Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,346 times

Advertisements

Governor Says He Will Sign Same-Sex Marriage Into Law - Politics News Story - WMUR Manchester

Governor Lynch has stated he will sign the bill tonight. It passed the house today by about 20 votes.

Remember this next year when these people are up for reelection. They can't keep our taxes in line, but they can outlaw smoking in bars and pass gay marriage.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Governor Says He Will Sign Same-Sex Marriage Into Law - Politics News Story - WMUR Manchester

Governor Lynch has stated he will sign the bill tonight. It passed the house today by about 20 votes.

Remember this next year when these people are up for reelection. They can't keep our taxes in line, but they can outlaw smoking in bars and pass gay marriage.
And that is a good thing. YAY for New Hampshire! One more state!!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,238 times
i hope this joker is voted out of office by the time i get there in 2011. you think acorn will register me to vote here in texas for the next governor election in nh?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,009 times
this post will probably get pulled pretty soon so I might as well get my opinion in now while I can... There is suppose to be a seperation between church and state and we are all suppose to be equal under the constitution, so why is any government getting involved - OH YEAH because they get money off marriage licenses. Why not only recognize civil unions for everyone, and holy matrimony is a religeous event. when someone gets married at a justice of the peace the church does not recognize it or recognize divorces, so no more marriage licenses only civil union licenses. just get rid of the word marriage altogether

Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
And that is a good thing. YAY for New Hampshire! One more state!!
Please, by all means--tell me how undermining religion and destroying traditional families is a "good thing".

Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
this post will probably get pulled pretty soon so I might as well get my opinion in now while I can...
As long as we keep it civil I don't see a problem. I just don't want people getting all bent out of shape when they are asked difficult questions.

Debate, good. Attacks, bad.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Congratulations NH.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Congratulations NH.
Again, congratulations for what? Please don't equate gay marriage with the civil rights movement. That dog won't hunt.

Civil unions not enough? When does it go from "equal treatment" to "special treatment"? Please don't ask me to condone that lifestyle, because it simply isn't going to happen. What you do in the privacy of your bedroom is your business. When you let it DEFINE you, as many in the gay/lesbian movement have done, you have become a parody of yourselves.

Just sayin.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,626 times
Quote:
Please, by all means--tell me how undermining religion and destroying traditional families is a "good thing".
I still don't see how either is an issue. The issue at hand is whether or not two legally consenting individuals can enter into a legal contract with one another and if that legal contract should use different or the same terminology as another two legally consenting individuals.

First, I am happily married and in a traditional family. I do not see how Jon & Peter getting married undermines the value that my wife and I place on our relationship in any way, shape, or form.

Second, if I recall this measure has nothing to do with religion (separation of church & state right?); if the catholic church refuses to marry same sex couples they can continue to do so, much as many catholic churches do for non-catholic & catholic mixed couples. It is a private church decision and has nothing to do with the legal term of "marriage" that the state is involved with.

So in short- if it bothers you, don't attend a church that will marry homosexuals and don't attend a homosexuals wedding. Regardless of how personally repulsive you find homosexual relationships to be; the legal contract of marriage is exactly that- a contract that should be able to be entered into by any consenting individuals.

Do not confuse legal marriage contracts and the uniting of individuals in holy matrimony under God.

As I have said before, I do not believe the state should play ANY roll in marriages; but since they do- all individuals should be entitled to equal rights and terminology under the law.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,517 times
Quote:
Again, congratulations for what? Please don't equate gay marriage with the civil rights movement. That dog won't hunt.

Civil unions not enough? When does it go from "equal treatment" to "special treatment"? Please don't ask me to condone that lifestyle, because it simply isn't going to happen. What you do in the privacy of your bedroom is your business. When you let it DEFINE you, as many in the gay/lesbian movement have done, you have become a parody of yourselves.

Just sayin.
As an African American, I can see how the two can be equated.
Im not homosexual. I don't "understand" homosexuality (it boggles my mind how any one can be attracted to men...im surprised women find us good looking..LOL).
But back to the serious topic: how can the two not be compared?

Undermining religion? Well the Bible speaks against Christians and non-Christians marrying. Should we not allow that?

Destroying traditional families? Interracial couples were, for much of history (and even today) seen as non-tradition. Should we ban interracial marriages?

Legalizing gay marriage does not force you to condone the lifestyle. And its certainly not special treatment (again, would myself wanting to marry a white, hispanic, asian, ect woman be "special treatment" because that would certainly not be seen as "traditional").

Congratulations New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire