Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM

210 posts, read 499,723 times

Advertisements

Which place is cheaper to live with two kids, two dogs, a bird, and a good mt. bike? Budget is around $155K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,072,269 times
$155k for a home or $155k/year? Both areas are high cost of living (compared to say, parts of Alabama); although San Diego is even MUCH more expensive than Nashua.

Overall I'd say $155k for a home would be a huge challenge in either location.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM

210 posts, read 499,723 times
I meant salary $155K /year. I would look for a home around $400K

Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,072,269 times
Oh, ok. In that case you'll be fine in Nashua and will be able to get a very nice home for $400k. In fact since you have 2 children and an obvious passion for animals/the outdoors...I'd checkout Hollis as well. It's right next door to Nashua and has some of the best schools in the state, with neighboring Amherst to the north they are considered some of the two most desirable towns in the state as well (both also in your price range).

San Diego is A LOT more expensive but it is also a MUCH larger city, on the water, with constantly nice weather. Honestly- they aren't really that comparable; completely different environment. NH has all four seasons, lots of snow, a gorgeous fall; and San Diego largely has summer year round. Likewise San Diego is on the scale of 10x larger (or even more) than Nashua.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM

105 posts, read 209,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Oh, ok. In that case you'll be fine in Nashua and will be able to get a very nice home for $400k. In fact since you have 2 children and an obvious passion for animals/the outdoors...I'd checkout Hollis as well. It's right next door to Nashua and has some of the best schools in the state, with neighboring Amherst to the north they are considered some of the two most desirable towns in the state as well (both also in your price range).

San Diego is A LOT more expensive but it is also a MUCH larger city, on the water, with constantly nice weather. Honestly- they aren't really that comparable; completely different environment. NH has all four seasons, lots of snow, a gorgeous fall; and San Diego largely has summer year round. Likewise San Diego is on the scale of 10x larger (or even more) than Nashua.
As BF said, you'd be able to live comfortably in either place on that salary, provided you don't live beyond your means. Housing is more expensive in SD, but most other things are comparably priced. Good, cheap food is undoubtedly more available in SD.

I'm from Nashua and lived in SD for awhile a number of years ago--and have spent time off and on there since. More important than money is the fact that the two places are about as opposite in every way as you can get in the US--so much so as to be almost incomparable. If that's what you're looking for then, great! Otherwise, you may be in for a bit of (or maybe tremendous) culture shock.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
About the only thing shared by San Diego and Nashua is they are in the same country.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:09 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,219,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
About the only thing shared by San Diego and Nashua is they are in the same country.
+1 I lived in San Diego for almost 4 years. It was more expensive in the late 90's than Nashua is now.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,859,788 times
To me, Nashua is the better area to live in, but San Diego is better for vacations. NH is a better place to raise a family.
As for the mountain bike, you'll find a lot of single track trails in NH, both locally and up north. Mines Falls is in Nashua. If you go up north, the white mountain national forest near Bartlett has some fantastic trails...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,456,623 times
SD is way more expensive than Nashua, but Nashua does not offer all that you are used to having in SD, commercially speaking. There is vastly different weather bet. SD & Nashua - as in, Nashua gets real weather, including snow covered new england winters - there are wonderful trails in and around Nashua and all over NH, but you'd have to trade the mtn bike for skiis part of the year. I would not consider raising a family in SD.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,859,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
but Nashua does not offer all that you are used to having in SD, commercially speaking.
If you live in so. NH, you are usually an hour or so from Boston which has a lot of advantages over SD in its own: museums, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire