Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,233 times

Advertisements

has burned to the ground,other buildings affected
any more news?pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
I'm going over now to take a look at it. I'll bring my camera. It's SO sad. The Surf Motel, the Happy Hampton Arcade, Mrs. Mitchell's Country Gift shop, the Candy store, all gone. That was the start of the nicer end of the beach too, it's going to be very strange not seeing that block of businesses this summer! My nieces & a lot of their good friends worked at that arcade for years. The owners are the nicest people, in fact, a lot of the teens on the seacoast worked there thru the years, it'll be very missed. As bad as the beach is getting these days with their clientele, it's still a family beach with a lot of great memories for so so many people.

I'll keep you posted, I'm on my way over there right now, IF they let cars thru that is. In the various towns around the seacoast, there's a TON of trees down from the wind last night. It seemed like it was a mini tornado or something. The guy near us has 5 trees down in his driveway and all over his front lawn, you can't even see his house there's so many limbs, branches and big roots sticking up, one of the trees just missed the guys car on the next property over from them, they were very lucky, their daughter parks on the side of the house and the branches from the tree were right across her car, but no damage at all thankfully. There seems to be a lot of property damage from this storm last night. I know that wind sounded SO ferocious, didn't it!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Unhappy Fire @ Hampton Beach

I took some pictures, I hope they download okay. This is the first time I'm downloading to City-Data, so let me know if you got them okay. I hope they get thru because they're good ones. Every one in creation was at the beach this morning taking pictures. I had chills watching the firemen, they were fantastic and to think they were up all night long with that raging fire. It was so emotional over there, In fact, on the way back? I felt as if I was walking back to my car after a wake or a funeral! SO very sad to see this happen at that beach. Life goes on though, it has to, hopefully they make the beach even better after this catastrophe. The winds were so bad on the seacoast last night that WBZ radio said they were 91 MPH, beyond hurricane winds believe it or not. ALSO this morning they said it was the 3rd fire in this same exact spot in the last 100 years and all of them caused and made worse by wind. Boy when Mother Nature acts up, she acts up in a big way lately.

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0013.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0014.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0011.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0010.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0012.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0016.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0017.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0018.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0023.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0020.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0021.jpg

surf motel,hampton beach-img_0025.jpg

Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,105,233 times
Default another question

it is just such a shame about the fire, I have so many wonderful memories of walking around down there
I was reading Seacoast News online and they said roads were closed, we have a place on North Shore Rd in Hampton and that was one of the roads closed anyone know what kind of damage was done on that st?thanks in advance

Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times

Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
the devastation at the beach is just unbelievable.

what a storm, huh? I've never seen anything like it, even when comparing to the ice storm of December 2008. My road was blocked from downed trees and powerlines and I had no power from Thursday night 10:30PM until 6:30PM last night. 4 days without power. It was nearly impossible to keep pipes from freezing without a generator. I borrowed one to keep the wood pellet stove running, but it wasn't big enough to run anything else. Candle power was the order of the day.

there are reports that during the height of the fire at Hampton Beach, there was limited response because SO MANY residents of NH were without power and calling to report downed trees, power lines and roofs being lifted off their homes. with sustained winds of 70mph and gusts of 90mph+, it's not surprising. My roof was nearly stripped on the east side where the wind was blowing. I spent all weekend replacing shingles.

I'm so glad to have power back again.

N.H. governor declares emergency; wind-fed blaze rips through beach town - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
link ^ with picture of fire devastation and reports of wind damaged homes.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,924 times
Jeez, I worked at the Happy Hampton a lifetime ago in the mid 70s. Was back east this past spring for my daughter's college graduation and drove them down to Hampton to show them where I grew up; it's just a vacant lot now. Good for beachgoer's parking, bad for the Beach. I remember when Giovanni's burnt: hard offshore winds blew the flames across Ocean Blvd. I take it this was an onshore wind?
Thanks for posting these pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire