Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 112,093 times

Advertisements

Valerie - Thank you. That's the concern ... we want to buy something and settle down so badly but the job hunt is making it difficult. There is a 50/50 shot that he will find a job working out of the house and just need to be reasonable distance to an airport which makes area's a little further north in NH very desirable. Unfortunately due to his line of work, we can't wait until he find a job to buy a house because his base pay is only a 1/3 of his income. Nevermind the lack of stability that having just started a new job shows.

What about North Shore areas of MA? Some of his co-workers are pushing him in that direction ... Amesbury, Newburyport? There seems to be a lot of afford homes in Amesbury right now.

I also found some great stuff in Newton, NH but he thinks that is too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times
It's interesting. People from Mass always think NH is so far away, but in reality the drive from Newburyport or Amesbury is barely shorter than from the towns along 95 in NH - with no traffic it's about 40 minutes to Boston from the border.

Newburyport is a beautiful but expensive town. Amesbury is more of an up and comer, but the downtown is being revitalized and there are a good assortment of local restaurants. Newton, NH is ok and certainly less expensive, but there are nicer towns in that general vicinity.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Hope you go on the MLS cause house prices in most of these better Mass towns are still through the roof. You can get new construction in Londonderry around 300k or so. The school systems in any low-end Mass towns bite.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Have you had a chance to check out Amesbury for yourself? It's really got an awful lot to offer... a nice mix of neighborhoods, great downtown, of course the river is right there, and Newburyport/Plum Island just a short drive, as is the beach (Salisbury Reservation is nice, though the main beach can be sort of trashy...) I spent much of last Saturday touring homes in Amesbury, there are a couple that stand out as being good values... Actually Amesbury & Newton share a border, 495 is pretty easy from Newton (backroads, NOT down 125 to Haverhill!)

How are you doing your searches? check out www.NNEREN.com for the most accurate and up to date listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMickey28 View Post
Valerie - Thank you. That's the concern ... we want to buy something and settle down so badly but the job hunt is making it difficult. There is a 50/50 shot that he will find a job working out of the house and just need to be reasonable distance to an airport which makes area's a little further north in NH very desirable. Unfortunately due to his line of work, we can't wait until he find a job to buy a house because his base pay is only a 1/3 of his income. Nevermind the lack of stability that having just started a new job shows.

What about North Shore areas of MA? Some of his co-workers are pushing him in that direction ... Amesbury, Newburyport? There seems to be a lot of afford homes in Amesbury right now.

I also found some great stuff in Newton, NH but he thinks that is too far.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
I disagree about Woburn schools being called JUNK as you referred to it.

I know many people who live in Woburn who graduated from Woburn schools and went to college. and got good educations. - Woburn is a decent community to live in.
I live in Winchester, next to Woburn, While yes, Winchester is a nicer school system. The schools in Woburn are Not JUNK.
People still get good education from Public Schools in the Boston suburbs.
I would disagree with you labeling non-private schools in Mass. as JUNK.

And Woburn does have Commuter Rail into Boston -
It is also close to route 3. and your commute would be a reverse commute for the most part up route 3 into NH.

You might hit some morning traffic after Nashua - into Manchester, but it would only be about 20 min anyway to Manchester after that point.

If you are really against living in MA I would say look into a border town like Dunstable MA

though you wouldn't have the commuter rail access to Boston

you'd be about halfway from Woburn and Manchester

and could drive to the N Billerica MBTA station or Lowell if you needed to get into Boston

Tyngsboro Might be another option

or Chelmsford

Not sure how the schools are in Chelmsford.

I would suggest living closer to Woburn because you wouldn't have to drive as far in the AM (when everyone would be coming to Boston)

and could have a reverse commute to Manchester
which wouldn't be too bad
opposite the heaviest traffic

-jeff--
Winchester, MA

Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

or Chelmsford

-jeff--
Winchester, MA
We checked out Chelmsford and its schools back when we were still looking at MA. It would've been a 30 minute commute to Manchester, so not bad, The schools there seemed to be pretty good, not bad. But the housing was much more than what we expected for what sounded like a "modest middle of the road" town. In the end it made more sense to spend about the same or less in NH for better schools. But that's because the job was in NH. If your Dh's job is going to stay in MA you may have different considerations. Coming from SoCal, I'll just say that the length and speed of your commute can have a great effect on qualify of life.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
I disagree about Woburn schools being called JUNK as you referred to it.

I know many people who live in Woburn who graduated from Woburn schools and went to college. and got good educations. - Woburn is a decent community to live in.
I live in Winchester, next to Woburn, While yes, Winchester is a nicer school system. The schools in Woburn are Not JUNK.
People still get good education from Public Schools in the Boston suburbs.
I would disagree with you labeling non-private schools in Mass. as JUNK.

And Woburn does have Commuter Rail into Boston -
It is also close to route 3. and your commute would be a reverse commute for the most part up route 3 into NH.

You might hit some morning traffic after Nashua - into Manchester, but it would only be about 20 min anyway to Manchester after that point.

If you are really against living in MA I would say look into a border town like Dunstable MA

though you wouldn't have the commuter rail access to Boston

you'd be about halfway from Woburn and Manchester

and could drive to the N Billerica MBTA station or Lowell if you needed to get into Boston

or Chelmsford

I would suggest living closer to Woburn because you wouldn't have to drive as far in the AM (when everyone would be coming to Boston)

and could have a reverse commute to Manchester
which wouldn't be too bad
opposite the heaviest traffic

-jeff--
Winchester, MA
I will be less colorful so as not to offend your Massachusetts sensibilities. Woburn schools rank low on any objective measure of educational attainment. They are third rate. I would never put a child in that school system. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM

105 posts, read 208,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Woburn schools rank low on any objective measure of educational attainment. They are third rate.
Any link to the data proving that? Or is that just an opinion as well?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I don't know about 3rd rate, but they certainly aren't stellar. Woburn Public Schools 2008 MCAS Results - The Boston Globe - Boston.com

There are numerous school statistics on the City-Data home page if someone is interested in a particular city or town's school system.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Interesting stats. Winchester's high school is in the top 10% in 10th grade math, science, and english. Woburn High is not even in the top 50% in any of those. What a difference a few miles can make...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire