Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,161,122 times

Advertisements

the least amount that the view tax adds to your property is another $90K in value - that's a hefty chunk for something you don't own

although only 50% of the state's towns have been assessed with the view tax, Gary Roberge has promised that he will have the entire state covered within 5 years.

so if you have a view, you can depend on being hit with the view tax unless it gets repealed

it is highly unfair and the view taxes assessed are not comparable to fair market value - a dump is still a dump even when it has a view. To be taxed on potential (if the dumpy house is razed and a new house built) is unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,867,317 times
Being located in an area that has a lot of sun could be viewed as raising the value of a home. How about a "sun tax"?

Being located near conservation land where wild flowers grow adds value due to the aroma. A "smell tax".

Being located in a section of town with convenient access to the highway (but not being too close) adds value. A "transportation proximity tax".

The possibilities are (unfortunately) endless...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM

148 posts, read 390,285 times
I know in some States that property taxes can only go up a certain percentage in one year. Do they have that anywhere in NH. This View Tax is crazy. Like others have said we could end up with a Tree Tax, Sun Tax, etc. Where does it stop.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,867,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
I know in some States that property taxes can only go up a certain percentage in one year. Do they have that anywhere in NH. This View Tax is crazy. Like others have said we could end up with a Tree Tax, Sun Tax, etc. Where does it stop.
A tree tax! I guess the trees do provide shade which is a good thing. Then again, there are issues with leaves falling, pollen, etc. I wonder if it would cause higher taxes or lower taxes to have trees on one's property. I am sure the state could appoint an "Arbor Inspector" to check on everyone's trees.....

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM

we already have a tree tax to some extent....it's called a timber tax.

trees (lumber) are considered real estate assets

Timber on all land ownerships is taxable at 10% of the stumpage value at the time of cutting.

www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/documents/timbersynopsis.doc

the first 20 cords are free, but after that every tree is taxed...

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,108,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswrede View Post
I have been reading posts about the view tax. Sounds a bit screwy to me. Can anyone tell me how I would find out if a property I am looking to buy is subject to a view tax? We will be moving up to NH from TX and I am a bit concerned. I don't want to be blindsided later with this tax.

Thanks!
There is not a view tax, people get hung up on this. I live on top of a hill . I look out towards 3 large named mountains the pemi river close up hills have incredible sunsets and about 180 degrees of far off horizon on 5 acres of land. the person across the street also on 5 acres is facing the complete opposite way their lot is looking at 1 close up hill which keeps them in shadows all day. if we both built the exact same house I would bet my house would sell for about $100,000 more than his so when an assessor is trying to determine a market value, they'll see the same house in the same neighborhood, on similar sized lots, would it be fair to charge us both the same??? so to "justify" a higher market value they use the view factor. It is not exact science, it is subjective, but no two houses are identical and not built with the same quality of materials, and there is the abatement process if they get it wrong. everybody would like to pay as little as possible in property taxes and if you don't have a view you should be thinking " why have these people that have premium lots been paying the same taxes as people without views for all these years.. it is a shock for people who haven't been paying their true market values then brought up to par very quickly but fair is fair.. the only tax on property is market value anything else is illegal. If what the assessors are using to determine market value doesn't work than that is a problem. At any time you can look through properties that have sold and find ones that are comparable to yours and if your assessment is off use those sales to justify your position and chances are you will win. if there is an assessor out there that is determining true market value and then adding a tax on top of that tell your selectmen to stop using them.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM

At any time you can look through properties that have sold and find ones that are comparable to yours and if your assessment is off use those sales to justify your position and chances are you will win. if there is an assessor out there that is determining true market value and then adding a tax on top of that tell your selectmen to stop using them.

every case that has made it to court has had the taxes lowered and the view tax removed - EVERY case is in appeal and in the meantime the assessed taxes MUST BE PAID.

there is only one company, Avatar, doing the view tax assessments. Telling the selectman not to use them is not an option.

It's an unfair tax and everyone should be writing to their representatives to remove it.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,108,652 times
there is only one company, Avatar, doing the view tax assessments. Telling the selectman not to use them is not an option.

So are you saying the state has hired this company to apply these assessments? or are the individual towns

Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,940,069 times
The view tax is the state’s gift to the real estate lobby. Realtors’ fees are based on selling price and the number of properties they sell. By applying the "value" of the view the property the selling price is increased along with the commission and the elderly "property poor" are forced to put their property on the market thus increasing the volume of the overall realty business.

As usual, just follow the money and see who gets and who gives and their relative political power. Our legislature has a fairly high proportion of realtors. I think they outnumber the lawyers. That does not leave room for many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire