Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM

84 posts, read 333,747 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I heard that there have been some recent changes in the taxation of LLC's in NH and I had a quick question for those of you who are in the know.

If someone owns a small business that is already set up as an LLC in another state and ends up moving to NH, does that person get hit with the new LLC tax?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM

274 posts, read 953,337 times
The answer to your question lies in whether or not a "nexus" can be established. Read up on the Business Profits Tax at the New Hampshire Department of Revenue's site.

Nexus is defined as some definite link, or minimum connection, between the state and the entity it seeks to tax. Normally, sufficient nexus for income tax purposes (NH Business Profits Tax) is established when an entity owns, leases property or performs services in the state, employs personnel in the state or has capital or property in the state. If you are an out-of-state business that sells or leases tangible personal property in this state check out N.H. Code of Admin. Rule, Rev. 304.01 for statutes regarding establishment of a nexus.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,249,234 times
Default NH repealing LLC tax

They're in the process of repealing the tax now.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM

To both of you, thanks for the info...

MtnFlyer: So correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me as though the owner of the out of state LLC would in fact be liable for income taxes if they were a NH resident.

NHartphotog: Any estimate on when that repeal will be a possibility?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 AM

274 posts, read 953,337 times
Currently it's very possible. Also don't forget that even though there is technically no income tax for regular wages, there is a tax on interest and dividend income.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,249,234 times
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
They're in the process of repealing the tax now.
They WERE going to repeal it; all these new taxes are driving business from NH at a time when the economy can least afford it. But the Democrats got the repeal stalled. A rush decision to pass new taxes, then years of trying to go back to where we were before the NH legislative spending/taxing spree of the past few years.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
They WERE going to repeal it; all these new taxes are driving business from NH at a time when the economy can least afford it. But the Democrats got the repeal stalled. A rush decision to pass new taxes, then years of trying to go back to where we were before the NH legislative spending/taxing spree of the past few years.
That is such a shame and most certainly a dealbreaker for me.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM

259 posts, read 602,437 times
I saw something on the news about this tonight, but I wasn't paying any attention. You might check the WMUR web site and see if there's a story there. The little bit I caught said they were repealing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire