Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM

680 posts, read 2,448,161 times

Advertisements

Our cat just caught his second mouse this month in our kitchen. I did see evidence of mice in the garage during the inspection this fall, but it was all cleaned up when we moved in and I never saw a mouse all winter.

Our antique foundation is fieldstone so basically wide open. If mice can squeeze through a pinhole, they can definitely prance all over our basement and up into our house. We have little kids, so there are plenty of crumbs around no matter how much I clean up. And although we do have a cat (who let both mice go - grr) that means we also have a bowl of cat food sitting out 24/7.

I spoke with our pediatrician about it and she said mice are basically a fact of life here and harmless, (is this true?) but I am totally grossed out anyway. Any tips? Would having a mason seal the basement walls help? Would it be a total waste of money to have an exterminator come out or set traps when the basement is basically wide open?

Is there anything else I can or should do? I just feel that if I've seen two (maybe the same one since the idiot cat keeps letting them go) there may be legions multiplying at this very second. And why are they appearing now when it's finally warm enough for them to go outside?

Ick, help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,799,817 times
Put some D-Con around, and some D-Con traps. D-Con works really well, and it will help you get an idea of how much activity is going on in the house. You should seal the basement as best you can because otherwie they will kepp coming in. I wish you luck

Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 AM

369 posts, read 967,003 times
With D-Con, you'll soon have little dead mice in the spaces between walls, the ceiling or wherever their little feet take them before they die. The cat could find & eat one.

I'd suggest using snap traps. They are quick, humane and easy to use. Bait them with peanut butter.

I wouldn't use glue traps. Now I'm not gonna say this to try and upset you but if you have mice, you should also have snakes, the snakes are eating the mice. Snakes are good because they eat mice. Put out glue trap and you'll catch (and kill) the snakes, resulting in more mice.

My last house had one of these wide open fieldstone foundations, so I've been there and done that.
Best of luck to ya.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 AM

OMG. If we have snakes, I'm moving!

The thing is, I'm scared to put out traps or poison because I'm afraid the cat will eat it or get caught in it. Are any of them safe for cats and kids?

Hubby says sealing the basement is not an option

Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,081,147 times
There are electrical traps that disable when the lid is opened. Likewise you can actually get really small "live catch" traps that will work for nice.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 AM

Is this something I could buy at Lowe's? Also, what would I do with a live mouse? Is this a situation where trapping individual mice will even help, or are there likely to be thousands already?!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,964,742 times
Stop feeding the cat for a few days. Then the mice will stop being live fire exercises. Otherwise set snap traps inside a box the cat cannot get into. Empty Kleenex boxes make good trap shelters. Never use poison because the mice die and rot in the most incontinent places and the remaining poison could injure or kill your or the neighbor’s cat.

Or simply realize that mice are part of your local ecosystem and hope you never get rats in the house.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,799,817 times
D-Con puts out a trap that snaps shut so you don't have to see them. Here's an old-time way that would work in your basement: put a large, deep tub of water out filled about half way up. Put a thin, round stick like a broom on the tub from one end to the other and cover it in peanut butter. The mice will climb on the stick and fall of into the water and drown.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,166,647 times
are there livestock nearby?
- I've noticed that if cows or horses are living nearby, the mouse population flourishes

maybe adding another cat will help

I agree with the others about D-Con - it works, but will also kill your cat if he catches a mouse that has eaten the poison - also a dead mouse in the walls will stink for the summer as it decomposes

live traps can be purchased at any hardware store and they DO work.

good luck

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM

148 posts, read 390,510 times
They make little live traps that you can bait with peanut butter. When the mouse goes inside to get the bait the trap tilts forward and closes trapping the mouse. I got mine at a farm supply store. Then you just have to drop the trap in a bucket of water to kill the mouse. Also I agree you need to stop feeding the cat so much. Not 24/7. Snakes are good. Really..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire