Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
so you're the one that's been dumping those mice in my yard
Nah, I wouldn't do that, I let them loose on the town soccer fields. Okay, I admit I did let few go at my husband's country club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 AM

369 posts, read 964,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
<snip> I'd pick up the whole trap (it has a handle), put it in a bag, and then drive a couple of miles to some nearby fields and let it go. <snip>.
In the Commonwealth of Massachuestts you are comitting a felony when you do this. This is an arrestable offense with time in jail as a penalty as it falls under "Relocating Wildlife".

Yes, really.

Posessing any animinal trap (other than common rat traps) in Massachusetts without a valid trapping license is also a felony.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Yes, I know.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM

223 posts, read 540,208 times
we have a 'regular' house and the cats have found maybe 4-5 mice in the kitchen, etc. this year. (and in past years). Just a fact of life here in NH

paul

Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM

53 posts, read 130,635 times
I wouldn't worry about it, but I would trap them.

They used to skeeve me out, too, but I'm completely unbothered by them now.

I agree with avoiding D-con if you have kids and/or animals.

The standard wood/metal snap traps snap really HARD, and can break little fingers. I prefer to use the snap traps like these, which don't hurt young, curious fingers as much, and are emptied by squeezing, so you don't ever come in contact with the mouse:

Amazon.com: Intruder Better Mouse Trap 6 Pack: Everything Else

Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
This is good advice, thanks. I still plan to freak if I find any snakes in the basement, but I feel good about having some tips on catching the mice. I think I see another cat in our future, too....

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
OMG. If we have snakes, I'm moving!

The thing is, I'm scared to put out traps or poison because I'm afraid the cat will eat it or get caught in it. Are any of them safe for cats and kids?

Hubby says sealing the basement is not an option
Snakes are wonderful rodent killers and I doubt you have any poisonous ones in NH. They are harmless in every respect.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
nh2008, please remember that while snakes are scary to look at, they are really very good to have around (well ok, you don't want them in the house, but they WILL keep the mouse population down). First of all, they don't carry disease, but mice DO carry plenty of things that you DON'T want in your house. First of all, mouse poop... gross. They also are the first part of the life cycle for Lyme Disease. (ticks become infected because of taking their first blood meal from a mouse!) and they also carry FLEAS, any of which can and will get on your CAT (an indoor cat, I presume?) and let me tell you from experience, a flea infestation in your house is costly and a gigantic PIA, not to mention chemicals that you probably don't want around your kids and pet. Now see, snakes don't look so bad after all, do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
This is good advice, thanks. I still plan to freak if I find any snakes in the basement, but I feel good about having some tips on catching the mice. I think I see another cat in our future, too....

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
I know snakes have their part in our ecosystem just like spiders. They are welcome to use my yard (though I hope out of my sight) and I consider that a safe zone for them. But if they come in my house, the gauntlet has been thrown!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I put in the Black and Decker ultrasonic plug-ins. It significantly cut down on activity. They can get in through very small spaces as small as a small coin. I use glue traps only in areas that the dogs can't get into such as in a small closet that houses my plumbing and water heater. I check them regularly. The mice will sometimes squeeze up along the side of some the pipes that come through the floor from the slab into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire