Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 AM

105 posts, read 209,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Nashua on the other hand has awful schools, a crime ridden inner city, tons of traffic on DW highway, punks from Lawrence hanging out at the mall. It does have a few good restaurants downtown and there probably are a few nice neighborhoods -- but if you're going to live in NH there so many nicer towns close to the border to choose from, including Hollis which borders Nashua.
Not true. Nashua has a far bigger and more diverse population than the surrounding towns, so the schools depend really on where you live in the city. None are truly bad though. If you want your kids to go to smaller, more homogenous schools, then Hollis, Amherst and Bedford are better.

Drugs? Drinking? The best parties when I was growing up were always those towns---especially Hollis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,074,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Drugs? Drinking? The best parties when I was growing up were always those towns---especially Hollis.
<sigh> can't deny that they aren't there.. when I was in high school apparently most of the A-list crowd used. However.. being a music nerd I wasn't even aware of them until the middle of my senior year when we were discussing titles for the yearbook (class clown, class musician, most likely to....) and some brain thought we should have Class Head. Didn't even know what the term was! So.... if you're looking for it, you can find it anywhere you are. If you're not interested, it's pretty easy to ignore.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,872,033 times
My commute from Amherst to exit 26 in Bedford (I must be next to BF66389 every day) takes 35 minutes if I get going early. It is 33 miles door to door. I live in Amherst, but on the Merrimack line. I take 3 through Nashua and take exit 11. It is 5 miles from there on a country road to my house in Amherst. We have three kids in the schools and have had a great experience with the school system. We looked in Hollis back in the mid-90's but they had not built the new high school then and most of the houses for sale were on country roads rather than in a neighborhood...

Old 04-05-2009, 02:09 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,431,026 times
Cool Londonderry , Derry

You might consider Londonderry, Derry

-jeff--
Winchester, MA

Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM

45 posts, read 162,964 times
How about Merrimack? It's just next to Nashua on Rt 3 so pretty good for commuting plus it has good schools. If I had kids I would be comfortable raising them in Merrimack.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 PM

5 posts, read 10,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
We've been renting in Bedford for the last month, driving around to check out different towns and keep coming back to Nashua because of it's proximity to MA. Asking our in Bedford, I only get "horror" stories about life and schools in Nashua...
We are certainly interested in sending our kids (1, 4) to good schools, but are also looking for the entire package to be right. Also, we'd like to support our future public school by getting involved whereever we can instead of sending the kids to private school.

Somebody recommended Nashua's North End to us - at first glance the houses all look very nice, but the streets/sidewalks etc. don't seem so well maintained after all. what other nice pockets are there?

Thanks! Claudia

Claudia,
As a teacher in a NH public school, your best bet is Bedford. Their school system is top.....a high percentage of students go on to college. Nashua has some issues. I wish our children had gone to the Bedford school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire