Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 AM

274 posts, read 952,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollycool View Post
yes I really wanted to move to Plymouth area of NH, job interview from Apria Healthcare fell thru, everyone tried to turn me off of it due to the expense of living there??
Some things are more expensive simply because they're worth it.

What is it that has you attracted you to the Plymouth area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I live in Londonderry NH and like it a lot except from mid December through mid March. I don't handle the cold as well anymore.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM

91 posts, read 307,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnFlyer View Post
Can you tell me if there are any areas of town I should consider or shy away from when looking for houses?
Honestly? I can't think of any place off the top of my head. I've lived in East, Center and North Conway and there weren't any places that I knew of to avoid. Maybe someone else from the area could chime in? I guess I'd just suggest to research the neighborhood thoroughly (which I'm sure you would anyway) and you could always call the local PD and ask them.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any better help in that area. Good luck house hunting! It's a beautiful time of year to visit and to house shop. Try to keep in mind our long and cold winters. Windows, roofs, and basements need to be well sealed and well insulated.

Have fun!!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMishy View Post
I'm sorry I couldn't be of any better help in that area.
Please, no apologies necessary. You have been a tremendous help, and I have absolutely loved talking with you. It really shows how much you like the area.

Since you and Greg both referenced the winters, I'll ask a question my daughter would love to ask. Do you get to enjoy a white Christmas very often?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Since you and Greg both referenced the winters, I'll ask a question my daughter would love to ask. Do you get to enjoy a white Christmas very often?
A green Christmas is EXTREMELY rare in Conway.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,275 times
Hello!
I lived in the Mt. Washington Valley area for a total of 11 years. The first time around, I worked in the hotels, so I can tell you all sorts of touristy things about North Conway, etc. The second time around I worked at a place where we helped people find jobs.

I've lived in Pinkham Notch ("Downtown Pinkham" lol), Glen, Intervale, North Conway, and Conway. My favorite is probably Conway because if you chose the right place, you can get in and out of town and avoid traffic easily. Conway is still close enough to the mountains, yet close to the roads that lead to Southern NH and Maine. The times I lived in NC, I had to plan my days according to tourist traffic. It just became a way of life, though.

I don't live up there any longer, but I cannot even begin to tell you how much I miss the mountains. I miss how Mt. Washington looks different every time you see it. I miss seeing the mountains at sunrise. I miss seeing them at sunset. I miss the random streams you can stick your feet in on a hot summer day on your way home from work. I miss all the quiet 'hiding spots' I found over the years - on the fringes of the hills, others deep in the mountains.

Oh I could go on and on and on.

Not sure if someone answered this already? There's one public high school, in Conway.

There is plenty to do up there. Lots of local music, concerts, arts & crafts shows, tons of shopping of course, much hiking and sight-seeing and skiing and canoeing and camping and lots and lots of activities for children.

Finding a decent job is a bit tougher, but it's better than it used to be. Just takes some patience. Okay, lots of patience...

-Lily

Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM

311 posts, read 994,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollycool View Post
yes I really wanted to move to Plymouth area of NH, job interview from Apria Healthcare fell thru, everyone tried to turn me off of it due to the expense of living there??
I've lived 20 minute drive north of Plymouth for 27 years and LOVE it. Prior to that, spent 20 years living in Lancaster and LOVED that (well, loved it more after I left...learned to appreciate living above the notch more when I was an adult!).

Plymouth proper does have higher than perhaps normal property taxes because of all the property off the tax rolls (university, hospital & other non-profits). However, it has a wonderful small-town feel PLUS the benefits of a much larger town (university, hospital, good school system, etc.).

DM me if you want to know more about Plymouth and the surrounding area. It's a wonderful central location that provides you easy access to the mountains, lakes, cities, and ocean.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the information Lily. Conway is sounding better and better. Finding a job isn't much of a concern. Finding the right location as you said will be more of a challenge since I'm not as familair with the area.

BTW I noticed Conway has some sort of Rec Center. What is it like? A girl that works in the hotel industry in Durango turned me on to their rec center and we loved it. They have indoor pools, water slides, rock climbing walls, etc. for year around use. Are there any indoor pools like that in the area?

So are you planning to ever return to NH? If so would you return to Conway or some other area?

Thanks for the post Lily.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
BTW I noticed Conway has some sort of Rec Center. What is it like? A girl that works in the hotel industry in Durango turned me on to their rec center and we loved it. They have indoor pools, water slides, rock climbing walls, etc. for year around use. Are there any indoor pools like that in the area?
I hope it's ok if I hop on and answer the question. There is a rec center, but they're very small and have no pools, water slides, ect. The place they meet used to be a school building. They have a basketball court, places for the kids to do things like pool (billiards), foosball and they usually have sports for the kids (T-ball, baseball, ect). The Conway Rec center does have a website online if you look it up. If you are looking for a place that has an indoor pool, climbing wall, ect check out the Cranmore Fitness Club. They have a bunch of adult and children programs complete with swimming classes and climbing classes.

Last edited by JMishy; 09-10-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Silly me, edited the wrong thing

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for jumping in. Looks like I owe you yet again.

I checked out Cranmore which looks very good. Sadly they don't have the high dives and water slides like the indoor rec center in Durango, but at least it's a place my daughter can swim indoors which would be important in the NE. I've never seen a kid stay in a pool as much as she does. By age 6 she could already give the lifeguards at the country club a run for their money cleaning toys off the bottom of the deep end.

BTW thanks again for that link you shot me on the Department of Revenue. It has been very useful, and I'd encourage anyone who is self employed and planning to move to NH to do their homework. The taxes could be rough on a self employed individual unless you set up your tax plan correctly in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire