Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,958 times

Advertisements

What are property taxes like in NH? I live in upstate NY at this time and want to escape taxes. Lots of luck, right? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry5010 View Post
What are property taxes like in NH? I live in upstate NY at this time and want to escape taxes. Lots of luck, right? )
Well... yeah. Schools and roads still have to be paid for and it's got to come from somewhere. There is no sales tax (except on prepared food) or income tax (except on dividends), but there are many fees and such that add up to more than you'd think.

Property taxes vary from town to town: some are high and some are pretty good. The best thing is to go to <http://www.revenue.nh.gov/municipalities/ms-new.htm> and save off the rtf file for 2006 property tax rates for each town in NH. If you keep the file, you can refer to it any time you look at a different town - it's the most recent list out there. There are a number of great websites with lots of info (city-data being one of them), but they seldom have current tax info.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:16 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,447 times
Default Property taxes on a fixed income

The New Hampshire property taxes and the high cost of heating and electricity for the long winter are the reasons that my husband and I will leave this beautiful state when we retire and have to live on a fixed income. Our property taxes on a small cape on three acres in southern NH are $3300 a year; when we first came to NH 23 years ago, our taxes on a similar house were $700. There are people in our town who are paying taxes of $7000 and $8000 and more for their larger, newer houses.

Our property taxes go mostly to supporting the local schools. Newcomers to the town often demand bigger and better services. Older people living on a fixed income often become the naysayers at that most pure of democratic institutions, the town meeting. It's not that they are against progress or making the school a better place--it's just that they are desperately afraid of losing their homes.

If you go to the Northern New England Real Estate Network website, you can see property taxes for homes in various towns and cities.

~clairz

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM

111 posts, read 484,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry5010 View Post
Based on the "Big Three", (Income, Sales and Property taxes) the residents of NH have have the distinction of ranking 49th on the list of being taxed the lowest of all other States per capita. But, that doesn't tell the whole story. There are over thirty some taxes in the books that most of us are subject to. Meals tax, energy tax, cigarette tax, liquor tax and taxes on dividends to name a few. The slogan, "Tax Free NH", is a marketing device designed to attract out-of-Staters to buy in NH and take advantage of not paying a sales tax on their purchases. It works out great for the shoppers and helps with the local economies. While large ticket items such as motor vehicles, boats and motorcycles are free from a sales tax the registration fees are very high compared to other States. As it was stated in an earlier post, the money to support the local towns and schools has to come from somewhere. Typically, but not necessarily, the towns with the larger property taxes have better services and schools. These services can be as small as curb side trash pick-up to extracuricular activities for kids in the schools. You only get what you pay for is especially true in NH. Having said all that NH is still one of the best States to live in. The political attitude is fiscal conservatism and socially libertarian. Otherwise, don't waste our money and stay out of our lives. It works well here. Live Free or Die is not a cutesy slogan but is an generation's old attitude that makes NH so great. We expect all new comers to buy into that philosophy.

Just because it's not called a tax, paying a toll to travel on some of our highways certainly is. As Franklin stated, the only two things certain in life are death and taxes.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
The New Hampshire property taxes and the high cost of heating and electricity for the long winter are the reasons that my husband and I will leave this beautiful state when we retire and have to live on a fixed income. Our property taxes on a small cape on three acres in southern NH are $3300 a year; when we first came to NH 23 years ago, our taxes on a similar house were $700. There are people in our town who are paying taxes of $7000 and $8000 and more for their larger, newer houses.

Our property taxes go mostly to supporting the local schools. Newcomers to the town often demand bigger and better services. Older people living on a fixed income often become the naysayers at that most pure of democratic institutions, the town meeting. It's not that they are against progress or making the school a better place--it's just that they are desperately afraid of losing their homes.

If you go to the Northern New England Real Estate Network website, you can see property taxes for homes in various towns and cities.

~clairz
Wouldn't that be NNEREN with the towns and everything for the tri-State area? If so that is a very good site but you still want alot of info off this 1 as well. NNEREN breaks down the towns into County and areas of the state. But they are very good with the taxes on each house.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
The political attitude is fiscal conservatism and socially libertarian. Otherwise, don't waste our money and stay out of our lives. It works well here. Live Free or Die is not a cutesy slogan but is an generation's old attitude that makes NH so great. We expect all new comers to buy into that philosophy.

I couldn't have said it better Myself. Just wish the newcomers would get it. lol

Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM

117 posts, read 485,775 times
Try living in other states and you will see it is not so bad in NH. We are on our way back shortly and will retire in NH. There are so many great things in the state that people don't see. Live in Ohio for a few years and you will beg to be back in NH. Taxes are worse here than any where I have kived including NH. We have every tax NH has only more.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM

111 posts, read 484,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIMU View Post
Try living in other states and you will see it is not so bad in NH. We are on our way back shortly and will retire in NH. There are so many great things in the state that people don't see. Live in Ohio for a few years and you will beg to be back in NH. Taxes are worse here than any where I have kived including NH. We have every tax NH has only more.
I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining about NH. My intention was to clear up some confusion about the "Tax Free NH" slogan. While our tax burden is low compared to all of the other States we are not exactly tax free. I thought that explaination would benefit people who are considering moving to or retiring to NH. The "Tax Free NH"phrase can be overused in this area. I have lived in other parts of the country and I found NH to be one of the best. I am retired and have chosen to remain here because of that opinion.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 PM

117 posts, read 485,775 times
I understand. I know there are other taxes that don't stand out as much but since living in Ohio for 6 years and wanting to retire in NH we are coming back as soon as our house is sold. We have found that in Ohio they too are finding every tax imaginable to keep finding and spending new revenue. They raise the sales tax to 6.5-7.0 for a short time but they never go back down and now they are instituting a county tax of 2% in a lot of areas to people who work there. I am just saying too that NH is nowhere near the worst interms of other taxes

Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
The "Tax Free NH"phrase can be overused in this area.
Hey, a slogan is a slogan - advertising. Hopefully people have learned that. Some are more ironic than others: NH license plates bearing the motton 'Live Free or Die' being made as a work program by people in prison! I always thought that must have been part of the punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire