Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Study: Texts While Driving Even More Dangerous - ABC News

I am not saying that "banning" texting while driving solves anything at all, but it appears that texting is far more dangerous than talking on a cell phone while driving.
I don't think anybody here will argue that. However there are already laws that cover driving like an idiot. A ban does nothing but impose on my freedoms because other people are morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Well we already have a Distracted Driving law which is supposed to cover all aspects of driving while doing whatever. However that is not sufficient enough for nanny staters. They want to control every aspect of your life under the guise of "protecting" you. Why is driving while texting any more dangerous than driving while eating, putting on make up, changing a radio station, using your cell phone, etc? The fact that they implement a texting ban while we already have a Driver Distracted law only shows how this is about control and not safety.
Absolutely!! I was just going to say that myself. I agree, texting while drive is stupid and dangerous- however we don't need a law specifically addressing it when we already HAVE a law that covers it (and many others). That's the objection.

Problem, is that from what I've seen it's the Democrats who can't seem to notice that the objection is to ennacting laws we don't need - not that the situation may not be a bad one, but it's already covered, and all these laws are simply ridiculous constraints. Why could the restaurants choose to create a smoking area that properly contained/vented the stench? That way us non-smokers could eat our meals without the smell & smoke, and the smokers could go over to that section and be happy. But, they weren't given the choice on taking the expense or not: just 'wham! no smoking allowed.'

Greg, don't you realize that you're arguing the wrong targets??? Republicanism and religion have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I don't think anybody here will argue that. However there are already laws that cover driving like an idiot. A ban does nothing but impose on my freedoms because other people are morons.
Well, I was almost in a car accident because some idiot driver was texting. A ban will accomplish absolutely nothing, but I think it is an increasing problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Study: Texts While Driving Even More Dangerous - ABC News

I am not saying that "banning" texting while driving solves anything at all, but it appears that texting is far more dangerous than talking on a cell phone while driving.
Well I suppose driving with a blindfold is more dangerous then everything that I mentioned but we don't have a law against that. At this rate we should just all have cameras installed in our eyes and the government can follow every action that they deem dangerous and fine us accordingly. Where does this nonsense end?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,588 times
Quote:
Well, I was almost in a car accident because some idiot driver was texting. A ban will accomplish absolutely nothing, but I think it is an increasing problem.
That sucks for you and I hope you weren't injured too bad. We need to punish the person that hit you, not everyone. That is a major problem with our country. We don't punish those who do something wrong. We punish everyone for the actions of a few morons.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Absolutely!! I was just going to say that myself. I agree, texting while drive is stupid and dangerous- however we don't need a law specifically addressing it when we already HAVE a law that covers it (and many others). That's the objection.

Problem, is that from what I've seen it's the Democrats who can't seem to notice that the objection is to ennacting laws we don't need - not that the situation may not be a bad one, but it's already covered, and all these laws are simply ridiculous constraints. Why could the restaurants choose to create a smoking area that properly contained/vented the stench? That way us non-smokers could eat our meals without the smell & smoke, and the smokers could go over to that section and be happy. But, they weren't given the choice on taking the expense or not: just 'wham! no smoking allowed.'

Greg, don't you realize that you're arguing the wrong targets??? Republicanism and religion have nothing to do with it.
Well regarding the smoking ban-I think it goes beyond that. Why should someone who busted their butt to build a resturant-worked long hard hours be told by the government that they cannot have smoking in THEIR establishment? If I as a business owner want to be successful then I listen to my customers. If the majority want smoking, then I have it be smoking. Before they implemented the ban, some places around the state went smoke free due to the owner listening to their customers. Others kept a seperate smoking section because of customer request. If you are a customer and don't like a place that allows smoking go elsewhere. Isn't that what Capitalism is supposed to be about? If I want to operate a successful business I compete for cutomers through knowing what they want and desire not by having government tell me what to do and thereby not giving customers a choice.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
That sucks for you and I hope you weren't injured too bad. We need to punish the person that hit you, not everyone. That is a major problem with our country. We don't punish those who do something wrong. We punish everyone for the actions of a few morons.
By "almost" I mean a fender bender. It could have been much worse. His insurance paid for my car repairs.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your accident glad it was not worse. I agree it is a problem but I don't believe a ban is the solution. While I don't agree with a ban on cell phones etc. while driving, I think that many people today are not only rude in stores and other public places but they also do drive unsafely. However more times than not they are the same rude reckless people that are just using the newest invention for their bad behavior. I think there are people who behave this way with or without a technological device.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Nicole, I agree with what you're saying about the smoking ban. It should have been up to the owner to decide what/how they wanted to handle the situation. True, I as a non-smoker married to an asthmatic, much prefer a non-smoking environment, and we did avoid certain restaurants because of the smoke factor. However, to make a law that says 'you have no choice, you must do X' is wrong. Now, as I understand it, the law is also supposedly for the employees so that they don't have to jeopardize their health with second-hand smoke just for a job.. and, maybe I'm just cynical here, but who's insisting they have to have THAT job? BTW: my text should have said 'why couldn't the restaurants choose to create a smoking area...'

Some states already do ban talking on cell phones while driving. I believe NY makes you pull over to talk, other states (DC does, not sure about VA) insist on hands-free - you have to use a bluetooth or something. And some argue that it's still too distracting, and yes, dialing on your cell phone is distracting you away from watching the road. However... how is it any different than choosing a CD to listen to and popping that in, or talking with the other people in the car? I can't see that it's more distractable than either of those situations, so I can't see insisting on banning them. That and I hate just creating laws because people have no common sense. Otherwise, it's a 'new' technology and it can be abused like any, or about he same as previous situations. Please drive responsibly!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
The election in 2010 will indicate whether NH is going the way of MA or not. If the Democrats maintain control, then the Republican's losses in 2006 and 2008 were not due to the Bush administration.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire