Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,731,654 times

Advertisements

Don't let NY know I shop in NH a few times a year! I'm sure they'd like to have some troll sitting on I90 waiting to collect the sales tax they lost.

How on earth does MA plan on getting NH to collect a tax for them? That's the stupidest thing I've heard today!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM

369 posts, read 967,568 times
NH shot this down a month or so ago.

(Oh how I wish that was literal and not a figurative reference.)

Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,076,988 times
Excellent!! I'm very glad there's still some sense in Concord: not collecting taxes for Mass, not removing adult choice on seatbelts and helmets... good for them.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
AFIAC - If you live in a state you have access to the resources of that state you SHOULD PAY THE TAXES IN THAT STATE! If you do not like the state tax code then work to get the taxes changed or move to another place. Otherwise pay what you owe.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM

4,643 posts, read 14,003,614 times
So let me get this right... you feel that the burden should be placed on New Hampshire businesses, small and large, to be responsible for determining who owes a state sales tax, collecting that sales tax, accounting for that sales tax, and then sending it to the state that it is "owed"? Should this be the law of the land in just the border towns? All over the state? The country? Should this be applicable only to purchases, or to services as well? Should every convenience store clerk ID everyone who walks through the door, look up the tax code for that particular state and those particular items that the consumer is purchasing? WHO pays for all of this? Do small business owners get to charge the state for their extra costs in hourly wages, book-keeping /accounting, bank charges, etc. This is a real slippery slope... and a huge difference from the cheats that live in Mass and register their cars in NH. Growing up in a border (MA) city, I saw it all the time and it ticked me off even back then.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,190,565 times
If we tax Mass + other states for NH sales and services....that defeats the point of their business up here, well the huge traffic I run into at the Belknap mall and Tanger outlets in Tilton.

Then they'll stop coming up here to shop, the locals already are paying higher prices on everything (did anyone see the gas pumps this weekend?) so NH businesses will not have influx of sales...and NH becomes that western movie with tumbleweeds and lonely whistle in the background you hear.

That's not good either, don't we thrive on our tourism up here and mass shoppers?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM

148 posts, read 390,771 times
GregW that is just crazy. So if I live in any State that maybe has a 6% sales tax and I go shopping in another State that has 5% tax does that mean that my State should get the 1% difference. If what Mass is proposing were to go through then all States around our country could chase after people who buy anything in another state if the tax is less. Talk about a booking nightmare and a police state!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
This confusion created by sales taxes is just one of the reasons I oppose all sales taxes. Another is the steeply regressive nature of sales taxes.

Tax dodging by shopping in a low or no sales tax state is a dodge as old as sales taxes. Until the credit card age the states with sales taxes could only collect them on registered items such as cars. With credit card data available they can use the card companies to collect the taxes. This is because the individual taxpayer, based on their residence, is liable for the tax, not the store where they made the purchase. So if you live in MA AND ME AND WANT TO SAVE THE SALES TAX, BUY STUFF IN NH AND PAY CASH.

Remember you are cheating on your taxes as you do so.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM

148 posts, read 390,771 times
So GregW if I go on a vacation driving around this great Country of ours and every State I stop in and should maybe buy anything from groceries to maybe a shirt I need to keep track of my purchases to make sure this State tax isn't different from my home State tax because then I would owe my State tax if it is less. I guess if the State I purchased the item from has a higher tax then my home State tax I should file against that State to get the difference back bacause my home State charges less. Talk about an absolute crazy nightmare Maybe we should just get Visa's to visit another State so then we would know just where everyone is at all times and what they buy or where they travel.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,108,643 times
If i lived near nevada or oregon i would mainly do all my shopping their to avoid calif state sales tax (8.75% but often rounded out to 9%) That includes gas as well. Mass deficit is peanuts compared to ca but we both have greedy govenors & legislature. Politicians are like diapers....They are all full of sh**.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire