Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM

680 posts, read 2,444,504 times

Advertisements

I don't know if McDonalds still does this, but years ago McDonald offerred something known as a McLobster. Something is pretty desriptive, avoid anything called a McLobster at all costs.[/quote]

Yes! I had one in Maine and it was disgusting. I threw it out after one bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,720,108 times
u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Really?? We're the only ones with split-top buns?? Never knew that, but when we moved to the midwest, we never had reason to buy hot dog buns... There were NO Essem Hot Dogs (the only hot dogs worth eating, as far as we are concerned) and certainly no lobster to prepare lobster rolls. I always thought that the both styles were available everywhere (who knew!!)

For those who may not be in the know, "the way" to grill a hot dog bun for a lobster roll is to butter on both sides, and cook till lightly golden brown in your black cast iron skillet.

Chunks of lobster meat, tossed with a bit of mayonaise and a couple drops of fresh lemon juice are all you need. Maybe a sprinkle of salt-n-pepper. If you want to add some crunch, dice a bit of celery up VERY VERY small, and sprinkle on top of the prepared lobster roll. Shake a bit of paprika over the top, and there, a perfect lobster roll

Fried lobster, hmmmm have never tried it and while it sounds perfectly disgusting right now, if it were in front of me I might have to give it a try After all, we eat fried clams, fried scallops, etc....
yes a hot dog bun does work well, and also, doing the meat, in the foil, if one wants it warm
with just lemon, or butter, to dip, and skip the bun! I like crap meat also!
But that also is costly, and not with all the fillers! you can do the bun as you did say, then add the lobster, cold or warm! Or the Crab meat also! I am from New England, and hot dog buns, done with the grill, and the meat is what they did use in Boston, and then it was served, it the holder as the hotdog? I do
think you had some coleslaw, and fries on the side of the plate, that was the lobster roll in Boston! price was around 8.00 or ten dollars! maybe 30.00 plus minus or plus to buy at a fish store the lobster for one lb. Then you may do it the buy and do cook way!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-27-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 AM

909 posts, read 3,369,107 times
I didn't know there was a special kind of roll either. Then I saw these split weiner rolls, or hot dog rolls at the Hannaford. They look just like the ones I had at a seafood diner when I had scallop rolls.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 PM

586 posts, read 1,508,595 times
Reviving the thread because I had my first lobster roll of the season yesterday in Kittery at Bob's clam hut. :-)

There's a little place in Boston's North End that has the hot lobster roll -- Neptune Oyster. I like the cold ones better, but if you like the hot ones, chowhound gives this place a thumbs up. I find them a little too rich, personally.

Best lobster roll I have *ever* had was -- repeatedly -- at the Friendly Fisherman in Eastham on Cape Cod. Oh my GOD - heaven in a bun. Huge, and worth every single penny of the $16.95.

Where are your favorite lobster and clam roll places in NH?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM

758 posts, read 2,892,958 times
Petey's, Browns, or the Beach Plum!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 PM

625 posts, read 2,438,455 times
The only CORRECT lobstah roll:

Filling: Lobster meat and Cain's mayo, and just enough to hold the lobster together. Put ANYTHING else in, and risk being beaten with hammers.

Bun: Roll or hot dog bun, buttered on sides and grilled.

Repeat as necessary. That is all.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,551,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
The only CORRECT lobstah roll:

Filling: Lobster meat and Cain's mayo, and just enough to hold the lobster together. Put ANYTHING else in, and risk being beaten with hammers.

Bun: Roll or hot dog bun, buttered on sides and grilled.

Repeat as necessary. That is all.
Ditto on the grilled roll, but please no Cain's to pollute my precious lobster meat, give me Hellmanns, give me the best.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:53 PM

625 posts, read 2,438,455 times
Oh, I suppose Hellman's is acceptable...

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

56 posts, read 125,454 times
Wow. I can see this transition is going to be full of unexpected pleasures. I've never heard of a lobster roll before this moment. Sounds wonderful!

On the flip side -- I bet I'll have trouble finding good jambalaya, eh? LOL!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,184,094 times
Default split top buns

I personally don't enjoy lobster rolls. Lobster is kind of a rich shell fish for me, I can only take so much before I get queasy. If the heaviness and nausea didn't bother me, I'd stuff that nom nom goodness with eyes shut and huge grin!

My parents used to live up here, and I lived in Texas for years. We've reversed roles completely now its opposite.

They would buy the split top hot dog buns in bulk, freeze them, and bring them down to Texas to me and my sister!

In exchange, I would have cases of Wolf Brand Chili for mom. A Texas staple in the pantry for those hidden away southerners for those long cold "yankee" winter times!

Later mom and I would get fancy and she would lessen the unique hot dog buns with a jar of marshmallow Fluff. FLUFF brand, with the recipe for fudge on the back. The fluff you get in Texas at that time was more runny than fluffy.

The split top buns are heaven. Not as much over cooked crust, and there is more soft bread to enjoy with your filler. Nom nom now I'm super hungry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire