Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM

137 posts, read 384,438 times

Advertisements

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

29 posts, read 117,467 times
I have lived in over a dozen states, north, south, east and west. I have lived overseas on several occasions. The first time I moved to NH was in 1994 and I lived in North Country. We moved from Arizona. Financially, I wasn't prepared to live in NH, it was challenging. The cost of living in New England is higher than the South/Southwest. I loved the natural environment, the mountains, rivers, forests--beautiful surroundings and a safe area to raise my children. However, it was a challenge for them to fit in, they were outsiders (aka "flatlanders"). We lived there for nearly 2 years. From there we lived in Kansas, Germany, Italy and Texas. My husband and I moved back to NH 2 years ago, are in a much better station in life, and absolutely love it here. Texas was brutal, as someone else had mentioned, the constant heat limited my quality of life. I missed the 4 seasons, I missed seeing majestic trees, mountains, waterfalls, the ocean, all that New England has to offer. I can barely function in triple digit temps but have no problems with the cold. I love northern New England (VT, NH, ME). I think everyone has their own climate they flourish in--just like certain animals thrive better in different climates.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 16,050 times
For people talking about Seasonal Affective Disorder: In my experience the lack of sunlight is a big drawback to Northern New England. Vermont and New Hampshire (can't speak for Maine) get significantly less sun than probably the entire rest of the east coast. It's cloudy very often or it's snowing, raining or overcast.

When I moved to Boston I was startled and uplifted by the number of clear sunny days, summer and winter. My Background: I've lived in NC and SC for about 7 years total, FL for 1 year, Boston for 3 years, grew up in Vermont.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM

25 posts, read 44,048 times
Default Not there yet, but to reasons to move to NH..

For me - there are numerous reasons to move to NH - the worst reason not to would probably be the winter - BUT....I like the 'political' climate there much better - NO SEAT BELT LAWS thank you!
I don't have to tell the state gov. about every penny I make - when I own a business, I do not have to share with the state my revenue!
There are many 'independents' in NH , but I also like the fact that so many people of all political leanings are aware and concerned about politics in general.
The FREE STATE PROJECT has a list of 101 REASONS TO MOVE TO NH
Pretty good list!.
I wasn't as 'bowled over' about NH when I visited last fall , but I didn't get to go to Lakes region etc. either.
As I said though, I like the culture, the political verve etc. It's not all about the weather, I like my 'freedom' and NH has more of that most other states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
"NO SEAT BELT LAWS thank you!"

wrong - children must be buckled up

and a business profits tax.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 AM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
No one has ever moved to NH in the course of history and regretted it......ever....

Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
It's hard to leave once you've settled into N.H. living-if you have a good job and even if you hate your job, there is so much nature and beauty to compensate, it's really a wonderful place to call home.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 41,074 times
Thumbs down Moved to Manchester in August from Kansas..

Yes, i have regretted moving here for various different reasons. If you want to know specifics send me a message.

I decided to edit my post because I did not want it to sound like a evil person, not all of NH is bad I am sure but like they say everything is not meant for everyone.

Last edited by Kenjermin; 03-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: To much rant

Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
No one has ever moved to NH in the course of history and regretted it......ever....
I think Ken from Kansas might disagree with you...

Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I think Ken from Kansas might disagree with you...
Ya....
He edited his rant, but i still got it as an email.......
It was 'wicked'....
and sounds like he's 'all set' to leave our fair lands.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire