Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times

Advertisements

So do all Hannaford's have pretty universally awesome seafood/meats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Seafood, I don't know about, but I trust them for everything else.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart also is able to purchase in such high volumes that they can get vendors to customize products. Sometimes this means (with regard to hard-goods) thinner or lower cost materials (checkout their plastic storage bins vs. identical labels in certain other stores sometime).
Sort of true. If you check the UPC, the numbers will not be the same. Wal-Mart is very hard on the vendors, but sometimes its worth the fuss.

BIG SECRET - NH (except the Epping super center), VT, ME, and eastern MA Wal-Mart brand milk is actually Oakhurst milk with a different label. So when buying milk, save some money, and support local business at the same time.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Do you know if the WalMart branded Oakhurst still gets a portion of the profits donated to charity by Oakhurst?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
Have you tried Costco?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Groceries and other things in L’derry

We buy our groceries at both Hannaford’s and Shaws on Rt 102 in Londonderry. I have found that the diary products are better priced in Hannaford’s (butter, cheese (2 lb Cabot hunters cheddar for $8) and milk less than Shaws) and they have the fresh baked bread my SO prefers. Hannaford’s also carries Bryers Low Carb sugar free vanilla Ice Cream.

Shaws carries D&W brand cold cuts. I practically live on the D&W American cheese even if it is more expensive than other brands of American cheese. Shaws also has an excellent bakery with daily fresh breads. Both stores have excellent wine selections although we rarely buy.

The prepared chicken (6 to 7 dollars hot from the oven) saves us the cooking time and one chicken can provide 6 to 8 servings if you count the soup made from the remains. We buy most of our meat, and all of our hamburger, from Mr. Steer off Buttrick Road (parallel to and north of Rt 102 near Rt 128). The hamburger is ground fresh everyday and worth the price. When I open a package of burger from either Shaws or Hannaford’s the meat is grey inside and bright red due to the Carbon Monoxide treatment on the outside. Mr. Steer’s burger is red all the way through. The rest of his selection is also outstanding. He may be more expensive but as we eat relatively little steak we are willing to spend the extra money.

On a related shopping topic I prefer Bensons Hardware on Orchard lane to the Home Despot. The prices are about the same and I have been trading with the crew at Benson’s for over 20 years. They really do know their stuff. I have all my automotive work done at LBP Towing on Auburn Road just off Rt 25 near Exit 5. I have known the chief mechanic since he was in high school and I trust him completely. If he says the car needs new brakes I just have him do the work. I have never been cheated by this shop.

Andy Mack is a friend of mine so guess where I buy Apples and veggies in season (other than my garden). I get fresh eggs at Misty meadows Farm on Peabody Row and buy, mostly for presents, maple syrup from Henry Peterson also on Peabody row.

Londonderry is a nice place to live even if the winters are cold and the overall cost a bit high. The Library is OUTSTANDING with a great selection of both fiction and non fiction books and high speed internet connections.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
Quote:
]

I can't speak for all Hannafords, but I'm not thrilled w/the meats at the Hannaford in Nashua (exit 6). A few times a year I drive to the Prime Butcher in Windham and stock the freezer.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
What is this Market Basket? I only know Harvest Market. Are they the same?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
no, Harvest Market has no connection to Market Basket.

In Rochester the name of the store is simply Market Basket. In other towns, it may be called Demoulas Market Basket. I think there is one in Salem.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
DeMoulas/Market Basket, more commonly known as Market Basket, is a chain of 59 supermarkets in eastern New England. It has stores from central New Hampshire to Bristol County, Massachusetts with headquarters in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. Supermarket News ranked DeMoulas/Market Basket No. 45 in the 2008 "Top 75 North American Food Retailers" based on 2007 fiscal year estimated sales of $2.5 billion.

wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire