Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times

Advertisements

I moved from Derry 6 years ago after living there 22 years. I loved the town but could not afford the property taxes. My son is deaf - was assigned and IEP and got a wonderful education. My other children also did well, but there is no place for exceptional learners.

I had my share of problems with Pinkerton and my youngest child transferred into Manchester as an alternative. Pinkerton is a private school and they can make their own rules - sometimes they are not fair. BECAUSE my son was deaf, he had a better support system in the lower grades than he did in high school. He had trouble with English classes (of all things) and went to summer school all 4 years - it was rough on him because he could not attend summer camps and other social programs. Also, he was not allowed to participate in class trips or dances, or sports because he failed English. That is not a good atmosphere for any student, never mind one with special needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 9,248 times
Anyone have any views on the outskirts of Derry towards Hampstead? There seems to be some decent duplexes that are in a more country area of the town. My wife and I are looking to move to Derry soon and would prefer this type of setting as opposed to the downtown area. Just wondered what type of environment it is? Families? students? Scrap car collecting welfare experts?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPH_UK View Post
Anyone have any views on the outskirts of Derry towards Hampstead? There seems to be some decent duplexes that are in a more country area of the town. My wife and I are looking to move to Derry soon and would prefer this type of setting as opposed to the downtown area. Just wondered what type of environment it is? Families? students? Scrap car collecting welfare experts?
Hampstead has slightly more reasonable tax rates. Derry taxes are literally through the roof for what you get overall.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-23-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Note that the taxes you pay to the town are the taxes you do not pay to the State. Derry is a fine small city.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Note that the taxes you pay to the town are the taxes you do not pay to the State. Derry is a fine small city.
That is true, but I think most people would find property taxes of $6000-$7000 on small houses to be just a little expensive...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true, but I think most people would find property taxes of $6000-$7000 on small houses to be just a little expensive...
We would be renting for the first year back in order to get to know the area and surrounding towns, so tax isn't an issue right now.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPH_UK View Post
We would be renting for the first year back in order to get to know the area and surrounding towns, so tax isn't an issue right now.
Ya, that would likely be a good idea for the first year.

Here is the site that lists tax rates by town:
2011 Property Tax Rates & Related Data | Municipal Services Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
it's not just the tax rates that are out of sight....the house assessments in the southern tier are valued at twice as much as the northern tier, if not more

a split ranch on 1 acre in Derry may cost $10K in taxes, but the same home on the same size lot up north will be less than 1/2 that rate.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, that would likely be a good idea for the first year.

Here is the site that lists tax rates by town:
2011 Property Tax Rates & Related Data | Municipal Services Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration
Thanks for the link, it will be helpful once we are looking to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire