Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,970,913 times

Advertisements

I do not want to discourage any potential farmers but: New Hampshire is also famous for its inorganic farming. Because we were completely covered by glaciers during the last big ice age the soils are well mixed with a substantial amount of rocks. The winter ice cycles move the rocks to the surface every year so keeping the soil rock free is a major task. This is why we have so many old stone walls around our abandoned farm fields. They had to put the rock some where as close as possible to where they found it. The upland and hill side soils are much more prone to this rock farming than the deep valley soils along the Connecticut River and the lower Merrimack.

The New Hampshire Agricultural Extension Service in Durham should be able to provide you with most of the information you would need to actually farm in New Hampshire. I suggest you pay as much or more attention to the soil than to the market even though both are necessary.

FWIW – I started a very small garden behind my hilltop condo. When I first broke up the existing soil I had to use a pick ax. This soil is called extremely rocky upland till consisting of very fine silt and fist sized rocks with very little sand and no organic material. I dug this stuff 18” deep and mixed in about 20% compost from the Maine fishing and blueberry industry as well as a fair amount of triple fertilizer. Now, about ten years later I have a patch of excellent soil for my flowers. Last year my tomatoes, peppers and squash were devoured by a virulent fungus so I have only planted bee friendly shrubs and flowers this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 204,140 times
Default Excellent information here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
. The winter ice cycles move the rocks to the surface every year so keeping the soil rock free is a major task. This is why we have so many old stone walls around our abandoned farm fields. They had to put the rock some where as close as possible to where they found it. The upland and hill side soils are much more prone to this rock farming than the deep valley soils along the Connecticut River and the lower Merrimack.
WOW! That was one of the most informative, helpful posts I have read! That def. is information that makes a huge difference in decision-making that isn't readily available! You see these walls all the time but not knowing the science behind (under) them you just think "how pretty" they look... not "how much work to prepare the land...."
I also appreciate the poster mentioning Keene area having more fertile soil and like-minded folks? sounds interesting -but weather there needs to be researched I am thinking...

Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,970,913 times
I suggest you purchase a DeLorme computerized topographic map data base for detailed topographic information about the state. Definitely get a DeLorme Atlas. The first will complement the latter. Call the NH AG extension service. Once you have selected a couple of places call the towns and talk with the local selectmen and/or town engineer.

I really recommend you drive up to Lisbon, NH and head east up the hill into Landaff. The land is more suited to grazing than crop farming. My sister in law and hubbby has retired there and absolutely love it. They have a neighbor that is raising alpacas (maybe Llamas) anyway fur bearing camel like critters and surviving at it. BTW these folks live off the grid using wood heat and solar electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire