Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM

63 posts, read 187,578 times

Advertisements

Stabile used to have a good reputation back in the 80's-90's not sure if they still do though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
Anyone have any idea how many $ per square foot homes typically run in NH? I'm figuring for a very traditional 8 room colonial, nothing with very steep roofs or out of the ordinary.
It seems to REALLY vary based on the location, an area we looked at in Merrimack ran about $150-$180 a square foot for fairly normal homes including a 2 acre lot.

Here's 3 "built your own" tips for you since you brought it up:
1) Thicker framing members & subsequently thicker high quality insulation as well as high quality insulated windows will pay themselves off with lower heating and cooling bills in no time.
2) Ice/Water shield membrane under shingles around edge of roof and in valleys will help prevent ice dams from damaging your home (or a last-forever metal roof with well placed "ice brakes" is even better...and will reduce your homeowners insurance slightly)
3) Casement windows almost always seal/insulate better than double-hung (vinyl glad with wood core/interior is your best bet).

Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
I also dealt with Chris Cahill ((Christopher Cahill Construction, Inc. - Nashua, NH) Christopher Cahill Construction Inc. Home) to get a quote for some home repairs from water damage. He's got a good reputation and really struck me as beyond exceptionally professional during the quoting process (we had the work done by a friend, but would have gone with Chris's company otherwise). His brother's roofing company also has a great reputation- so it must run in the family.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:15 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Quote:
What about Chinburg builders, anyone have any thoughts on them? They seem to be big in NH. Quality?

never heard of them - looked them up and they are only about 20 years old as a company - the other builders mentioned have been around longer

from their website: Envirnonmental Remediation

would that be non-mental building?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,417 times
We roof for two great builders but in the Lakes Region. Joe Hogan Builders, Hebron & Jim Shokal Builders, Bridgewater.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,155 times
Leighton Builders of Dover, NH. Good friend of mine owns the company, very honest and does quality work. They're in the phonebook.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,282 times
I think we all know the cost of a home per square foot in New Hampshire is twice the national average and with considerably poor quality. Why would you pay twice the national average to build a micky mouse 2/3 scale home in New Hampshire when you could have quality of life somewhere else?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM

186 posts, read 848,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychanthrope View Post
I think we all know the cost of a home per square foot in New Hampshire is twice the national average and with considerably poor quality. Why would you pay twice the national average to build a micky mouse 2/3 scale home in New Hampshire when you could have quality of life somewhere else?
Do you have any evidence to support this statement? If so I'd like to see it. I have not done comparisons to other states so I am not sure if there is any truth to this.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
potatosoup, I would suggest that you read each of the posts that the individual that you quoted has made since he or she joined on 7/5, and then consider the source when reading the 'information' that they share...
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=14040927

Quote:
Do you have any evidence to support this statement? If so I'd like to see it. I have not done comparisons to other states so I am not sure if there is any truth to this.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Default Baseless claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by lychanthrope View Post
Sounds like someone has a personal axe to grind with NH. Probably miserable wherever he or she is. Housing (and the labor to construct it) isn't cheap in NH, but people continue to move here anyway, so there must be some truth to NH's good quality of life. With my projected military retirement, I could live like a king in places like MS, LA, or ND, but I will choose to man up and pay a little extra to live in NH - quality of life is everything to me. I've been to some of those "low cost" states - you can have them. If $$ was the only concern, we'd only get people from CA, MA, and NY here in NH. To them, NH probably seems like a bargain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire