Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,687 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I thought I saw threads on this last summer but I can't find them now!

We're thinking about renting a beach house this summer with another family in late August. Waterfront or 1/4-1/2 mile from the beach is ideal. We've always gone to Cape Cod but we're considering the Seacoast or Southern Maine.

The kids are aged 5-10, but we tend to stay away from boardwalks with carnival-style amusements -- I know one of the NH beach towns is known for that (Hampton Beach?) but I can't remember which.

We'd rather hang out at the beach, bike ride, hike/walk, with the occasional mini-golf or trampolines thrown in. Presence/absence of things like mini-golf not critical, by the way -- I just meant it in contrast to something like Ocean City NJ or Hyannis MA, which are not our style.

Where would you go?

Thanks! Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,725 times
Default renting beach house

Hello Jackie,

Yes, Hampton beach is known for it's carnival like atmosphere though it's nothing like it used to be. For a quieter stay I can recommend Rye or the north section of Hampton beach away from the amusements there are a couple of mini golf courses along route 1 a mile away from the beach. there is also Plum island just over the border in Massachusetts. It is near historic Newburyport , Though almost everything in Massachusetts is subject to sales tax.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport (Maine) is our absolute favorite. It's absolutely beautiful and during low tide there are lots and lots of pools to explore as well as walking out to the rocks. No carnival atmosphere in sight, but if you feel the need to can go up to Old Orchard which is about 1/2 hour away. Lots of families at GRB, so your kids will be able to find "friends" to play with on the beach.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,453,005 times
I considered the ME coast for a summer getaway until hearing about the biting green head flies. It was part of that old thread - so I read more about them - and how it was common knowledge that they swarmed the beaches i was considering so I changed my location. You may just want to check on whether the shore area of your choice is plagued by green head flies, but if you would be staying a bit off shore it may not be such a problem.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,881 times
NH has traps in place in the salt marshes to cover the greenheads. I've never actually seen one on the coast (and I can see the ocean from my bedroom). Plum Island is a different story though .

You are correct in the Hampton beach carnivalish setting but the section of beach north of Boar's head in Hampton is quite different. The beach is basically only there at low tide and there is a large seawall in place.

Aside from that the areas in North Hampton and Rye are pretty similar, and gorgeous.....rocky coastline interspersed with sandy beaches. They can be quite crowded in summer.

One thing to consider though about the beaches north of the cape...the water is much colder and not great for swimming.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,174,683 times
Yeah, keep in mind that the ocean water in NH / southern ME will be around 60 degrees in late August -- compared to about 70 degrees at the Cape.

If you want warm water but a change from the Cape, maybe Rhode Island?

Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,687 times
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. We're looking into several places you all mentioned, plus our usual haunts on the Cape -- we might even do a week at each place -- prices are far lower than last year for rentals from what I can see.

Lisa, good call on the horseflies - from what I remember, anywhere that has salt marshes (that doesn't control them as mentioned above) risks them from about mid-July-early August.

Jackie

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM

117 posts, read 425,206 times
From what I understand, they migrate up the coast and *usually* are in the same areas at the same times each year. Ipswich Mass is about the second week in July. That means there you are safer in August. It may mean that in Maine, you are looking at July being better. Best to ask a local though.

The severity of the greenhead fly goes with the season and lots of other factors though.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 AM

257 posts, read 619,588 times
I live in Seabrook, which is spared some of the excesses of summer traffic (easy access to I-95). You might consider renting a house on 286, or thereabouts. The reason being that there are plenty of places that are walking distance to the ocean, while staying right on the border with Mass. That gives you the best of both worlds, and you never have to suffer from the crazy traffic around Hampton Beach and north. If you're planning on coming up this summer, I would try to reserve something right now, though.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
Rye beach is fantastic. Ocean Park in Maine is nice as well. More developed. You can walk into Old Orchard Beach to all the amusements and arcades...
We go to Dennis on the cape every year, north side, Mayflower Beach. It is great...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire