Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM

161 posts, read 645,451 times

Advertisements

I am not focusing my search on Nashua as a possible place to move. What towns have good schools outside of Nashua and which towns are more popular in terms of amenities but still retaining some sort of small town charm and history?

Also is there a train from Nashua to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Well Hollis, just next door to Nashua, has one of the top rated school systems in the state. Nice town, also. It's got a town center, of sorts: Monument square (which is a triangle!) has the Congregational church, the library, the townhall/fire station, a little market and just down Depot Rd is the community hall & tennis courts. Oh, and the middle school and high school are up at the top.

And just a tiny bit down the road is the cluster of gas station, Dunkin donuts (you knew there'd be one), newer market, pharmacy, post office, diner.. and a tiny bit down the road from there are the two elementary schools.

You do have to take your trash to the dump, although you might be able to contract that service (but why! it's very social there. I think they even have a 'thrift store' table set up), You need your own well & septic, but that's most of NH.

Hollis also has Brookdale Fruit Farm (aka Hardy's) and the Lull Farm both on Broad St, so if you want to buy produce stuff, you've got those. Lots of pick-you-own fields for things. They hold an Apple Festival and a Strawberry Festival, and an Old Home Days thing.

It's a nice town, I grew up there. The kids can be a bit snobby sometimes, but no all the kids. The houses can be kinda expensive though - especially the newer houses. Taxes are running about $20/1000.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
We moved to Hollis in June after renting in Merrimack (right on the Nashua border) for a few months first. We love it.

As for garbage pickup, we get pickup through MDs Trash...It's like $20 something a month to take 5 32 gallon bags (the huge black ones) every other week which is a HUGE amount of trash still. We might drop down to the once a month plan...

One of the nicest things about Hollis is that while it has stuff in town- you can get to the stores at the southern end of Nashua in 10 minutes or to the stores along 101A even faster. So while you live in this "cute, country, farmy" area...you aren't isolated in the least bit or inconvenienced.

Also- a thing on well/septic. I've noticed its a BIG deal to people who have never had it before. There is no reason for it to be, just get them inspected/tested to make sure they are working ok- and relax

Wanna- I have to disagree on the kids being snobby; maybe "for New Hampshire"; but compared to where we moved from (Arlington, VA), the kids are very nice. The ones who work in the stores/farm stands have gone out of their way to be nice. One moment that still sticks in my mind is this kid on a skateboard with red hair in all this punk/rebel clothing. He comes up to us and goes "do you know if there is a recycling bin nearby" (he had a bottle with him). Pretty awesome.

There is no train to Boston, but there is a regular bus service.
The days I have to go to Boston I drive to the Riverside T station and then ride in. It takes me an hour and a half and its FAR from the fastest way into the city- we're just new to the area and I wanted to see what the T is like

Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Hollis is nice; we looked there but could not find neighborhood, mostly houses on country roads. The kids were small then (under 5) and we wanted a quiet street. Amherst is nice. Mont Vernon is very nice as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
Wanna- I have to disagree on the kids being snobby; maybe "for New Hampshire"; but compared to where we moved from (Arlington, VA), the kids are very nice. The ones who work in the stores/farm stands have gone out of their way to be nice. One moment that still sticks in my mind is this kid on a skateboard with red hair in all this punk/rebel clothing. He comes up to us and goes "do you know if there is a recycling bin nearby" (he had a bottle with him). Pretty awesome.
Perhaps I should have said more snobby to each other. Many of the kids are great - but it can still be difficult at school unless you're the A-list sort. Luckily I hung out in the music dept and just didn't care much about the rest.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
About snobbiness: it's relative. I don't see nearly the snobbiness from adults or kids that exists in SoCal. Everyone I've dealt with in Hollis has been not only friendly but knowledgeable.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
All of them except Hudson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire