Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM

497 posts, read 953,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
But which realtor from that group did you work with? There is about 5 or 6 of them there. We are looking for a realtor who cares, not just there for the money. Over the years we dumped so many realtors. We need a caring person, yes maybe someone from that same company you named, but please give us a name.

Thanks
All will be of assistance. Pinkham is a small, family run business. This small company is all about the client, not about the money. I worked with them for over a year over the net before we ever went to actually view homes.

Try Josh Linda, Peter or Steve, they are just another great part of that company.

We received first class handling, and constant communications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,366 times
Good Morning all!
I currently live just outside of Boulder, CO and am looking to move back east closer to the white mountain range. I have been in Colorado ever since 1970, and this state has exploded. Frankly, I'm just not happy here anymore. Its too dry, its too hot, and there are far too many people moving here. The economy is so far out of control, that the locals can no longer afford to live here. I love the idea of relocating back to a small "locally owned" town. Places and events you can walk to from just outside of town. I am a handyman/interior designer by trade and don't want to make any assumptions, but would it be a fair assumption that I would find stability in that field of work in any of these small towns? I have not found which town to focus on, but I obviously want to make the right choice when it comes time to pack up. I would LOVE any input that anyone out there might be able to give on this dream. I will be looking to rent an apartment/small cabin/guest house until I can stabilize financially, then possibly look into a small home with a bit of property. I'm 52 yrs. old and my idea of retirement doesn't include looking over a fence into another neighbors back yard..

thanks everybody!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:25 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times
Post Locals can no longer afford to buy/rent property here, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisleverentz View Post
Its too dry, its too hot, and there are far too many people moving here. The economy is so far out of control, that the locals can no longer afford to live here.
Do you mean the sale price of houses and the rental rates, or overall cost-of-living?

I'm not aware of any unusual localized increase in non-housing-related expenses, just the usual inflation seen nationwide on all commodities and services...

Quote:
I love the idea of relocating back to a small "locally owned" town. Places and events you can walk to from just outside of town.
Not sure about that last bit -- places and events tend to be spread out in rural areas here, and "walkability" is a rarity especially near the mountains. We're also seeing a real estate boom pricing locals out of the housing market.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:20 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Quote:
Good Morning all!
I currently live just outside of Boulder, CO and am looking to move back east closer to the white mountain range. I have been in Colorado ever since 1970, and this state has exploded. Frankly, I'm just not happy here anymore. Its too dry, its too hot, and there are far too many people moving here. The economy is so far out of control, that the locals can no longer afford to live here. I love the idea of relocating back to a small "locally owned" town. Places and events you can walk to from just outside of town. I am a handyman/interior designer by trade and don't want to make any assumptions, but would it be a fair assumption that I would find stability in that field of work in any of these small towns? I have not found which town to focus on, but I obviously want to make the right choice when it comes time to pack up. I would LOVE any input that anyone out there might be able to give on this dream. I will be looking to rent an apartment/small cabin/guest house until I can stabilize financially, then possibly look into a small home with a bit of property. I'm 52 yrs. old and my idea of retirement doesn't include looking over a fence into another neighbors back yard..

thanks everybody!
You're aware that we have the same problem here due to the COVID-exodus from points south?

Old 09-14-2021, 04:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
If you haven't been to the White Mountains since the 1970s, you may be in for a surprise. Last time I was there was in August 2018 - stayed in Lincoln with a couple of friends and did a little hiking. I was shocked at how crowded it was - in town and at the trailheads. I am sure other areas are quieter, but the prime places see a *lot* of visitors now - and that was pre-Covid.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:19 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If you haven't been to the White Mountains since the 1970s, you may be in for a surprise. Last time I was there was in August 2018 - stayed in Lincoln with a couple of friends and did a little hiking. I was shocked at how crowded it was - in town and at the trailheads. I am sure other areas are quieter, but the prime places see a *lot* of visitors now - and that was pre-Covid.
It was also quite busy when I visited last August (even with masking in place). Interesting going into Loon Mountain, Flume Gorge and Franconia Notch with everyone else and their dog. Beautiful scenery, of course, but not as peaceful.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:44 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
It was also quite busy when I visited last August (even with masking in place). Interesting going into Loon Mountain, Flume Gorge and Franconia Notch with everyone else and their dog. Beautiful scenery, of course, but not as peaceful.
Fewer people go to the trails north of the notches, I like all the trails in Randolph, NH off highway 2- that is a great area.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:14 AM

219 posts, read 366,880 times
Quote:
Good Morning all!

thanks everybody!
Gorham immediately comes to mind when reading your post but walkable and no fence are incompatible anywhere I have ever been in the world. There will always be work for a handyman in the MWV (Mount Washington Valley) but it has become saturated with city folk. Gorham was a down on their luck former mill town for a number of years but appears to be on the rebound; it is also the next logical place for people that want access to the mountains without the crowd or cost of the 93 corridor or the MWV. Berlin is another option but a rougher area with many years to go before the rebound starts.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:04 AM

830 posts, read 1,539,439 times
The person currently asking about the White Mountains said they are 52 years old (something I missed on the first reading.) It’s not clear if they have ever visited the White Mountains, but in any case, if they have been in Colorado since 1970 they have been there since infancy. People “out west” often say “move back east,” even if they have never been here. It always confuses me. But I assume the person does not have experience with this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire