples nights, family gatherings, guys night out (or Patriots games in), chick flick night... We also joined a local swim & tennis club in town and met a lot of people through that.
The people on our street are fine. We are more friendly with some thana others. We have a neighborhood block party the Friday after the last day of school which is a great time...

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM

I do have to say, I think "nice" here is more genuine than down south. Here there seems to be no hesitation to tell it like it is; which to me, is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire