Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I am very worried to hike now that I now people like to roam around with guns I always thought at least people hiking were fairly tame but I guess not
Rather than debate; I think I'd like to help you put your fears at ease and assure you that most folks who go through the added expense & effort of carrying a firearm are also correspondingly informed about firearms safety.

Likewise, if someone is carrying a firearm legally on the trail; the LAST thing they want to do is ever have to touch it- let alone use it.

Remember too- the folks here that are discussing carrying firearms are planning on owning/carrying those firearms legally. I think you'll find that legal owners of firearms are seldom involved in a crime involving them; why do something stupid with a hobby you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Hello all;

Been lurking on this site since we bought our house in Madison....great info here.

Our home is waaaaaaaaaay deep in the woods of Madison, and neighbors have warned of numerous bear sightings during the warmer months.

We have two yellow labs, an our family truly enjoys hikes or walks with the dogs, off the beaten path so to speak.
While I have been a hunter all of my life, and know how to avoid situations with bears, I'm afraid stumbling upon one with two dogs could potentially go bad. In most cases, barking dogs will put a bear off, and there is truly no issue, but the case of potentially getting between one with cubs does exist.
I have thought of carrying a revolver while hiking, open carry and in plain sight, and wondered if anyone else does that visits this forum?
I've read the NH gun laws, about CCW, and about open carry, and also about the transportation of said firearm in my vehicle.
Seems, from what I read, it would be legal to open carry hiking. As I am truly NOT a resident in the eyes of NH law, are there any other restrictions upon hikers?

Thank you in advace for your help.

NNHG
Black bears generally will have no interest in you. They are timid creatures and eat berries and other vegetation. Why not just carry pepper spray? You'll less likely to scare or hurt another being.... ???

Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Black bears generally will have no interest in you. They are timid creatures and eat berries and other vegetation. Why not just carry pepper spray? You'll less likely to scare or hurt another being.... ???

Ditto on that Woof Woof!!! I don't know why but I just feel better without guns

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
I like to go hiking, too. It would make me VERY uncomfortable to see a strange man walking alone with a gun in his holster. Especially if I was out on the trail alone. I live near the woods not far from the O.P. and I've never heard of anyone being attacked or harmed by wildlife around here. Black bear sighting are not uncommon, but the bears usually take off running when they see you. All they want is their berries...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from- I think a lot of folks just haven't been around them in a safe & responsible environment; they only are exposed to them in TV, Movies, and on the news. Basically hundreds of thousands of stories about: "Joe went and shot bullseye practice after work with friends at a range" doesn't make for high ratings/readership.

If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to send some basic safety information to you as well as some information on some constructive past times involving firearms.

(the offer stands for anyone interested)

Last edited by BF66389; 03-05-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:

Then don't own one. It really is that simple.

Thankfully our founding fathers did not take anyone's "feelings" into account when they wrote the 2nd amendment. They were more concerned with our rights.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I understand where you are coming from- I think a lot of folks just haven't been around them in a safe & responsible environment; they only are exposed to them in TV, Movies, and on the news. Basically hundreds of thousands of stories about: "Joe went and shot bullseye practice after work with friends at a range" doesn't make for high ratings/readership.

If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to send some basic safety information to you as well as some information on some constructive past times involving firearms.

(the offer stands for anyone interested)
Actually my husband was a former firemarms instructor and in law enforcement for over twenty years. I also have a concealed gun permit although I would never ever ever consider packing

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

Then don't own one. It really is that simple.

Thankfully our founding fathers did not take anyone's "feelings" into account when they wrote the 2nd amendment. They were more concerned with our rights.

I don't own one I own a lot of things that I choose not to drag around with me I suppose I could bring sharp knives with me or something as well...LOL!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Actually my husband was a former firemarms instructor and in law enforcement for over twenty years. I also have a concealed gun permit although I would never ever ever consider packing
Ok, good deal. So many people are scared by firearms because you generally don't see the "responsible ownership" aspect of them or have any personal training on their safety (no different than your Mom/Dad teaching you how to use a knife as a child really- just not as commonplace); so I wanted to make sure that wasn't the case.

I just feel it is very important for people to realize that a normal person with a gun is no more of a threat than someone without.
When that changes is when it is a criminal...and in that case- gun, knife, string, stick, whatever- they are still a criminal and a threat.

The worry needs to be of the person, not the object...you know?

Anyway- I'm off topic now; but I don't want folks hiking to be afraid when they see Nicolem or SgtHoskins on the trail- there's no reason to be. They chose to carry a firearm, others are wearing a pocket knife, others a gps- all just equipment choices and not something to be scared of.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
thank you for your concern. Hurt another being, I think not. I am professionally trained and certified with firearms, licenced for 25 years and an NRA CERTIFIED instructor for the last 15.

My original post, the reason for this thread was to find out who carries, who does not, and to find out the legitamicy of carrying....to protect myself and my family and dogs.
Dogs are curious animals, and on the outside chance we came across a mother and cubs, it has the potential for the pucker factor to shoot waaaaaay up.

NOT to stalk and hunt bears, not to intimidate other beings.

Thanks again to my fellow responsible firearm owners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire