Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
csw csw started this thread

31 posts, read 85,314 times

Advertisements

We've been renting in Bedford for the last month, driving around to check out different towns and keep coming back to Nashua because of it's proximity to MA. Asking our in Bedford, I only get "horror" stories about life and schools in Nashua...
We are certainly interested in sending our kids (1, 4) to good schools, but are also looking for the entire package to be right. Also, we'd like to support our future public school by getting involved whereever we can instead of sending the kids to private school.

Somebody recommended Nashua's North End to us - at first glance the houses all look very nice, but the streets/sidewalks etc. don't seem so well maintained after all. what other nice pockets are there?

Thanks! Claudia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,422 times
Seriously?

You live in Bedford, have two kids, want to send them to good schools and are considering moving to Nashua?

Don't take this the wrong way, but that would be a horrible mistake! If living closer to Mass is that crucial at least look at Hollis...think about the children!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
If you're open to a smaller town and want to be pretty close to Boston (albeit not as close as you would be in Nashua) I would definitely look at Hollis. It's on the MA border too, just further west which makes it a bit further to Boston. If you prefer the more suburban feel you can find in Nashua but want great schools, I would probably stay in Bedford. I have pretty consistently heard that the best schools in the Nashua area are in Hollis and the community is very involved with the schools and in other family-oriented activities.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Seriously?

You live in Bedford, have two kids, want to send them to good schools and are considering moving to Nashua?

Don't take this the wrong way, but that would be a horrible mistake! If living closer to Mass is that crucial at least look at Hollis...think about the children!!!!
Ok, what's so attractive about Bedford beyond the schools? There's nothing here, we spend hours driving from A to B. we're looking for a more community like place, maybe it's Hollis, we have to check it out. Beford doesn't even have a proper community center.
And by the way, we do care about our kids, hence me taking the liberty of posting my initial question. Thanks for future input!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks, we'll check out Hollis. What's it like commutewise, like going to Andover or Burlington? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
If you're open to a smaller town and want to be pretty close to Boston (albeit not as close as you would be in Nashua) I would definitely look at Hollis. It's on the MA border too, just further west which makes it a bit further to Boston. If you prefer the more suburban feel you can find in Nashua but want great schools, I would probably stay in Bedford. I have pretty consistently heard that the best schools in the Nashua area are in Hollis and the community is very involved with the schools and in other family-oriented activities.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
I think you'll like Hollis better (or possibly Amherst). Hollis is a smaller town, more rural but not country, right next to Milford and Nashua for easy shopping (but again, not right around the corner for traffic). and the school system is tops in the state.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
We like Hollis for the exact reasons you mention. Proximity to MA, great schools, cute town, and proximity to "stuff". Love it.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Ok, what's so attractive about Bedford beyond the schools? There's nothing here, we spend hours driving from A to B. we're looking for a more community like place, maybe it's Hollis, we have to check it out. Beford doesn't even have a proper community center.
And by the way, we do care about our kids, hence me taking the liberty of posting my initial question. Thanks for future input!
Sorry. My comment about the "children" was sarcastic. Just my humor I guess.

As far what's so attractive about Bedford? I guess everything is subjective, but objectively Bedford has one of the best school systems in the state, property values/resale values are high, crime is low, and it's close to 93 giving you easy access to shopping in Manchester, heading north to the mountains or south to Mass.

Nashua on the other hand has awful schools, a crime ridden inner city, tons of traffic on DW highway, punks from Lawrence hanging out at the mall. It does have a few good restaurants downtown and there probably are a few nice neighborhoods -- but if you're going to live in NH there so many nicer towns close to the border to choose from, including Hollis which borders Nashua.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM

While I'll agree hands down that Hollis/Amherst/Bedford are better towns than Nashua in regard to schools, crime, etc. Nashua is not a bad place to live at all. Their schools are "ok" (Bicentennial in Nashua is known to be one of the better lower-grade school districuts), there are many VERY nice areas while the bad area is very limited/not that awful, and a ton of shopping as well as some decent restaurants.

I'm not saying Nashua doesn't have issues, and more instances of crime than the other 3 MUCH smaller towns mentioned...but that's my point: Nashua is- a very small city. Bedford is very suburban, Amherst is less-so, and Hollis is even less-so.

Nashua is nothing like the more dangerous cities in MA; I think comparing them is very unfair.

I would also say that you need to explore Bedford/Amherst/Hollis more- many of these towns have a lot going on; its just harder to discover. Sure you need to head elsewhere (maybe) for the best restaurants/shopping- but its only a few minutes. Activity wise though (at least Hollis) has a TON going on.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Thanks, we'll check out Hollis. What's it like commutewise, like going to Andover or Burlington? Thanks!
I can make it to Exit 26 off 3 (Route 62 into Burlington) in 35 minutes from Hollis during morning/evening traffic on many days, 45 on most others...and seldom up to an hour (accident/bad weather, etc).

Andover should be even shorter (3 to 495/against traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire