Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM

210 posts, read 501,060 times

Advertisements

We live in San Diego and would like to change it for a smaller town with four seasons. We grew up in countries with four seasons, and gladly would change our TREK bikes to ski during winter months.

We are looking for living closer to nature. Proximity of Boston is a big plus, but being away from it is nice. My favorite season is fall, and I have been always living on the wrong side of the United States (except few years when I was in McGill, Canada). We have been looking for a long time from AK, WA, ME, MN to NH. We were ready to move, but transfers will not happen this year. It gives us one more year to find the location we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:39 PM

223 posts, read 542,318 times
I have relatives coming in from San Diego in a few hours....

NH gets cheaper as you go north.....

South of Manchester, and along the coast (and big lakes) is the $$$ part of the state.

paul - Pittsfield

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,222,540 times
Nashua is def better than scam diego

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,886,828 times
I live in SD and am actually thinking about retiring (in a few years) to So. NH, because I love NE and like being close to Boston, and for tax advantages. As everyone has said, it is like comparing two different worlds in many ways. I was raised in Western NY so I'm familiar with cold and snow.

SD is very expensive, 155k is fine, you can live pretty well, but 400k for a house isn't alot here at all. You won't get very much for that price range in a desirable area with better schools. Mostly when we speak of SD we mean SD County, not SD the city. The county is huge and can range from beaches to mountains to cowboy country to desert.

Gas, car insurance, taxes (the highest taxed state in the country and still going up), etc. have to be factored in. Quite honestly, I wouldn't raise kids here. But of course, everybody has different priorities, weather is big factor to some.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM

210 posts, read 501,060 times
Yes, I agree. San Diego is not nice to raise kids. We have been in CA too long, and it is getting worse. We can afford more expensive home in NH, but we do not want to pay left and right for that. We would look no more than 1,900-2,000 sq f, 3 bedroom. We do not need more, but it would be better to have at least acre or two.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,886,828 times
Yes personally, I'd rather have a larger yard or some land than a huge house.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM

23 posts, read 45,339 times
I live in Insane Diego and can't wait to move to our property in Littleton. The houses are cramped together, the freeways are crazy, people are so rude, they all want to be to be ahead of you on the road. When I went to Littleton in April I was so shocked to see how polite the few people were on the road. There are malls everywhere. Property is expensive. Weather is boring, it's either a hot 70 or a cold 70 Enough said for now.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,083,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
Yes, I agree. San Diego is not nice to raise kids. We have been in CA too long, and it is getting worse. We can afford more expensive home in NH, but we do not want to pay left and right for that. We would look no more than 1,900-2,000 sq f, 3 bedroom. We do not need more, but it would be better to have at least acre or two.
You would do well here, and I suggest Hollis or Amherst based on your statements so far. We LOVE Hollis.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,872,877 times
You can check out what is on the market here: Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS
What is your price range?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,021 times
In comparisons like this I feel that a city such as San Diego offers an initial "wow" factor because it's a stunning city with a lot of attractions. However, in the experience of day-to-day life, Nashua would probably be much more pleasant with lower crime, far less expensive, cleaner, and quieter than any large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire