Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,192 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We having been looking to purchase in the Londonderry/Derry area for some time now, however, the cost of the homes are not within our budget. We recently discovered some new construction in Litchfield and were wondering what you could tell us about this town. I am embarrassed to admit that I grew up in Londonderry, but know absolutely nothing about Litchfield. We do have a 1 year old daughter so information about the school system is appreciated. Also is there trash pickup? I know Londonderry has it and assumed all towns had it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 24,715 times
Is that between Londonderry and Hudson, NH? I live on the other side of Derry, so I am not familiar at all - sorry??

Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
Hi I know what you mean about Litchfield. It's sort of the town that you pass through on your way to somewhere else. And yes, it is between Londonderry and Hudson.

It's grown lots in the past couple of years, and they have been building schools, town hall, etc. I know that they town was going through some "growing pains", and there is talk of public kindergarden, possibly coming in 2009. Litchfield does operate its own schools, and has an elementary (Griffin), a middle school and Campbell HS.

You specifically mentioned trash pick-up. The town doesn't provide that-you could have it picked up (and pay for it) or you could bring your separated trash to the incinerator.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 14,192 times
Exactly between Hudson or Londonderry. You have to drive through either of these towns to get to a highway.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,684 times
Default Town of Litchfield

I think you would love Litchfield, this is a great town and a great community. The schools are good. We are moving to DC and I am going to be very sad to leave. We have lived here for 5 years and have loved it. Even having to go to the dump. The "pick up" trash service isn't that expensive. We are leaving for employment purposes, otherwise I would be in no hurry to go.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,001 times
Coming from a town with no trash pickup- I can tell you that I pay $23 a month to get bi-weekly pickup of five 30 gallon bags of trash (which we never come close to completely using). So it's really not as big of an issue as it seems at first.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
I used to buy fresh fruit and vegetables from McQuesten farms in Litchfield on route 3A. Tuckahoe Turf farms was also along route 3A. It was a really nice drive and interesting to see them harvest the turf for new homes.

Once upon a time Litchfield kids attended Memorial HS in Manchester, at that time, there were only a couple of hundred kids. however, they now have Campbell HS, so it's a fairly new school. (less than 30 years old) and roughly 600 kids attending. the town has grown alot.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Coming from a town with no trash pickup- I can tell you that I pay $23 a month to get bi-weekly pickup of five 30 gallon bags of trash (which we never come close to completely using). So it's really not as big of an issue as it seems at first.
Yeah, compared to what the government spends, private trash pickup is much better. If everyone got an itemized bill from the government for what their services actually cost, a lot more things would be privatized. That's why New Hampshire is the place to be!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
I take the pick up to the dump once a month and throw away approximately 6 30 gallon bags. The town charges $1. per bag. I don't generate much trash. I don't eat anything from a box or a can. I don't get the flyers in the mail (junk mail) and I have a compost pile that is well used.

So $6. a month if I do it myself. seems reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire